Flying outside the USA

Old March 16th 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon[_2_]

Default Flying outside the USA

I'm still working on my private but if my company sends me overseas
can I keep flying with my license? Real good chance I might be in the
Phillipines for a while.
Jon

Old March 16th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Jon" wrote)
I'm still working on my private but if my company sends me overseas can I
keep flying with my license? Real good chance I might be in the
Phillipines for a while.

"PING" CJ Campbell of this group.

He is a (World Famous Flight Instructor) and just returned from an extended
stay in the Philippines, doing missionary work.

If your company sends you overseas, write it into your contract that they
will pay for x hrs of flight rental time per week. Otherwise they may nix
your plans to fly, altogether. Just a thought.

Montblack

Old March 16th 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-03-16 07:56:10 -0700, "Jon" said:

I'm still working on my private but if my company sends me overseas
can I keep flying with my license? Real good chance I might be in the
Phillipines for a while.
Jon

Magandang hapon.

I did not fly while in the Philippines but you can be sure that I
checked it out. :-) The main problem was that up in Laoag City where I
was there were no rental planes available.

There are rental planes available in Manila and at the old Clark AB in
Angeles. I don't know about Cebu or Davao, but they would be good bets,
too. The rental fleet is old, mostly 172L and M models. Cost is about
the same as in the US. I do know that my old 206 is in Davao, being
flown by an agricultural firm, and that some airplane owners in the
Philippines will rent to individuals.

Where there are rental airplanes there are instructors and flight
schools. The Air Transportation Office in Manila will issue you a
Philippine license on the basis of your American one with the same
restrictions and privileges. Satellite offices will not do; you have to
go to the one in Manila, in person, by appointment. They are unlikely
to ask for a bribe, but they might ask for 'handling fees' so that it
doesn't take six months to a year to process the paperwork.

The outfit at Clark has the best reputation for safety and that is
where the Philippines is planning to center its efforts for training
new airline and military pilots. There is a critical shortage there and
new pilots are strongly discouraged from leaving the country. Of
course, they might not have that critical shortage if they were willing
to pay more, but who am I to tell someone how to run his business?

The Philippines is mountainous, hot and humid, very rugged with large
areas of jungle. Storms are frequent; the Philippines gets more than a
dozen typhoons a year, with three or four of them being category 3
(Katrina) or higher. However, weather reporting systems are good except
in remote areas. Airfields marked on the map might not actually be in
use and could be completely overgrown or occupied by squatters, so it
is best to check things out first.

The country is about the size of Arizona, but broken up into many
islands, so being able to fly could be a real asset to your company.
Almost all the major islands have airfields.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old March 17th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Borat

On 2007-03-16 07:56:10 -0700, "Jon" said:

[...]

but unlike Arizona, it has a population of c 85 million about 30% of the US.

Old March 17th 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-03-16 07:56:10 -0700, "Jon" said:

[...]

Arizona is catching up, though. Pretty soon we are going to have to
just rename the state to "Downtown Phoenix," with Vegas, LA and Santa
Fe as "Suburban Phoenix."
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old March 17th 07, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

On 2007-03-16 07:56:10 -0700, "Jon" said:

[...]

No, you'll run out of water before you get that big.

Matt
Old March 17th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-03-16 07:56:10 -0700, "Jon" said:

[...]

They will insist on draining the Great Lakes first.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old March 17th 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

C J Campbell wrote:
Matt Whiting said:
C J Campbell wrote:
Arizona is catching up, though. Pretty soon we are going to have to
just rename the state to "Downtown Phoenix," with Vegas, LA and
Santa Fe as "Suburban Phoenix."

No, you'll run out of water before you get that big.

They will insist on draining the Great Lakes first.

That's actually been proposed. Along with diverting water from the Yukon
via the Rocky Mountain trench. Search for NAWAPA or read this:

http://comiterepubliquecanada.ca/English/Nawapa.htm

For another view of the underlying water issues and historical context, I
recommend reading the book "Cadillac Desert" by Marc Reisner. Very well
researched.

soapbox
The biggest issue I have with these grandiose plans is that they constitute
a form of water welfare or subsidy for people who insist on living and
developing in areas of limited water resources and then demand others pay
the price (in money, land access rights, and water rights) for their
choices.
/soapbox