Pocket PC on the flight deck

Old December 30th 03, 03:06 AM
Michelle P

Default Pocket PC on the flight deck

Hi all,
I just read my latest Aviation Consumer and AOPA Pilot. I have been in
search of a backup option for my attitude indicator. I have inquired and
looked at the electric AIs. The responses were luke warm to the quality
of the AIs. If I am spending $2000 for an instrument I expect it to work
period.
The Articles could not have come at a better time. I love the idea of
spending a little more and getting a multi function system.
The mini/Micro efis's on the pocket pc seems like a great idea! I can
run moving map software and the EFIS at the same time as well as do some
pre-flight planning and get weather too!

The legal aspects are few. In an emergency the rule book is out the
window. so It can be use d to get you down if necessary.

Michelle
--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old December 30th 03, 05:53 AM
Jay Honeck

The legal aspects are few. In an emergency the rule book is out the
window. so It can be use d to get you down if necessary.

These devices sound terrific.

Can anyone post a "real-world" PIREP?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 31st 03, 03:17 AM
SeeAndAvoid

I did alot of research recently into this and since I already have the
Anywhere Map system I leaned towards their offerings. Their AI from all
accounts looks really good. Only reason I didnt get it is the wiring: I
currently am wireless between the GPS and the PocketPC (Bluetooth), this
doesnt work with their AI or WX system, but it probably is something they
are working on. But figuring wireless is not an issue and you dont care
about the wires, which arent that bad, you could have the AI under your
seat, a wire going out of it into your PocketPC, the other going to the GPS,
the battery in the AI would back-up both the PPC and the GPS in case of
total electrical failure - it all sounds good. The AI and GPS software work
seamlessly together.
As far as the WX they offer, its through a satphone, and it also is not
bluetooth, yet. I'm not totally sold on it, and for the price I'm not sure
of its worth unless you dabble alot in IFR conditions, which I avoid as I'm
mostly always single pilot. Anyway, check out www.controlvision.com , I'm
pretty happy with them as a company so far, always improving software,
always there to answer questions, and the stuff I have works pretty darn
good.
Chris

Old December 31st 03, 05:50 AM
Michelle P

Jay,
My problem is that I have no clue about a pocket PC. They look useful
but I am clueless about the internal and the workings. I have made a
couple of trips to the Store and done some searching on the net even hit
the manufactures websites. I have little information other than I can
connect a GPS to is and the EFIS offerings. I was thinking Bluetooth
between the GPS and the Pocket PC but as another netter has mentioned
this is not currently working?
I would like a GPS that I can use for both the Pocket PC and my PowerBook G4
Michelle

Old December 31st 03, 05:50 AM
Michelle P

Chris,
Which make and model are you using? It looks like the higher end
Compaq's are the way to go.
Michelle

Old December 31st 03, 06:22 AM
Ron Lee

Michelle, Other sites to look at for Palm and Pocket PC programs
(different like Mac and PC) are as follows:

http://www.palmflying.com/palmefmm.html

and

http://www.palmaviation.com/software.../palm_soft.htm

This site has Palm and PocketPC nav programs listed.

I believe that as long as the GPS unit can output NMEA 0183 data that
will work. Some PDAs accept a GPS module but that form factor may or
may not work with a computer. Plus you need reasonable visibility to
GPS satellites so a PDA mounted on a yoke with integral GPS module may
not perform ideally.

Ron Lee
Old December 31st 03, 02:16 PM
EDR

Those little palm-things are fine for smooth air.
Just wait until you really need it and are bouncing up and down and
sideways trying to hit a little box on the screen with the stylus.
Old December 31st 03, 04:35 PM
FUji

"EDR" wrote in message

Those little palm-things are fine for smooth air.
Just wait until you really need it and are bouncing up and down and
sideways trying to hit a little box on the screen with the stylus.

....and Microsoft (PPC OS) software has no place on an airplane. Especially
with something as critical as an AI, even if it is used only as a backup.

Old December 31st 03, 04:39 PM
Michelle P

Fuji,
That thought has crossed my mind. It brings visions of the blue screen
of death on a Low ILS Final.
Until Apple make one that is more stable then we are stuck with it.

Michelle

Old December 31st 03, 05:14 PM
John Roncallo

Michelle P wrote:

Hi all,
I just read my latest Aviation Consumer and AOPA Pilot. I have been in
search of a backup option for my attitude indicator. I have inquired and
looked at the electric AIs. The responses were luke warm to the quality
of the AIs. If I am spending $2000 for an instrument I expect it to work
period.
The Articles could not have come at a better time. I love the idea of
spending a little more and getting a multi function system.
The mini/Micro efis's on the pocket pc seems like a great idea! I can
run moving map software and the EFIS at the same time as well as do some
pre-flight planning and get weather too!

The legal aspects are few. In an emergency the rule book is out the
window. so It can be use d to get you down if necessary.

Michelle

It sounds great except for how you would actually use it in an ACTUAL
emergency.

1) Your flying along as an IFR pilot in the soup when suddenly you AI
goes out. This is not the time to reach into your flight bad and pull
out your laptop or PDA and boot it up.

2) Your flying along as an VFR pilot and inadvertently end up in the
soup while at the same time your AI goes out. This really is not the
time to reach into your flight bad and pull out your laptop or PDA and
boot it up.

3) You leave the laptop or PDA on for the whole flight. Maybe it's
conveniently clamped to your yoke. An hour into the flight you end up
into the soup but fortunately you have your PDA all booted up and ready
to go.

Option 3 sounds like it would work, except for this plan to work
effectively. It would have to be mounted and running at all times. This
is an inconvenient location for me to install stand by stuff, and I
think it would end up being in the bag when really needed, see option #1
and #2. This is what makes the back up electrical AI more appealing to
me. On at all times and out of the way.

John Roncallo