Need Another Cobra Trailer Wheel

Old September 3rd 19, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Need Another Cobra Trailer Wheel

I need a wheel for an older (ca 1992) Cobra trailer: 13 x 4 1/2 wheel with a J flange manufactured 9-91 (the stampings read K13S133 and FAD | 4 1/2 JX13H2 ). Offset measures approx 29 mm. This is the 4 bolt lug pattern on a 100 mm bolt circle. 57mm centerbore.

If you have a wheel, or you know what vehicles' wheels will fit, let me know. I'm having trouble matching those specs with vehicles. Given the trouble I had last time, I'll buy two this time.

I posted a similar message 10 years ago, after I damaged a wheel returning from New Castle. This time it was coming home from the Caesar Creek contest..

For the record, I was running a TPMS. It indicated the pressure had dropped about 5 PSI to 37 PSI. I was looking for a place to pull off to check when it became apparent it was down on the rim already. The TPMS is still reading 37 PSI even now though the sensor was torn off and is lying in the weeds on I-81 somewhere. Bellacorp brand. I've had myriad problems with it. It seemed to work most of the time but both the sensors and the receiving unit flake out occasionally. I'm realizing now that readings are retained until an update is received, whether that's a few seconds or a few years. It did warn me about rising temps when the brakes locked on earlier this season but failed miserably to prevent the precise problem I bought it for.

With all the guys replacing Al-Ko axles with electric brake types, there must be some wheels out there.

Post or PM me at my name below separated by a dot at gmail.

Thanks.

Chip Bearden
Old September 3rd 19, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Monday, September 2, 2019 at 9:45:23 PM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

Chip,

Check BMW 3 series from that time period. That is what I have on my 1998 trailer. 14" BMW 318i 325e 325i 1984-1991.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-318i-Ot...QAAOSw5RldXZQg

You can find steel ones for cheaper but they don't look as good ;-).

Nice rim because I can run a wider radial. Mine has worked well for the last 10 years.
Old September 3rd 19, 01:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Might want to grab some of these too http://bulletprooftire.com/

:-) :-) :-)

T8
Old September 3rd 19, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Tim,

Those are 14" wheels and 1 inch wider than my 13" rims. I have room for the added width. And I suspect I can match the tire height/circumference with a choice of size/profile (which would allow me to retain my two functional rims as emergency spares). But I'm wondering about added load on the wheel bearings if the offset is wildly different from stock. Did you do any checking on that and arrive at the BMW rims on that basis? Or did they fit the bolt circle and centerbore and just look good?

Chip
Old September 3rd 19, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 8:12:42 AM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
Might want to grab some of these too http://bulletprooftire.com/

:-) :-) :-)

T8

So as I look back on over 50 years of soaring, this is to be my legacy? Some jerk in Texas with a 9 mm pistol and a disregard for personal property?

This product actually looks interesting in light of losing two rims in the past 10 years. And could be cheaper than another TPMS. Like bodyguards, I couldn't care less about a little more unsprung weight so long as the suspension doesn't get beaten up.

JB
Old September 3rd 19, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Chip,

They were on the trailer when I bought the plane. I have made many trips across the country without any issues. I believe the dish of the wheels is deeper so it does not add significant extra load on the bearing. I run a lower profile radial so the tire is roughly the same diameter as the original. The lower profile means there is less stress on the sidewalls and I can run a standard passenger tire. I replace the tires about every six to seven years as preventative maintenance to avoid blowouts on the road. I like the wider tread and stability the rims give.

Tim
Old September 4th 19, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Chip, I had one blow on my 27 trailer last year going from TSA to Uvalde. I stoped at discount tire and they were able to find a rim that worked. It took a couple of days to get it and was around 80-100 bucks. It didnt match the other one but works fine.

CH
Old September 4th 19, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 6:09:40 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Chip, I had one blow on my 27 trailer last year going from TSA to Uvalde. I stoped at discount tire and they were able to find a rim that worked. It took a couple of days to get it and was around 80-100 bucks. It didnt match the other one but works fine.

CH

Chip,

This site will cross-reference your bolt pattern to vehicles. After that, it's a matter of matching up diameter, width and offset. https://www.roadkillcustoms.com/whee...ference/#tab-2

I feel your pain. I have an orphan axle that only accepts 14" wheels from a vintage Oldsmoble. This is due to odd bump outs in the cast brake drums that require corresponding pockets in the steel rims. I've made sure to have several spares, but after the last major blow-out, I'm down to one.

Good luck,
Craig Funston
Old September 4th 19, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

Possibly an even better resource https://www.performanceplustire.com/wheels-by-size/
Old September 4th 19, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Good sources, thx. Another one that's useful: http://adaptitusa.com/referencebook.htm

If you copy/paste into Excel, you can filter on the bolt pattern and centerbore and end up with a list of vehicles. From that, you can painfully gather the wheel size and offset data and end up with a list of possible vehicles. Or just go to a wheel/tire shop and get them to do it. Making progress.

Chip Bearden