1-26 Price

Old April 23rd 20, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default 1-26 Price

On Thursday, April 23, 2020 at 7:03:35 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 3:06:11 PM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:
prices seem to be going through the roof!

Really???? in 2000 I bought my first glider, a 1-26B with an enclosed trailer
for $7000. It was flyable as you say, but tired. Stripped it down to the tubing and did a restoration and instrument upgrade after a few years. Finally sold it after about 15 years for 12,000.

Price on a 1-26 is just like price on any glass ship, if the gel coat is blown up, or blowing up on a glass ship you can get it cheaper (more expensive in the long run).

Sill a great first ship that can teach you many things, and still fun to race in one class competition.

Kevin
92
formerly 192

A couple years ago when I first started trolling W&W adds looking for a potential ship, a decent flyable 1-26 was running in the $4k to $6k range. The ones offered now are twice that. I find it hard to believe that the quality of the current offerings are that much better than formerly, but I could be wrong. I realize you can spend a lot of money on new instruments--over $5k just on a basic set, so maybe this is what I'm seeing here? I also realize that restoring these ships is not cheap, and maybe the price of the current offerings is reflecting this as well.
Old April 23rd 20, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

There's also this little economic phenomenon called inflation.Â* You see
it in materials, wages, etc., and it all ends up in the price of
things.Â* But I'm an engineer, not an economist so I'm probably wrong.

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 23rd 20, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, April 23, 2020 at 12:07:47 PM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:
[...]

There hasn't been a "decent,flyable" 1-26 in the range you are talking about in many years. Any ship in that range is almost certainly an early ship not far from needing fabric and paint.
Best value on Wings and Wheels right now is a 1-34R for 10k. A good value there.
UH
Old April 23rd 20, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Here's a breakdown of 1-26 asking prices over the last 3 years or so and, yes, $10,000 is in the top of the range. Some of these may be duplicates.

$3,000 "projects" 2xA versions; 1xC version
$4,000 4xB
$5,000 1xA; 3xB; 5xC
$6,000 1xA; 3xC
$7,000 1xB; 1xC; 1xE
$8,000 2xA; 2xB; 2xC; 1xD; 2xE
$9,000 1xA; 2xB; 3xC; 3xD; 2xE
$9,999 1xA; 1xB; 1xC; 1xD; 2xE
Old April 24th 20, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Thursday, April 23, 2020 at 10:19:14 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I did my very first self-taught xc flights in a 1-34 out of Hemet. Thought it was a great bird for a beginning xc pilot! Of course the ultimate beginning XC ship is a two place bird so you can fly with someone more experienced.
Old April 24th 20, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

John:
Nostalgia for the "old days" can sometimes color perception. In 1992 when my son turned 15 we purchased an excellent condition Silver Anniversary 1-26E (with a good open trailer) for $6500. Adjusted for inflation, that same amount of dollars today would be $12,115 and I would consider that a fair price for that glider in that condition today.
ROY
Old April 25th 20, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, April 23, 2020 at 6:03:35 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 3:06:11 PM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:
prices seem to be going through the roof!

Really???? in 2000 I bought my first glider, a 1-26B with an enclosed trailer
for $7000. It was flyable as you say, but tired. Stripped it down to the tubing and did a restoration and instrument upgrade after a few years. Finally sold it after about 15 years for 12,000.

Price on a 1-26 is just like price on any glass ship, if the gel coat is blown up, or blowing up on a glass ship you can get it cheaper (more expensive in the long run).

Sill a great first ship that can teach you many things, and still fun to race in one class competition.

Kevin
92
formerly 192

Your buyer got a bargain!
Old April 25th 20, 06:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Behm

We need input from the "soaring economist" on this issue!

ASW 27B PRICE REDUCED Ken Soaring 1 July 18th 17 11:45 PM
The price of av gas GMOD10X Piloting 21 July 16th 08 10:49 AM
Value vs asking price vs selling price Casey Wilson Piloting 4 July 16th 05 04:56 AM
The price of gas C J Campbell Piloting 167 June 4th 04 06:06 PM
Best price Aeroshell 10W-50W? Where to buy from? Paul Millner Owning 1 July 7th 03 04:23 PM