Badge flight start/finish question

Old September 30th 14, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

Default Badge flight start/finish question

I am hoping for a shot or 2 next month to attempt a 1000k badge flight.

I realize that the turnpoint or turnpoints need to be
an FAI 90 degree sector.

What about start and finish, I plan to use the gliderport for my
start and finish, does this also require the 90 degree sector or
is a line required?

If a line is required what is the max width of the line?

Thanks for any info, Joe
Old September 30th 14, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

Hi Joe -

I prefer the line option. I believe it is 1000m max or 0.61 miles.

Be careful when you put this into something like an Oudie. You enter 0.31 miles. That translates into 0.31 miles on each side of the line or 0.62 miles total.

I hope this helps -

Lou

Old September 30th 14, 06:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, September 29, 2014 7:29:30 PM UTC-7, MNLou wrote:
Hi Joe -

I prefer the line option. I believe it is 1000m max or 0.61 miles.

90 degr. out-bound and 90 degree in-bound?
Or any old line across the A/P?
Heinz
Old September 30th 14, 12:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Monday, September 29, 2014 9:26:51 PM UTC-4, joesimmers wrote:
I am hoping for a shot or 2 next month to attempt a 1000k badge flight.

I realize that the turnpoint or turnpoints need to be

an FAI 90 degree sector.

What about start and finish, I plan to use the gliderport for my

start and finish, does this also require the 90 degree sector or

is a line required?

If a line is required what is the max width of the line?

Thanks for any info, Joe

Info is on the SSA website here http://www.ssa.org/BadgesAndRecords and your specific questions are answered in detail in the badge and record procedure guide here http://www.ssa.org/files/member/B&RGuide_2_2012.pdf

Understanding the rules = fewer disappointments.

best,
Evan Ludeman / T8

Old September 30th 14, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

Thanks for the link Evan I found it.

So for start and finish you have the option to use
90 degree sector, or a start line, the start or finish
line is 1 Kilometer wide.
Old September 30th 14, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 9:12:48 AM UTC-4, joesimmers wrote:
Thanks for the link Evan I found it.

So for start and finish you have the option to use

90 degree sector, or a start line, the start or finish

line is 1 Kilometer wide.

Quick Editorial: We've seen so many angry/frustrated pilots over the years missing out on significant badges and records for simple errors. While we all understand that the Sporting Code isn't a light read, for the most part it's reasonably clear. It takes probably an hour to go through it and the key appendices with some level of rigor. It's an hour well spent if you are planning to spend 10 hours in the cockpit for a 1000K.

As far as the specifics, the following paragraph has most of the required info.

START TIME and ALTITUDE 1.3.1.
The time and altitude (msl) at which the SOARING PERFORMANCE begins, both determined by the type of SOARING PERFORMANCE and the type of START POINT claimed:

b. When a declared START POINT is claimed for a distance performance, START TIME and ALTITUDE may be taken at:
(i) the exit from the START OZ SECTOR,
(ii) the crossing of a START LINE, or
(iii) the most favourable FIX recorded within the START OZ SECTOR.

c. The SECTOR OZ radius for GOAL or CLOSED COURSE distance performances is 1000m.
d. For speed performances, a declared START / FINISH POINT is required; START TIME and ALTITUDE must be taken at an exit from the START OZ SECTOR with a 1000 metre radius or on crossing a START LINE.

So, you are either using a Start Line (1000M wide, centered on the declared Start Point) or a Start Sector, centered on the Start Point, 1000M in radius.

P3
Formerly chairman of the SSA B&R Committee and long-suffering State Record Keeper.

Old September 30th 14, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 9:12:48 AM UTC-4, joesimmers wrote:
Thanks for the link Evan I found it.

So for start and finish you have the option to use

90 degree sector, or a start line, the start or finish

line is 1 Kilometer wide.

Just a reminder that the new Sporting Code is effective as of October 1, 2014. Section 3 (Gliding, Edition 2014) and Annex C (Official Observer and Pilot Guide, valid from 1 October 2014) are both at http://www.fai.org/igc-documents . Changes are indicated with vertical lines on the right side of the text.

Old October 1st 14, 08:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 06:58:14 -0700 (PDT), Papa3
wrote:

[...]

Since a 1000km diploma is a distance flight not a goal flight you can
also use your point of release or stopping of engine as the start
point and your landing point, starting of the motor or a GPS point
chosen post flight as the finish point.

Basil
Old October 2nd 14, 07:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alexander Georgas[_2_]

If you use a line, make sure it is the right length (i.e. do not confuse
diameter with radius).

The thing with the regulations is that you need not declare which one of
the observation zone types you use, just the location. As long as you
actually use a valid one, the performance will count. But to do this,
you will probably have to set your PDA to the OZ of your preference.

There are a number of other gotchas in the regulation, however,
especially regarding the declaration (glider identification and so
forth), official observer etc so I suggest you spend some time with the
regs to avoid grief after you have made a significant effort in flying
the 1000k.

Alexander