2007 US Contest Rules

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 27th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug

Default 2007 US Contest Rules

The hearing loss is also attributed to tanks and helicopters. Years ago I
began having almost painful hearing at certain frequencies so I went and had
my hearing checked. The doctor looked at my hearing graph and immediately
guessed that I was either in tanks or helicopters. He was right, as I was a
SAR swimmer for 3 years in the navy, and although I wore sound attenuators,
when possible, the damage was still done. He said it was very easy syndrome
to detect.

So always wear headsets.

Doug

"Ian Strachan" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 25, 12:33 pm, wrote:
On Mar 25, 6:16 am, "Ian Strachan" wrote:

...there is no problem with the cockpit
noise signatures of MGs powered by internal combustion engines
whether they be four-stroke, two-stroke or Wankel (rotary).

That is, other than hearing-loss ;-)

True. Myself, I (almost) always wear a headset when running a Motor
Glider engine in the air.

In the UK Air Force there was a syndrome called "Shackleton Ear" which
was permanent deafness on certain frequencies. The Shack had four
Griffon piston engines (a sort of "double Merlin") and flew maritime
patrol sorties many hours long. People who got "the ear" were
generally those who took off their headsets for long periods of time.

Ian Strachan
Lasham Gliding Centre, UK

BGA Comp rules 2007 Dan G Soaring 3 February 14th 07 10:52 PM
2007 USA contest rules review....# 711 reporting [email protected] Soaring 5 December 26th 06 10:38 PM
SSA 2005 Contest Rules Posted Ken Kochanski (KK) Soaring 2 March 26th 05 06:12 PM
Contest rules for 04 Duane Eisenbeiss Soaring 5 February 3rd 04 02:11 PM
US Contest Rules Committee Election Ken Sorenson Soaring 4 August 9th 03 07:06 PM