"Somebody check your mike on the radio, please..."

Old November 22nd 05, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default "Somebody check your mike on the radio, please..."

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:16:15 -0700, Newps wrote
in ::

The Garmin audio panel allows
the two pilots to each talk on a separate radio, on different freq's, at
the same time.

That's not what it says he
http://www.garmin.com/products/gma347/

The GMA 347 audio panel builds upon the successful attributes of
the GMA 340 while adding benefits such as automatic squelch,
digital clearance recorder, and a full-duplex telephone interface.

The GMA 347's automatic squelch option makes the entire audio
experience quieter and clearer. Since there are some occasions
when pilots wouldn’t want an automatic squelch—such as high-noise
environments—the GMA 347 also retains the manual squelch
adjustment feature. Garmin has also added three more unmuted,
unswitched inputs with individual volume control.

The GMA 347’s automatic digital clearance recorder helps pilots
manage the demands of a busy cockpit. The unit continuously
captures the last two and one half minutes of audio switched
through the panel. If a pilot misses a frequency change or
clearance, he or she can replay the necessary information by
simply pressing the “play” button.

In addition, the GMA 347 has a full-duplex telephone interface
with intercom isolation and disable capability. This feature
allows private telephone calls by the pilot or copilot, or
multi-party calls with crew and/or passengers.

Pilots will also appreciate the integration of the G1000’s
“configuration module” into the GMA 347. If the audio panel is
ever removed, all of the pilot’s preferred settings are
automatically loaded into the unit.

Garmin part number: 010-00275-01

Old November 22nd 05, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:16:15 -0700, Newps wrote
in ::

The Garmin audio panel allows
the two pilots to each talk on a separate radio, on different freq's, at
the same time.

That's not what it says he
http://www.garmin.com/products/gma347/

(...)

The so-called "split" function exists on the KMA28, made by PS
Engineering, as well as of course the PS Engineering branded audio
panels with built-in intercoms.

I've a KMA28, and on a few occasions I've been talking to ATC on the
pilot side, while a friend would be calling an FBO on their ARINC
frequency to arrange for a car, or whatever.

For some reason, I can't connect to Garmin's website right now, so I
can't see if the 340/347 have this split function or not.

-jav
Old November 22nd 05, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:39:12 -0500, Javier Henderson
wrote in ::

The so-called "split" function exists on the KMA28, made by PS
Engineering, as well as of course the PS Engineering branded audio
panels with built-in intercoms.

I've a KMA28, and on a few occasions I've been talking to ATC on the
pilot side, while a friend would be calling an FBO on their ARINC
frequency to arrange for a car, or whatever.

I find it interesting that the PS Engineering KMA28 documentation
fails to mention this 'split function':
http://www.ps-engineering.com/pdf/Ma...0%20Manual.PDF
Old November 22nd 05, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Larry Dighera wrote:

That's not what it says he
http://www.garmin.com/products/gma347/

The GMA 347 audio panel builds upon the successful attributes of
the GMA 340

snip

The GMA340 certainly has this feature. I use it all the time in my
Bonanza. If the 347 is built upon the successful attributes of the GMA340,
then Garmin most likely included this feature in that unit as well.

--
Peter
Old November 22nd 05, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Nobody ever said anything about "talking" on different frequencies. There
are a few dozen spurious responses on the best designed receiver that will
take your ears off when the other person transmits on the other transceiver.
It takes one hell of a lot of engineering to keep #1 transmitter from
blowing the socks off of the #2 receiver.

Jim

"Newps" wrote in message

Jose wrote:

And if the stack has an audio panel worthy of the name, the opposite
transceiver's audio is cut off during transmit to prevent an unholy
squeal coming down the audio line of the receiver that is still
operating.

You sure? I've operated split (on different frequencies), and not been
cut off when the other pilot was transmitting. Does the audio panel know
what frequencies each radio is using?

And I have the newest Garmin audio panel. The pilot and copliot can each
talk on different frequencies at the same time.

Old November 22nd 05, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

RST Engineering wrote:

Nobody ever said anything about "talking" on different frequencies. There
are a few dozen spurious responses on the best designed receiver that will
take your ears off when the other person transmits on the other transceiver.
It takes one hell of a lot of engineering to keep #1 transmitter from
blowing the socks off of the #2 receiver.

The Garmin audio panel allows two seperate conversations to take place
at the same time and if you weren't sitting right next to him you
wouldn't know he was talking on the other radio. I will have to tune in
the ATIS on one radio and see if by transmitting on the other if that
mutes the ATIS in my headset.
Old November 22nd 05, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Larry Dighera wrote:

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:16:15 -0700, Newps wrote
in ::

The Garmin audio panel allows the two pilots to each talk on a
separate radio, on different freq's, at the same time.

That's not what it says he

It has it. Look at the picture. The comm 1/2 button is what you push.
When that is lit up the pilot is connected to comm 1 and his PTT
transmits on comm1. The copilot is then connected to comm 2 and
transmits on comm 2, all this regardless of how you had the comms setup
prior to pushing the button. Another feature of the audio panel,
although I'll never use it, is that when you press the spkr button and
then press the PTT switch you don't transmit on the radio at all but
over the planes radio speaker so the rest of the passengers can hear you.
Old November 22nd 05, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in ::

The so-called "split" function exists on the KMA28, made by PS
Engineering, as well as of course the PS Engineering branded audio
panels with built-in intercoms.

I've a KMA28, and on a few occasions I've been talking to ATC on the
pilot side, while a friend would be calling an FBO on their ARINC
frequency to arrange for a car, or whatever.

I find it interesting that the PS Engineering KMA28 documentation
fails to mention this 'split function':
http://www.ps-engineering.com/pdf/Ma...0%20Manual.PDF

I also have the KMA-28, and it's the same as the PMA-7000, and does have the split mode. Here's some
better links:
https://www3.bendixking.com/static/c...ils.jsp?pid=48
http://www.ps-engineering.com/docs/PMA7000PG.pdf

For me, the split mode works as advertised, and is OK, but is subject to cross-talk between the two
comm radios. On my plane, the two antennas are side by side, and only about 2 or 3 feet apart, so I do
get some interference. (Not to mention the two radios being side by side in the stack, so that's another
possible cause.)

Mike
Old November 22nd 05, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in ::

The so-called "split" function exists on the KMA28, made by PS
Engineering, as well as of course the PS Engineering branded audio
panels with built-in intercoms.

I've a KMA28, and on a few occasions I've been talking to ATC on the
pilot side, while a friend would be calling an FBO on their ARINC
frequency to arrange for a car, or whatever.

I find it interesting that the PS Engineering KMA28 documentation
fails to mention this 'split function':
http://www.ps-engineering.com/pdf/Ma...0%20Manual.PDF

I had no idea this topic was of so much interest to you.

Here you go:

"The split mode, pioneered by PS Engineering, is still available, but
now uses an intuitive push button selection. To make operation simpler,
Com 1 priority is provided to the pilot, in split mode, with copilot
selection of Com 2 or 3."

Enjoy.

-jav

RIP Mike Valentine Mal Soaring 0 December 11th 04 08:27 PM
Changes in Instrument Proficiency Check Requirements Richard Kaplan Instrument Flight Rules 71 June 10th 04 08:02 PM
Why not use the F-22 to replace the F/A-18 and F-14? Guy Alcala Military Aviation 265 March 7th 04 09:28 AM
Radio silence, Market Garden and death at Arnhem ArtKramr Military Aviation 4 February 12th 04 12:05 AM
Use of hand-held GPS on FAA check ride Barry Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 9th 03 09:25 PM