Marfa in the Movies

Old February 18th 08, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

Default Marfa in the Movies

Link to article about Marfa in the movies on our local television web
site:

http://wral.com/entertainment/story/2448050/

Ok, nothing about soaring in the article, but it is still about Marfa.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
Old February 18th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Yep, we gave glider rides to several of the movie crew of "No Country
for Old Men", as well as "There Will Be Blood". Chip Love, who played
the "man in Ford" in "No Country" is our local bank president and a
pilot. He gets up from his desk to give my dog "Cozy" treats for her
tricks when we walk into his bank. Yes, you are allowed to bring your
dog (but not your Harley) into the Marfa bank lobby.

We also flew many of the folks who visited during the 50th anniversary
celebration of the movie "Giant" filmed here in 1955. For movie
buffs, it was James Dean's last movie, Dennis Hopper's first major
movie, and also starred Eleizabeth Taylor and Rock Hudson.

Marfa has recently found favor as a location for many TV commercials
and music videos.
Apparently the fees and permitting are simple here and we leave the
working film folks alone. Along with our year-round good weather,
bright west Texas skies, renovated main street, and perhaps because
Marfa has evolved into an artists' and writers' community, we are
attracting the attention of location scouts.

The movie for soaring enthusiasts shot at Marfa would be the "Sun Ship
Game", the film of the 1969 US Nationals shot in cinema verite' style
featuring George Moffat, Gleb Derujinsky and Wally Scott.

The dedication of Marfa, Texas, as a National Landmark of Soaring by
the National Soaring Museum will be April 4 & 5, 2008. George Moffat
will speak at our banquet, and some of the pilots from the 1960's
contests will attend, including Ben Greene, "Big John" Brittingham,
Dick Johnson, John Byrd, Bill Holbrook, Ed Byars, Bill Snead, and many
more. Details on this event at our website www.flygliders.com Click
on the "Landmark" button.

Burt
Marfa, TX USA

Old February 18th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jesper Thomsen

"Burt Compton - Marfa" wrote in message

The movie for soaring enthusiasts shot at Marfa would be the "Sun Ship
Game", the film of the 1969 US Nationals shot in cinema verite' style
featuring George Moffat, Gleb Derujinsky and Wally Scott.

Burt
Marfa, TX USA

Any idea where one would go about getting a copy of that film?

/J

Old February 18th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Verhulst

The movie for soaring enthusiasts shot at Marfa would be the "Sun Ship
Game", ....

Any idea where one would go about getting a copy of that film?

That will be a problem. You'll need to find some one with the VHS tape
and copy it.

I understand that the problem Direct Cinema has with releasing the video
is that there are copyright problems with the Bee Gee's music on the
film. I recently had a discussion with a professional film producer with
connections to Direct Cinema. He's trying (with little success) to
encourage them to replace the "offending" music and to re-release the
video on DVD. Newer technology should enable them to clean up the poor
video quality on the original VHS production.

Start writing those letters

Direct Cinema Ltd., Inc.
P.O. Box 10003
Santa Monica, CA 90410-1003

Tony V.
Old February 18th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Verhulst

Found the email to Direct Cinema that I sent in early 2005 - and their
(cryptic) response.

Tony
Dear Direct Cinema,

Several internet sources list you as the distributor of The Sunship Game
but I do not see it in your catalog. Do you, indeed, have this movie for
sale?

regrets it is no longer available.
it has been pulled.
direct cinema
Old February 19th 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jesper Thomsen

"Tony Verhulst" wrote in message
. ..
Found the email to Direct Cinema that I sent in early 2005 - and their
(cryptic) response.

Tony
Dear Direct Cinema,

Several internet sources list you as the distributor of The Sunship Game
but I do not see it in your catalog. Do you, indeed, have this movie for
sale?

regrets it is no longer available.
it has been pulled.
direct cinema

Bugger - thanks anyway

/J

At The Movies, concluded - Top Gun.jpg Brian O'Neill Aviation Photos 1 November 30th 06 04:29 PM
Aviation Movies - your top 5? news.ozemail.com.au Piloting 81 May 10th 06 07:03 AM
Flying movies Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC General Aviation 1 August 7th 05 01:08 AM
Aviation Movies? Dave Burton Piloting 56 June 20th 05 03:19 AM
B-52s in the movies Matt Wiser Military Aviation 20 July 21st 04 04:33 AM