Puchacz Hand-Rudder Adaption - soaring for disabled

Old February 9th 04, 05:03 PM
Ralf S.

Default Puchacz Hand-Rudder Adaption - soaring for disabled

Hi NG,

We wave a guy who recently has been disabled by an accident. He still loves
to fly and now we're looking to adjust one of our two seat gliders for him.

Has anyone some experience how to adjust a glider for that. Does anyone has
some blue prints to give us some ideas what we could do.
We're especially looking for some experiences how to adapt a SZD 50 Puchacz
for hand-rudder control..

Any Ideas where I can find some information?

rgds
Ralf

Old February 9th 04, 05:03 PM
Peter Seddon

Try an e-mail to Portmoak (Scottish Gliding Centre) they've adapted a K21
for such a task.

Peter

Old February 9th 04, 07:43 PM
JC

"Ralf S." wrote:

Hi NG,

We wave a guy who recently has been disabled by an accident. He still loves
to fly and now we're looking to adjust one of our two seat gliders for him.

Has anyone some experience how to adjust a glider for that. Does anyone has
some blue prints to give us some ideas what we could do.
We're especially looking for some experiences how to adapt a SZD 50 Puchacz
for hand-rudder control..

Any Ideas where I can find some information?

rgds

Here are a couple of organizations you can try checking for info.

Freedom's Wings International uses Grobs with hand controls
http://www.freedomswings.org/

International Wheelchair Aviators
http://www.wheelchairaviators.org/info.html#hand
Ralf

Old February 9th 04, 08:31 PM
Buck Wild

"Ralf S." wrote in message ...
Hi NG,

We wave a guy who recently has been disabled by an accident. He still loves
to fly and now we're looking to adjust one of our two seat gliders for him.

Has anyone some experience how to adjust a glider for that. Does anyone has
some blue prints to give us some ideas what we could do.
We're especially looking for some experiences how to adapt a SZD 50 Puchacz
for hand-rudder control..

Any Ideas where I can find some information?

rgds
Ralf

I have the STC for hand controls in the Puch. The set I constructed is
in the possesion of Tom at High Country Soaring in Minden. I think
they might be available, you might make him an offer for them.
It's a very simple system, requiring no modifications to the
aircraft...bolts right on.
-Dan
Old February 10th 04, 10:16 PM
Waduino

Charles Petersen at York Soaring (Toronto) has made arrangements to have a
Peregrine modified by a Florida-based company. Here's a clip from a posting
of his...

Freedom's Wings Canada, which was inspired by Freedom's Wings International
www.freedomswings.org, is a collaborative of York Soaring Association, Youth
Flight Canada (a registered charity operated by members of York), K W
Access-Ability (a Kitchener based charity offering wheelchair sports), and
the Canadian Paraplegic Association of Ontario.

We will purchase a Peregrine, the US manufactured and certificated Krosno
http://www.peregrinesailplane.com/ , fitted with hand controls designed, and
soon to be included in the type certificate, by the manufacturer. These
modifications consist of a 'Rudder Stick', which allows control of the
rudder using the left hand (push forward for left rudder, and pull back for
right rudder) and a modification to the spoiler permitting the pilot to set
and lock various levels of spoiler deployment.

I'm guessing Charles isn't around right now, but he could provide more info.
Try the links, and if that doesn't work, try reposting in a while.

----