Haze domes

Old June 23rd 05, 06:25 PM
Roger Kelly

Default Haze domes

Any 'haze dome' experts out there? Last weekend we had two blue days and
having read Bob Wander's "The Art of Thermaling .. Made Easy" in which he
states that haze domes can be seen from the ground, I spent a lot of my
time both on the ground and in flight looking for them. No doubt
conditions have to be just right for them to be seen, but I have yet to see
one, or recognize one. Can anyone describe what a haze dome looks like.
From the air ... from the ground? Are they more visable in dry or humid
conditions? Are they a rare phenomenon or relatively frequent? Would they
only be visable if there was a low inversion level?

--
Roger Kelly
to reply replace the IP address above with ceressenior.com

Old June 23rd 05, 09:25 PM
John Galloway

At 20:00 23 June 2005, T O D D P A T T I S T wrote:
Roger Kelly wrote:

Any 'haze dome' experts out there?

I'm not an 'expert' but I've seen them (East coast
and only
a few times). I can't imagine seeing them from the
ground.
From the air they become progressively more visible
as you
approach the inversion, and the farther away, the easier
they are to detect. They bulge up into the defined
inversion. Sighting along the plane of that inversion
is
the easiest way to see them.

T o d d P a t t i s t - 'WH' Ventus C
(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)

Old June 23rd 05, 09:39 PM
John Galloway

Haze domes are very commonly visible in the hazy UK
on high pressure days. They can be seen from the ground
if the inversion is low early in the day. In the air
they are easily seen from within a couple of thousand
feet of the inversion. You need some haze and a thermal
to form a dome and to be looking in the right direction
more or less into sun for them to be clearly visible.

On an XC course about 12 ago Andy Davis told us that
when he was flying on a difficult blue day in the wrong
direction for the haze domes to be visible he spent
a lot of time looking back over his shoulder for the
thermals behind him to line them up or, if necessary,
to turn back to one.

John Galloway

At 17:42 23 June 2005, Roger Kelly wrote:
Any 'haze dome' experts out there? Last weekend we
had two blue days and
having read Bob Wander's 'The Art of Thermaling ..
Made Easy' in which he
states that haze domes can be seen from the ground,
I spent a lot of my
time both on the ground and in flight looking for them.
No doubt
conditions have to be just right for them to be seen,
but I have yet to see
one, or recognize one. Can anyone describe what a
haze dome looks like.
From the air ... from the ground? Are they more visable
in dry or humid

Old June 23rd 05, 10:27 PM
Go

Haze domes: I learned to fly at Elsinore, Calif. and seeing haze domes
is so common here I thought it must be a common occurrance everywhere!
They are readily visible, when ocurring, from the ground or in the air.

I think first of course you require haze which we have a lot of here in
Southern California and locally refer to as smog. Polarized sunglasses
are a great help. With them rotating your head around the line of sight
can help to increase the definition between the haze and the clear air
above, the unpolarized and polarized light.

We generally use this as an indication that lift is generating over the
mountains. One can often observe condensation at the top of the 'domes'
even when the moisture level is so low as to ensure the day will be
'blue'. I am sure someone more meteorologically educated than I can
tell us how this occurs.

Old June 24th 05, 10:49 AM
Stefan

Go wrote:

One can often observe condensation at the top of the 'domes'
even when the moisture level is so low as to ensure the day will be
'blue'. I am sure someone more meteorologically educated than I can
tell us how this occurs.

Peeing pilots?

Stefan
Old June 24th 05, 01:26 PM
HL Falbaum

They are common here in Georgia, USA (Southeastern USA) in the summer. We
too have haze on high pressure summer days, with dewpoints in the 55-65 F
days.

Haze "domes" are best seen when near the inversion level but when you need a
thermal, you are not there! They can be seen at all heights, but are best
described as "haze clumps (or clusters)" and only when "backlighted" by the
sun. They can be seen without sunglasses, and moderate blue blocking helps.
Polarization is OK if your canopy is perfect. Otherwise, the tress areas in
the plastic can be confusing.

It is not unusual to see a haze clump become a small Cu if there is enough
moisture.

--
Hartley Falbaum

"John Galloway" wrote in message
[...]

From the air ... from the ground? Are they more visable
in dry or humid

Old June 24th 05, 02:07 PM
Owain Walters

To echo what John said, they are very common in the
UK. I think the biggest aid to help you see them will
be the type of sunglasses you have.

I use Oakley Eye Jackets with brown lenses and they
are excellent for Haze Caps and cloud definition.

Owain

At 12:42 24 June 2005, Hl Falbaum wrote:
[...]

From the air ... from the ground? Are they more visable
in dry or humid

Old June 24th 05, 02:15 PM
Jim White

All you need is good old British pollution, then you
can see them and use them just like Cu!!!

Jim

At 13:24 24 June 2005, Owain Walters wrote:

[...]

From the air ... from the ground? Are they more visable
in dry or humid

Old June 26th 05, 04:29 PM
F.L. Whiteley

[...]