Altimeter settings: QNH versus QFE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 31st 05, 04:38 PM

Default Altimeter settings: QNH versus QFE

I have a question for you CFIG's out the I recently moved to a
"flat" state from a "mountainous" state and noticed that every glider
pilot I have met and flown with in the "flat" state sets his altimeter
to zero (a QFE setting) instead of field elevation. Back in my old
stomping grounds, all my glider friends set field elevation (QNH).

I find this a bit disturbing - even dangerous. It's tough to
deconflict altitude on the radio when you don't know what the other
glider has set his altimeter to!

altimeter to zero is so common, invariably the response is "that's the
way I was taught" (from both old and new pilots) or that "it's easier
for the student to learn that way" from instructors. Does this mean
that flatland student pilots are mathematically challenged, while those
in mountainous areas are not?

I also hear "it's easier to tell how high up I am when landing". Huh?
What happened to no-altimeter/TLAR patterns? Or are people being
taught rigid altitudes in the pattern?

So - what gives? Is this technique commonly taught? Do instructors
really believe it helps their student? Is it even legal (how do you
get a current altimeter setting during a long flight)?

No prize for figuring out my opinion about this practice...

And please, no tangential discussion about using QFE for IMC approaches
- unless you have two altimeters in your glider...

Kirk
66