Kitplanes 11/08 Headphones for a Buck

Old November 14th 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Paul Dow (Remove CAPS in address)

Default Kitplanes 11/08 Headphones for a Buck

Here's proof the price of electronics is going down. I was transferring
files to a new computer, and I came across a .pdf from the October 1985
kitplanes magazine with the title "The $10 Airplane Headphone, Kodak and
the Shack are back to save Your Ears and Wallet." Written by Jim Weir of
Radio Systems Technology in Grass Valley, CA. (I've met him!) The
modification adds a transformer to the speaker line to match the
impedance of a cheap headphone to that of aircraft systems.
Now 23 years later that same headphone modification in the November,
2008 Kitplanes magazine and costs only one dollar.
Unfortunately, the quality has suffered a bit. The new version just puts
shrink sleeve around the transformer while the 1985 version used a 35mm
film canister to hold it. Those are getting scarce these days.
Old November 14th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tim Hickey

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 19:01:16 -0500, "Paul Dow (Remove CAPS in
address)" wrote:

Here's proof the price of electronics is going down. I was transferring
files to a new computer, and I came across a .pdf from the October 1985
kitplanes magazine with the title "The $10 Airplane Headphone, Kodak and
the Shack are back to save Your Ears and Wallet." Written by Jim Weir of
Radio Systems Technology in Grass Valley, CA. (I've met him!) The
modification adds a transformer to the speaker line to match the
impedance of a cheap headphone to that of aircraft systems.
Now 23 years later that same headphone modification in the November,
2008 Kitplanes magazine and costs only one dollar.
Unfortunately, the quality has suffered a bit. The new version just puts
shrink sleeve around the transformer while the 1985 version used a 35mm
film canister to hold it. Those are getting scarce these days.

When I was in the Army in 1969-71, I spent a lot of time in the photo
lab that was set up for servicemen to use as a hobby. I used to buy 35
mm B&W film in 1000 foot rolls, and the load the film into canisters
for use in the camera. The canisters are disposable, and last week I
discovered that I have close to 100 of them is a bag that has not seen
the light of day since......1971, when I got out of the Army.

Zenith CH-300 Driver.
Old November 15th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Blueskies

address)" wrote:

[...]

Any film in 'em? Didja hear about the old guy who died and his kids found some old WWII film in his stuff? They had it
processed and it had some pretty good footage on it...

Old November 15th 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tim Hickey

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 19:21:39 -0500, "Blueskies"
wrote:

Zenith CH-300 Driver.

Any film in 'em? Didja hear about the old guy who died and his kids found some old WWII film in his stuff? They had it
processed and it had some pretty good footage on it...

No film, but I do have a buddy that found a roll of film that he shot
at his daughters 4th birthday party. She is now 28.
Zenith CH-300 Driver.