When were wings unfolded on carriers?

Old September 5th 05, 09:01 AM

Default When were wings unfolded on carriers?

I realize this is probably a large and complicated subject and varied
between aircraft and carriers, but just as a gross oversimplification
when would naval carrier aircraft typically fold up their wings and
unfold them?
Obviously, they would have to be unfolded before takeoff But
would it be true to say that all planes had their wings folded up
inside
the hangar? Was there some SOP for planes on the flight deck and/or
elevators. Was WW2 different than say modern jets?

thanks, kyle

Old September 5th 05, 02:05 PM
niceguy

There is both a space and safety issue involved with folding wings. In
general, wings are folded ASAP after landing. At least, they were when I
last worked on the flight deck (late sixties).

oups.com...

Old September 5th 05, 02:16 PM

On 5 Sep 2005 01:01:33 -0700, wrote:

I realize this is probably a large and complicated subject and varied
between aircraft and carriers, but just as a gross oversimplification
when would naval carrier aircraft typically fold up their wings and
unfold them?

In my experience with S2s (now approaching 35 years old ;-) ) wings
were folded immediately upon landing (hook up, flaps up, wings folded)
while taxiing clear of the wires and clear of the "foul line." It was
a busy time, with the co-pilot doing most of it as we had under 20
seconds (the interval between landings) to get 'er done and get clear.

For a launch, we would start engines, run up, and do everything but
spread "in the pack." As we approached the cat we would spread and
then taxi onto the rail. At that time we were also completing the
take-off check list so that when we got into position we were ready to
go. Again, a good co-pilot was a joy forever.

Obviously, they would have to be unfolded before takeoff But
would it be true to say that all planes had their wings folded up
inside
the hangar?

We did not have any aircraft aboard that could be spread on the hanger
deck. If maintenance needed to spread the wings it was coordinated
through the Air Boss and done on the Flight Deck. I don't know about
other aircraft.

Was there some SOP for planes on the flight deck and/or
elevators.

Spotting aircraft is a Black Art practiced by Flight and Hanger Deck
Officers, assisted by their chief priest, the ABCM*!!!!! Most of the
time they are "spot on." Of course, there was the night they lost my
aircraft, but that's another story! ;-)

You spot IAW your operational needs. If you conducting regular ops
then there is constant movement as aircraft are launched, recovered,
and serviced. If you are not conducting ops then the pace is MUCH
more relaxed. But the Flight Deck is one of the most dangerous
industrial sites in the world, even when no ops are being conducted.

Like mules, modern aircraft bite from the front and kick from the
back. Service on the Flight Deck, even just going to and from your
aircraft, requires CONSTANT attention to the detail of what's going on
around you. I suspect this was the case on LANGLEY and I don't think
it has changed today.

Was WW2 different than say modern jets?

I suspect that there are some significant changes in detail, but the
major effort is still to get aircraft on the deck ASAP (the ship is
constrained in course and speed while recovering and this makes
captains nervous if there is a hostile threat in the area). Ditto for
a launch.

Bill Kambic

ABCM: Master Chief Aviation Boatswain's Mate
Old September 5th 05, 03:53 PM

In my experience aboard 5 carriers the wings are folded upon landing.
and unfolded on the catapult just before launch. I can remember only a
few occasions seeing aircraft on the hangar with the wings unfolded.
Usally and A-6 on jacks doing some sort of maint. check.

Would not know about WW ll.

I was in the USN from ' 71-' 91. My 25 year old son has been on active
duty for the last 7 years. He is a STG2(SW).

bd popeye

Old September 6th 05, 08:41 PM
W. D. Allen Sr.

"...the co-pilot doing most of it as we had under 20
seconds (the interval between landings) to get 'er done and get clear...."

We had to get it done in 20 seconds also but without a copilot!

WDA
VF-24 VA-192

Old September 7th 05, 04:45 PM
Charlie Wolf

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 09:16:47 -0400, wrote:

On 5 Sep 2005 01:01:33 -0700,
wrote:

I realize this is probably a large and complicated subject and varied
between aircraft and carriers, but just as a gross oversimplification
when would naval carrier aircraft typically fold up their wings and
unfold them?

In my experience with S2s (now approaching 35 years old ;-) ) wings
were folded immediately upon landing (hook up, flaps up, wings folded)

S-2's or S-3's?? S-2's are now approaching 60 years old. S-3's would
be in the neighborhood of 35 yr old....
Regards,

Old September 7th 05, 06:19 PM

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 10:45:55 -0500, Charlie Wolf
wrote:

S-2's or S-3's?? S-2's are now approaching 60 years old. S-3's would
be in the neighborhood of 35 yr old....

Stoofs. The last were retired in '75 time frame (from VS-73).

They are still flying with Brazil and Thailand (at a minimum) making
it one of the longest serving military aircraft of all time. :-)

Bill Kambic

Old September 7th 05, 07:05 PM
Mike Kanze

Bill,

....Not to mention the demilitarized Stoofs (TS-2As) flying for the
California Division of Forestry (CDF) as firefighter birds.

All (or nearly all) of these have been reengined with turboprops.

CDF has a long history of using former tailhook birds for firefighting. I
remember seeing a couple of CDF TBFs/TBMs at the Columbia (CA) airport in
the 1960s.

--
Mike Kanze

"If you ask a question you don't want an answer to, expect an answer you
don't want to hear."

- Rules From Guys