Armed forces of an independent Scotland

Old July 9th 04, 09:48 PM
Robert Peffers

"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message
In message , BUFF
writes
"Ian Morrison" wrote in message
news:34e07cb7f29311f1e07f330690f839b0.3570@mygate .mailgate.org...
Are they not a tank regiment now? An ex-neighbour of mine was sent to
Ir*q as part of the recent illegal invasion force and he was in a tank
(his mother reportedly said "can you imagine what it smells like in a
tank full of 18 year old boys?").

probably as mechanised infantry in Warriors APCs - tracked but not a

tank.

It's tracked, it's got a turret, it's a tank to any roving reporter.
(Just because the Army call it an 'infantry fighting vehicle' - what do
a bunch of illiterate squaddies know that a highly-trained reporter
doesn't?)

Just like any rowboat with a GPMG is a "battleship" and a Piper Cub or
Cessna becomes an "advanced attack aircraft" when the meedja get
frothing.

--
He thinks too much: such men are dangerous.
Julius Caesar I:2

Frae Auld Bob Peffers:
Oh! Aye! I've met your type of people all my working life. I worked in
Radio/RADAR/SONAR/RADIC and other military electronic fields from 1952 until
I retired. Now. in certain specialities, I also did work for other branches
of the armed forces and even hospitals and, believe it or not, museums.

However, it was common for certain service personnel to have the same
attitude you show in the above post. You thought you were the experts and
knew better than all those stupid civvies. Well, laddie, here is how it
went. The instructor on the service's courses would go through the course
like this. (They used Fimms Diagrams, you know the kind of thing) , {Is the
switch on or off? If off - do this, If on - do that}. "--- and if that does
not fix it you go to the next step -- -- -- and this goes on till the end of
the Fimms.

We were all in civvies clothes in the class so at this point we civvies
would stick our hands up and ask, "And if that does not work, Sir, What do
we do then"? The answer was always the same, "Oh! Then you call in the
Dockyard". To which all the civvies in the class would cry in chorus, "But,
Sir, we are the Dockyard". Now the main point I make is this is that we were
the experts, not them. Who the hell did they think drew up the Fimms
diagrams?

We had, though, always to then go through the laid down courses to get a
certificate in the particular equipments we were the experts on in order to
work on them after the ships went into full Naval service. That was the
regulation. Some daft P.O, Chiefie or bloody mechanic on the ships who had
called us in because they had reached the end of the Fimms and failed to
diagnose the problem thought they knew better than us.

That is not to say there are not very good POs CPOs and mechs out there for
most were real good 'uns. There were, though, some real duffers and it was
they who always knew better.
--

Aefauldlie, (Scots word for Honestly),
Robert, (Auld Bob), Peffers,

---
Aa ootgannin screivings maun hae nae wee beasties wi thaim..
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old July 10th 04, 10:21 AM
Peter Twydell

In article , Paul J. Adam
writes
[...]

I'm not familiar with the term "advanced attack aircraft". Surely any
brand of mud-mover is a "fighter-bomber" according to the reptiles??

And anything bigger than a C-47/Dakota is a "giant transport plane".
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!