David Clarke Reviews

Old April 19th 04, 08:19 AM
Thomas Borchert

Cockpit,

the single thread that seems to consistently bind all
models of lightspeed is their unreliability.

I disagree. Don't base such statistics on usenet posts. They are in NO
way representative of what's really happening. Can't be, by design.

I have had my 20K since 1997 - no troubles.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 19th 04, 08:19 AM
Thomas Borchert

Mrqb,

If they are easier to damage then there is no sence in buying them but
somthing built with quality.

There are MANY other and possibly more important factors in headset
design. One is - tadah! - noise dampening capability. Another is
comfort. Few people consider David Clamps comfortable. (Yes, I know
you're out there...)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 19th 04, 02:32 PM
CVBreard

Minor annoyances are the screws on the
boom mike loosening, causing the mike to swing freely downward. Can be
easily tightened with a small screwdriver, but how often do you have one of
these at the start of a flight?

ALWAYS - each and every flight.

In my flight bag I have a Leatherman gizmo and a 4 in 1 real screwdriver.

Old April 19th 04, 03:23 PM
Newps

"skyliner" wrote in message

In regards to the ANR issue...Well, an ANR headset is on my list of "get
eventually" things, but not a big priority yet. I've had a chance to try a
number of ANR's out there, but I'll admit I haven't studied them that
closely. Main reason I've waited was that about two years ago I met a

Peltor
headset technician in the exhibitor area at Oshkosh. I was in the market

for
an ANR, and she actually discouraged me from getting one. Her explanation
was that ANR's work best for people with generally quiet aircraft that

have
a dull low noise level that causes fatigue. She indicated that ANR

headsets
attenuate low frequency noise well, which is what causes that fatigue over
time; but for the types of noisy general aviation aircraft that I teach

in,
it would be a better value to have a good passive headset, which works
better on the high frequency noise that causes hearing damage. Just having
an ANR that "sounds really quiet" wasn't necessarily an indication of good
overall hearing protection.

About what you'd expect from a salesman who's company who is getting their
ass kicked in the market. To put on an ANR headset in pretty much any spam
can and then to say, apparently with a straight face, that just because it
sounds quieter it really isn't is just assinine. I too have a pair of DC
13.4's. Absolutely no comparison. These pieces of crap will no doubt last
my lifetime, because they never get used. Saying not to get ANR is like
saying stick with Loran, GPS doesn't offer you much more.

Old April 19th 04, 05:55 PM
Cecil Chapman

I don't know,,,, my CFII has a pair (and it recently had gotten some kind of
refit/repair to correct a problem with the unit) and it was giving him lots
of trouble (cutting out entirely) just out of the repair shop. I say if you
are going to spend that kind of money,,,, they should be sturdy and
dependable.

Myself, I have been pleased with the Lightspeed products. I started,
originally with the QFR Solo and fairly recently moved to an ANR headset,
the 20XL and the the 3g series (I use the 20 XL for a passenger headset).

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL
Student-IASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -
"Peter" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote

I am after a David Clarke Headset but am not sure which one to buy.

Get a Bose X They are better than any D-C model. Not so good for a
club environment though (easier to damage)

Peter.
E-mail replies to but remove the X and the Y.

Old April 19th 04, 08:04 PM
Newps

"Cecil Chapman" wrote in message
. com...
Myself, I have been pleased with the Lightspeed products. I started,
originally with the QFR Solo and fairly recently moved to an ANR headset,
the 20XL and the the 3g series (I use the 20 XL for a passenger headset).

I went just the other way. Started out with the original 20K, then moved up
to the 25XL because they were offering a deal. The only thing I didn't like
about them was the earcups are too bulky. Now I have the QFR Cross Country.
I have two pairs of them now. And they are cheaper than the DC 13.4 non ANR
headset.

Old April 19th 04, 08:48 PM
gatt

"Brien K. Meehan" wrote in message

Consider your passengers too. Mine seem to be just fine when I wear a
pair of DC's on my head, but they look worried when I wear a pair of
nice silk underwear on my head.

Victoria's Secret definately offers the best noise reduction and comfort for
the price, and silk is actually pretty durable, although you can get bigger
sets cheaper at K-mart with the deluxe cotton head cushion.

-gatt
PDX, OR

Old April 19th 04, 08:58 PM
Cockpit Colin

I disagree. Don't base such statistics on usenet posts. They are in NO
way representative of what's really happening. Can't be, by design.

I take your point, and "Statistically Speaking" I wouldn't have a clue what
the "Margin of Error" is amongst usenet - however - If you have a bunch of
posts from Bose owners telling how their headsets are 99% reliable and
customer service is above question, and a bunch of posts from lightspeed
owners who (nearly) all say "Great customer service, just a pity I've needed
so much of it" then I stand by my assertation that it's a red flag.

Buying a unit from a company with a poor record for quality control doesn't
mean that everyone who does will get a dud - but it does increase the
chances dramatically. You're one of the 'trouble free' percentage, so well
done.

Old April 19th 04, 09:09 PM
SFM

I use the 13XL which is an ANR model. I switched over the DC after several
failures of my Lightspeeds. I have owned the LS 20XL and then the 20-3G both
when they worked well. My wife's LS QFR also had broken, so I was unwilling
to deal with their low quality any longer. Yes LS has good customer service
but their product quality is poor.

As for the DC 13XL. I have the newer version with the smaller battery pack,
undercut ear seals and extra padded head piece. I have found these to be
more comfortable than the LS. I like the smaller size of the DC over the LSs
too. When I would wear the LS it felt like I had giant Mickey Mouse ears on.
Quality is excellent for this headset and DC is well known for good customer
service even though most people never use it.

Catch the wave!
www.hamwave.com

**"A long time ago being crazy meant something, nowadays everyone is
crazy" -- Charles Manson**
-------------------------------------
"Paul" wrote in message
Hi

I am a student pilot hoping to take my checkride within the next month
(PPL/A).

I am after a David Clarke Headset but am not sure which one to buy.
Does anyone know of a good website that has independent reviews on all the
Dave Clarke models, the only reviews I can find are either on the David
Clarke website or on pilot supply websites but none of these seem to be
independent or detailed enough to make my decision.

I am not really interested in the detailed specifications, I am after
reviews from pilots who have used them (comfort, features, weight etc..)
ideally comparing the pro's and con's between the different models.

Thanks

Old April 19th 04, 10:10 PM
EDR

Well, I have six pairs of DC's.
My first two were acquired in 1981, two pairs of H10-40's (electret
mic, wire bales).
Then, in 1995, I bought a pair of H10-13.4Y's for the kids.
In 1997, a buddy gave me a pair of H10-13.4's when he sold his airplane.
These headset are comfortable if you have a narrow head.
For wider heads, you will feel "clamped".
So DC came up with the H20-10 series.
The H20-10's have bigger earcups with an adjustment that has three
positions to adjust the width.

My original H10-40's were sent back to DC for overhaul two years ago. I
was getting stress-relief breaks in the cords at the plugs (pre-molded
relief design).

I have gel seals and "comfort covers" on all six pairs.

I have worn them for up to 14 hours with only slight discomfort at the
end of the flight.

I always use an intercom, but wish PM Engineering would modify one of
their existing portable units to accomodate six headsets.