SR-22 Crash, with a twist

Old February 28th 07, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

Default SR-22 Crash, with a twist

"Blanche" wrote:

I was at a nearby airport a couple weeks ago, looking for a possible
hangar/tie-down closer to home. Chatting with the owner of the
newly built hangars, we started (as always) what aircraft we've
flown/owned. He pointed out a brand-new SR22. The owners were washing
it as we spoke. And, the hangar owner/landlord explained the owners
had bought the SR22 and had yet to take a flying lesson, but they
were planning on it real soon. And no, it wasn't going to be put
into rental status.

Scary.

Must be nice to have enough money to afford that level of foolishness.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old February 28th 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Mxsmanic wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder writes:

At least around here they aren't buying airplanes at near the rate
they used to.

How come?

The economy, other interests, any number of things. I haven't polled them.

Old March 1st 07, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 27, 9:01 am, "Doug" wrote:
Glassy water makes the pilot think he is higher than he actually is.
Numerous crashes from this effect.

....true, but given the fact that the water level at Lake Powell is
down 100+ feet from its "normal" level, looking UP at the surrounding
terrain would give most people a clue that they were a tad low, don't
you think?

Old March 1st 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RomeoMike

Except that in many parts of the lake, especially where house boats are
moored, the shoreline still rises gently from the new water level. It's
not all cliffs. Still no excuse for flying into the water, however.

Old March 1st 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C Booth

On 27 Feb 2007 16:50:06 -0800, "
wrote:

Kinda makes ya wonder why they didn't just swim to the houseboat or
the boaters didn't rescue them, instead they swam for an hour to reach
shore. Them Mormans are startin to scare me,. G

I believe it would be "Those Mormons" and I don't see how religious
affiliation has anything to do with this accident. Do you wonder
about Baptist, Catholic, etc pilots that have had accidents? Hell,
why don't we just get a mob together and go tar & feather em like we
used to. That'll show em. duh yup. Geez...
I don't post much but this is just idiotic and insulting.

C Booth, a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
"Them Mormans"
SEL MEL Instrument
Old March 2nd 07, 07:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

C Booth writes:

I believe it would be "Those Mormons" and I don't see how religious
affiliation has anything to do with this accident.

I was thinking the same thing.

If any generalization had to be made, in fact, I'd say that Mormons are
somewhat less prone to do stupid things, since many of them are raised in
conservative families where foolish behavior is discouraged. And of course
good Mormons don't drink, which hugely improves judgement ability.

Certainly, given the number of Mormons I've known, they are the last group
that would come to mind when I read a story about someone being stupid enough
to dip a wing into Lake Powell while flying. Then again, I would not be
inclined to see any connection to religion at all.

Old March 2nd 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 1, 8:30 am, RomeoMike wrote:
Except that in many parts of the lake, especially where house boats are
moored, the shoreline still rises gently from the new water level. It's
not all cliffs. Still no excuse for flying into the water, however.

....well if they did go in around good hope bay, there are some rather
significant cliffs nearby; less than a mile from the southern shore
there's a rise of about 7-800 feet above the water and roughly the
same distance to the west there is a series of ridges that rise over
1,000 feet above the lake. bottom line, no matter what direction he
was looking (other than at the water) he was looking UP at terrain.

also, good hope bay is a fairly long way from bullfrog marina; these
guys are REAL lucky there was a bass tournament on...

Old March 20th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Gig 601XL Builder writes:

Yep, it used to be Doctors and Bonanzas

Have doctors become better pilots, or have they stopped buying Bonanzas?

have you ever flown anything at all?

Fjukkwit?

Bertie