Colibri II query

Old October 17th 12, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Default Colibri II query

Does anybody have a Colibri II logger?

This looks like a splendid device, capable of serving as a backup audio vario and a backup nav system as well as an approved logger. However, from reading the manual online it looks as though the only way of downloading an IGC file is via a micro SD card. Can anyone tell me if IGC files can be downloaded either to a PDA using something like ConnectMe or to a PC using a USB cable?

Thanks for any helpful info.

Mark Burton
Old October 17th 12, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I assume a micro SD card was supplied with your Calibri II. Use a SD card reader attached to a USB cable and download to your PC. Works fine. I've never had any trouble.

BTW, the Calibri II is a GREAT system. I send the GPS positions to my Oudie via a LX V-7.

Matt Herron
Old October 17th 12, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:08:13 AM UTC-7, waremark wrote:
Does anybody have a Colibri II logger? This looks like a splendid device, capable of serving as a backup audio vario and a backup nav system as well as an approved logger. However, from reading the manual online it looks as though the only way of downloading an IGC file is via a micro SD card. Can anyone tell me if IGC files can be downloaded either to a PDA using something like ConnectMe or to a PC using a USB cable? Thanks for any helpful info. Mark Burton

Mark,

SD card reader
The unit has an integral micro SD card reader positioned on the left side of the unit.
SD card is used for:
-Uploading TP (CUP format)
-Downloading flights from internal memory (IGC format)
-Uploading of flight declaration in LX format (.HDR )

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old October 18th 12, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The short answer is no. C2 works like Richard described. Insert the SD card into your PC or Mac, and move files back and forth. It will appear like any other SD card or USB storage device on your computer. I like it due to the features mentioned. My Nav unit took a vacation on my last flight (casual not competition), so I flew from TP to TP using the C2. Nice back up.
Old October 18th 12, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 7:08:13 PM UTC+1, waremark wrote:
Does anybody have a Colibri II logger?

This looks like a splendid device, capable of serving as a backup audio vario and a backup nav system as well as an approved logger. However, from reading the manual online it looks as though the only way of downloading an IGC file is via a micro SD card. Can anyone tell me if IGC files can be downloaded either to a PDA using something like ConnectMe or to a PC using a USB cable?

Thanks for any helpful info.

Mark Burton

I was considering one as a backup logger (LX 9000 in the panel). As mentioned, I like all the additional features compared to other loggers, but I find handling micro SD cards too fiddly. If that is the only way of downloading flights, I think I will do without the other clever backup features and get a (much cheaper) EW Microrecorder as my backup logger.
Old October 18th 12, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
pcool

I have a C2, using it as backup logger.
A backup logger should not need a battery, and the C2 works for more than 10
hours on its own internal battery.
I still have to understand how long it works without using the display, I
guess much more than 12 hours.
This device is a real backup recorder and navigator: if for any reason
during a competition your energy system goes nuts, or the main computer is
gone, you still have a navigation device in your pocket, with some velcro
you can stick it to the cockpit and go ahead.
What is the price difference?

paolo

Old October 18th 12, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:20:57 PM UTC-5, waremark wrote:
[...]

I'd get an LX Nano, but i might be a bit biased because I really like mine.
Old October 18th 12, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

On Oct 17, 6:20*pm, waremark wrote:
but I find handling micro SD cards too fiddly.

Waremark - Can you detail why you comment that MicroSD cards are too
fiddly? I use one in my Oudie and, while they are pretty small for
large hands to handle (don't drop one in tall grass!), they are
robust. I then use an MicroSD to SD adapter (cheap on eBay and other
sources) to allow it to be used in my laptops SD slot. You can also
purchase inexpensive USB readers which handle all types of cards,
including MicroSD. Thanks, John.

Old October 18th 12, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

On Thursday, October 18, 2012 2:38:05 PM UTC+1, JohnDeRosa wrote:
On Oct 17, 6:20*pm, waremark wrote:

but I find handling micro SD cards too fiddly.

Waremark - Can you detail why you comment that MicroSD cards are too

fiddly? I use one in my Oudie and, while they are pretty small for

large hands to handle (don't drop one in tall grass!), they are

robust. I then use an MicroSD to SD adapter (cheap on eBay and other

sources) to allow it to be used in my laptops SD slot. You can also

purchase inexpensive USB readers which handle all types of cards,

including MicroSD. Thanks, John.

Thanks for all the input which has been helpful.

I have a micro SD card and the associated adaptor which makes it possible to plug it into my laptop. However, I find it extremely fiddly, and it is far easier to plug the Oudie straight into the laptop using a USB cable. Obviously my fingers are clumsier than yours! I find it odd to have designed the Colibri II so that it cannot be downloaded direct to either a PDA or a PC..

Of the three loggers which have internal backup rechargeable batteries, the UK prices before discounts are Colibri II £528, Nano £470, and EW Microrecorder £330. The EW has a full size SD card and communicates with either a PDA or with a laptop. Its downsides are that it doesn't have the extra info of the Colibri, or the Bluetooth of the Nano, and that the included GPS antenna is external. But I have been using one quite happily as the backup logger in my existing glider, and it looks like the best for my requirements as well as the cheapest solution as the backup logger for my new glider.
Old October 18th 12, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

certainly, or simply use a card reader (about $8.00) and red all fines
direct to a PC
tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

"waremark" wrote in message
Does anybody have a Colibri II logger?

This looks like a splendid device, capable of serving as a backup audio
vario and a backup nav system as well as an approved logger. However, from
reading the manual online it looks as though the only way of downloading an
IGC file is via a micro SD card. Can anyone tell me if IGC files can be
downloaded either to a PDA using something like ConnectMe or to a PC using a
USB cable?

Thanks for any helpful info.

Mark Burton

Another first glider query. Timinnc Soaring 12 January 13th 11 04:06 AM
Query on Geo Pilot GPS Mike Isaksen Piloting 7 August 8th 07 02:38 AM
Query on the Woodstock Stealth Pilot Soaring 3 July 25th 06 08:02 PM
A query news Military Aviation 2 October 18th 03 04:27 PM
Moving map query Martin Gregorie Soaring 7 September 8th 03 05:26 PM