JATO - B-47 Jato 02.jpg (1/1)

Old February 3rd 09, 01:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman Mitchell Holman is offline
Banned

Default JATO - B-47 Jato 02.jpg (1/1)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg B-47 Jato 02.jpg (170.6 KB, 79 views)
Old February 4th 09, 05:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Lynn

WOW! Those shots with the "horsecollar" (external) JATO and
water/alcohol injection
were obviously taken with a lightweight fuel load, no?
I was awestruck during "bomber stream" launchs, after dusk at Davis
Monthan AFB. The
max gross weight of a fully loaded "E" model was many thousand pounds over
design max gross
take-off weight. After the first one or two had left a heavy black
smokescreen on the runway,
one could watch the next one thunder along, and see the wing tip navigation
lights rise well
up above the runway, while the tail position light maintained it's altitude
all the way down the
runway. (B-47 wings flew higher than the fuselage when at or near max gross
weight)
I think complete emptying (and lightening) of the water/alcohol tanks
(de-ionized water in warm weather)
kept them from flying down mainstreet of Nogales, Mexico.
I was told, and I think it must have be true, that that aircraft, so
configured, would not
lift off in the runway length available, during a hot day, at Davis Monthan
AFB. The reason that practice
"bomber streams" were exercised AFTER the heat of the day.
Thanks for the pics, those were the days, no?

Old Chief Lynn

Old February 7th 09, 07:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Richard Brooks[_2_]

Great pictures!

What I have not seen are the JATO take-offs with a much sharper angle
of attack as I'd witnessed at the then USAF Brize Norton, when I was a
youngster.

As soon as we kids saw that silver shark's fin passing Easterly
between the trees parallel to Milestone Road in Carterton (accompanied
by the tell-tale goddamn awful screeching noise) we all ran down to
the Westerly end of the runway and clung on to the chain link fencing,
too scared to go further West where the fencing kinked in and much
closer to the runway, just in case!

The angles of attack seemed much closer to the Vulcan's, one which
indicentally passed through USAF Brize Norton one day, promptly nosed
up and vanished into the cloud bank without fuss. Whether with the
B47 that was a noise abatement thing I don't know (they never did it
after about 6pm until morning but practiced 'circuits and bumps'
solidly through the night) but we did joke that at the usual shallower
angle of take-off, it was possible to poke the aircraft with a stick
even by the time it had passed over Upper Heyford.

Richard.