Gas Theft Nashua (ASH)

Old February 4th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Gas Theft Nashua (ASH)

Flew into Nashua last Sunday for business, topped off the tanks right
after setting down. When I came back from business on Thursday, found
the right tank down quite a bit. I was going crazy looking for the
leak and checking the drain for seepage, until the line guy pointed out
that he filled the tank back up exactly 5 gallons--which happens to be
the volume of a standard gas can. He said he'd seen it happen to
another plane on the line, both tanks down 5 gallons.

It was parked pretty much in front of the tower, but it is a low wing
parked in a line of high wings so I guess it made the easiest siphon
target.

I've never given any consideration to gas theft but I think in the
future I will top off right before taking off, as at least thirsty
tanks will make a less attractive target!

Hank Rausch
N9906T

Old February 4th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Hank Rausch" wrote:

Flew into Nashua last Sunday for business, topped off the tanks right
after setting down. When I came back from business on Thursday, found
the right tank down quite a bit. I was going crazy looking for the
leak and checking the drain for seepage, until the line guy pointed out
that he filled the tank back up exactly 5 gallons--which happens to be
the volume of a standard gas can. He said he'd seen it happen to
another plane on the line, both tanks down 5 gallons.

It was parked pretty much in front of the tower, but it is a low wing
parked in a line of high wings so I guess it made the easiest siphon
target.

I've never given any consideration to gas theft but I think in the
future I will top off right before taking off, as at least thirsty
tanks will make a less attractive target!

That has happened here in AZ, too. Acquaintance with a 421 was down *20*
gallons. It's a gaited airport, but it was at a tie-down near the
self-serve fuel station -- maybe somebody just got confused (har!).
Imagine seeing a twin, or any other airplane, and just helping yourself.
Unbelievable.
Old February 4th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I would ten times over risk gas theft over water condensation overnight in
half-full or nearly empty tanks.

Jim

oups.com...

Old February 4th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

would ten times over risk gas theft over water condensation overnight in
half-full or nearly empty tanks.

I have a Mooney so filling the tanks is a rare event (7 hours of gas is
way more than I need and I don't like pulling a yaht around with a
Corvette). I generally keep only about 10 gallons per side when parked.
I park outside and have yet to see any water in the 6 years I've had
the plane. Maybe the fact that a Mooney technically doesn't have fuel
"tanks" makes it different.

-Robert

Old February 4th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"RST Engineering" wrote:

I would ten times over risk gas theft over water condensation overnight
in half-full or nearly empty tanks.

There's not enough water in 20 gallons of air to matter.

How much water is there? In *extremely* wet conditions (saturated air
at 20 deg. C) there are only 14.7 g/kg of water in the air. A cubic
foot of air at SLP weighs about 34 grams at 20 C. 10 gallons is ~27 cu.
ft., so that gives about 900 g. of air and about 14 g. of water. Not a
problem.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old February 4th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

20 gallons is ~27 cu.
^^

Old February 4th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Hank Rausch" wrote in message

I've never given any consideration to gas theft

After 102 years of powered flight, you'd think locking gas caps would be
available.

Old February 4th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
"RST Engineering" wrote:

I would ten times over risk gas theft over water condensation overnight in
half-full or nearly empty tanks.

But, if you fill it up, and they siphon it out, don't you still have the
same problem?
Old February 4th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I've never given any consideration to gas theft

After 102 years of powered flight, you'd think locking gas caps would be
available.

If you hook up a tube to the fuel drain and the vent is working
properly, a locking cap won't make a difference.
Old February 4th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I would ten times over risk gas theft over water condensation overnight in
half-full or nearly empty tanks.

But, if you fill it up, and they siphon it out, don't you still have the
same problem?

First thing that came to my mind as well when I read that.

The Monk

Theft among friends bumper Soaring 8 July 29th 05 05:51 PM
Theft From Baggage-Continental [email protected] Piloting 73 April 2nd 05 08:17 AM
A-10s at Nashua, NH (ASH) today? William W. Plummer General Aviation 0 May 15th 04 04:03 PM
Good News! Arrest in plane theft case Jamie Rogers Piloting 10 November 8th 03 06:43 AM
Nashua Festival, Avidyne and WSI Doug Vetter Owning 9 September 24th 03 02:45 AM