Viable alternatives for serious aviation discussion

Old August 22nd 08, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Viable alternatives for serious aviation discussion

Mxsmanic wrote:
Jim Logajan writes:

To be clear: I agree there are moderated discussion forums where the
moderators have lists of unofficial favored and disfavored members. I just
don't think there are "tremondous" numbers of such groups. I don't think
people who have made themselves "regulars" exist on some unofficial list
kept by the moderators and that somehow makes them "regulars".

Every moderated forum I can recall has had a ban list.

The moderators are more like
cops in the donut shop who only lumber into action if forced to.

You probably haven't seen very many moderators. Most are overbearing control
freaks when they encounter anyone with whom they disagree. Most people are
not suited to this type of job.

Nonsense Anthony. You are generalizing again. There is no doubt that any
moderated group can and probably does have a ban list, and it's also
true that you can find a bad moderator on any mod forum, but this by no
means would indicate a majority in any way whatsoever.
In fact, I belong to several moderated forums now and have in the past
as well. In my total experience on the net, I've run into one bad
situation and simply left that forum.
As is the case in most human interaction, most people (moderators in
this case) try to exhibit honesty, sincerity, and a natural desire to do
a good job. If any generalization exists, this would usually prevail as
the majority standard.

If you don't mind my saying so Anthony, you do seem to have a very
negative view of people in general.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old August 22nd 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Dudley Henriques writes:

Nonsense Anthony. You are generalizing again. There is no doubt that any
moderated group can and probably does have a ban list, and it's also
true that you can find a bad moderator on any mod forum, but this by no
means would indicate a majority in any way whatsoever.

I mean exactly what I say. The majority of moderators are not competent for
the job.

As is the case in most human interaction, most people (moderators in
this case) try to exhibit honesty, sincerity, and a natural desire to do
a good job. If any generalization exists, this would usually prevail as
the majority standard.

And like most human beings, they throw all that to the wind when someone
disagrees with them and refuses to change his mind. It's human nature, and
difficult to compensate for even with the will to do so (which is rare).

If you don't mind my saying so Anthony, you do seem to have a very
negative view of people in general.

Not at all, but there are a lot of stupid and (consequently) intolerant people
in the world. Almost everyone has a double standard; few people follow the
Golden Rule.
Old August 22nd 08, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote:
Dudley Henriques writes:

Nonsense Anthony. You are generalizing again. There is no doubt that any
moderated group can and probably does have a ban list, and it's also
true that you can find a bad moderator on any mod forum, but this by no
means would indicate a majority in any way whatsoever.

I mean exactly what I say. The majority of moderators are not competent for
the job.

I have no doubt you mean exactly what you say, but that doesn't
necessarily equate to what you are saying being correct.
As always, you and I will never agree so I will disengage on this issue
after this post and allow you your opinion. :-)

As is the case in most human interaction, most people (moderators in
this case) try to exhibit honesty, sincerity, and a natural desire to do
a good job. If any generalization exists, this would usually prevail as
the majority standard.

And like most human beings, they throw all that to the wind when someone
disagrees with them and refuses to change his mind. It's human nature, and
difficult to compensate for even with the will to do so (which is rare).

Well then, I'll set the positive example for you right here as I'm sure
you realize that you and I are in complete disagreement and unless I'm
mistaken I'm not fitting your profile at all.

If you don't mind my saying so Anthony, you do seem to have a very
negative view of people in general.

Not at all, but there are a lot of stupid and (consequently) intolerant people
in the world. Almost everyone has a double standard; few people follow the
Golden Rule.

There are certainly a lot of stupid and intolerant people in the world.
God knows I've had to deal with a few of them on this very forum, but in
my experience, these are FAR from representing the norm.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old August 22nd 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:

I would imagine Dr. Cahill is basing his statements on training, observation,
and study while Mr. mxsmanic is just pulling stuff out of his ass to
justify his pathetic existence.

You're certainly entitled to imagine.

Since you just HAD to have the last word:

Doctor Larry Cahill:

Associate Professor, Neurobiology and Behavior
School of Biological Sciences

PH.D., University of California, Irvine, 1990

Outstanding Professor in the School of Biological Sciences, 2005-6, 2007-8

Selected Publications:

Alkire, M., Gruver, R., Miller, J., McReynolds, J., Hahn, E. and Cahill., L.
(2008) Neuroimaging analysis of an anesthetic gas that blocks human
emotional memory. PNAS USA, 105: 1722-1727.

Andreano, J.M. and Cahill, L. Glucocorticoid Release and Memory
Consolidation in Men and Women. Psychological Science 17:466-70 (2006).

Cahill, L. Why Sex Matters for Neuroscience. Nature Neuroscience Reviews.
7: 477-484. (2006).

Kilpatrick, L. Zald, D.H., Pardo, J.V. and Cahill, L. Sex-related
Differences in Amygdala Functional Connectivity during Resting Conditions.
Neuroimage. 30: 452-461. (2006).

Cahill, L. His Brain, Her Brain Scientific American. May 2005

Parker, E.S., Cahill, L., and McGaugh, J.L. A case of unusual
autobiographical remembering. Neurocase. 12: 35-49. (2006)

Cahill, L., Uncapher, M. Kilpatrick, L., Alkire, M. and Turner, J.
Sex-Related Hemispheric Lateralization of Amygdala Function in
Emotionally-Influenced Memory: An fMRI Investigation. Learning and
Memory. (2004) 11: 261-266.

Cahill, L., Gorski, L., Belcher, A. and Huynh, Q. A study of the
influence of sex versus sex-related traits on long-term recall of
gist and detail from an emotional story. Consciousness and Cognition.
(2004) 13: 391-400.

Kilpatrick, L and Cahill, L. Amygdala modulation of parahippocampal
and frontal regions during emotionally influenced memory storage.
Neuroimage. (2003) 20: 2091-2099.

Cahill, L., Sex- and hemisphere-related influences on the neurobiology
of emotionally influenced memory. Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology
and Biological Psychiatry. (2003) 27: 1235-1241.

Cahill, L. and Alkire, M. Epinephrine enhancement of human memory
consolidation: Interaction with arousal at encoding. Neurobiology of
Learning and Memory. (2003) 79: 194-198.

Cahill, L. and van Stegeren, A. Sex-related impairment of memory for
emotional events with ?-adrenergic blockade. Neurobiology of Learning
and Memory. (2003) 79:81-88.

Cahill, L. and McGaugh, J.L. Mechanisms of emotional arousal and lasting
declarative memory. Trends in Neurosciences (1998) 21:294-299.

Cahill, L., Weinberger, N., Roozendaal, B., and McGaugh, J.L. Is the
amygdala a locus of "conditioned fear?" Some questions and caveats.
Neuron. (1999) 23:227-228.

Research Center Center for Neurobiology of Learning and Memory

Mxsmanic:

No job.

Major publications:

Begging list on Amazon, of which many items are less than $10.

Research Center Hovel apartment in Paris.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old August 22nd 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:

[...]

Yes, but can he COOK?

--
Dudley Henriques
Old August 22nd 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Fillard Millmore

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
news
yod-yog+ais writes:

Per Dr. Larry Cahill of the University of California at Irvine, "We have
been assuming that the ways in which emotions are organized in the
brain are essentially similar in men and women," but they aren't. Parts
of the limbic cortex, which is involved in emotional responses, are
smaller in men than in women.

Women use the left part of the amygdala - the part of the brain that
creates emotional reactions to events - to put memories in order by
emotional strength, meaning that something emotionally important to them
(like a great first date a couple of months ago) will be ordered in
front of what they ate for breakfast yesterday. Men, however, use the
right part of the amygdala to put memories in order. Traditionally, the
right hemisphere of the brain is associated with the central action of
an event, while the left hemisphere is associated with finer details.

Dr. Cahill is freely speculating.

Prove it dumb ass.

Old August 22nd 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Fillard Millmore

"Tim" wrote in message
"Fillard Millmore" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote

That's because you are stroking him, and stimulating his derogatory
input,
in an attempt dilute group to POA.

NOW THAT'S FUNNY!!! How can you possibly dilute this group beyond where
it
currently is?

People are not leaving because of Mx, they are leaving because of the
immature, childish, and endless back-and-forth that takes place between
him
and a dozen or so nitwits here.

If Mx left the same nitwits would find a new "cause".

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

Old August 22nd 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Fillard Millmore

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

Actually, if you and the other nitwits posting all this nonsense about my
pushing POA bothered to actually check POA, you will find that there are
exactly 5 postings for me on POA.

Apparently why you have returned, and certianly not consistant with all the
"POA is greater than sliced bread" babble, you kept spamming us with just
days after you had supposedly left. Probably supports you desire to dilute
this group as well. I guess you didn't have the land slide of followers you
expected, no surprise.

Google reveals as of today 68,200 postings for me....all on Usenet, most
on THIS forum.
Where's your logic?

Ninety percent of which is probably either redundant rambling, off topic
cutsie ****, or some of you ragchew nonsense that would be much better
suited for a CB radio conversation.