Oudie or Garmin or both for a airplane & glider pilot?

Old November 21st 10, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Beatle1967

Default Oudie or Garmin or both for a airplane & glider pilot?

Hello all,

I'm a power pilot transitioning to soaring. Before I starting flying
gliders this summer I was on the verge of purchasing a Garmin 500 GPS
for navigation in rental airplanes. Now that I'm starting to gain a
little more experience in soaring, I've noticed that many of the more
experienced pilots have PDA/GPS systems that they use for cross-
country soaring. A good "turn-key" solution for soaring seems to be
the Oudie. If I was going to solely fly gliders I would just buy the
Oudie, I'm wondering whether any power pilots out there use the Oudie
as there backup navigation source, and whether they find it to be
adequate.

Best,

Terence Wilson
Old November 21st 10, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

You might consider the WinPilot bundle and add WinPilot VFR for the
power flying. Would do both types of flying in one system.

Old November 21st 10, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Beatle1967

On Nov 21, 11:09*am, Tim Taylor wrote:
You might consider the WinPilot bundle and add WinPilot VFR for the
power flying. Would do both types of flying in one system.

Thanks, I'll take a look.
Old November 24th 10, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Terence,

When I got into soaring about 8 years ago, I purchased a used pda
system. I was very soon amazed at how unreliable and troublesome it
was. I also observed that while perhaps I had more problems than most,
everyone seems to have problems. When I upgraded gliders, I went with
a clear nav, and that is a wonderful product but does nothing for me
when I go power flying. While the oudie seems like a great product,
and I might have gone with it if it had been avail a few years ago, it
does not run any other software for power flying.

I have just had to find a power plane gps, and after consulting the
Cumulus Soaring website, decided to go with the Bendix "AV8OR" ( not
sold by Paul). It is a solid basic power plane gps, with a terrain
database, and also a very nice car-navigator. But most important it
will run See You mobile. It is also compact in size, but with a nice
size screen, which is very readable in sunlight.

Also, the price a aircraft spruce has been lowered to $599.

The only down side is short internal battery life (one hr or so). It
comes with lots of accessories, (yoke mount, glass mount, cigarette
adaptor, and external antenna). Paul at Cumulus sells an external
lithium battery which would be nice.

Let me know if you find something better.

Cheers, Gary Kent

Old November 24th 10, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cfinn

Bringing up Windows CE on an AV8OR and then running a soaring program
such as See You is a viable solution. I'm pretty sure you can do the
same thing with the Oudie and run a CE program for powered aircraft.

Charlie
Old November 24th 10, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

On Nov 24, 11:39*am, cfinn wrote:
Bringing up Windows CE on an AV8OR and then running a soaring program
such as See You is a viable solution. I'm pretty sure you can do the
same thing with the Oudie and run a CE program for powered aircraft.

Charlie

There was a review in Aviation Consumer, Oct. 08, of the AV8OR vs a
Garmin and the ATC by Contol Vision. The ATC is a modified HP310 that
will take approach plates, XM weather, and a few other nice options. I
assume SYM would run on it also, maybe you just swap sd cards and
reboot.

I might be able to find the article if I had to.

Brian