Aft fuselage statics

Old March 15th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Aft fuselage statics

I am faced with leaking aft fuselage statics. Repairing them is going
to be a problem as I am not 18inches tall, which is the max heights for
getting back into the fuselage.

I recall reading an illustrated article several years ago about
installing aft fuselage statics in a glider that had none. That article
may have some information that would be of help to me in fixing this
glider.

Does anyone remember that article? It may have come from a vario
manufacture but I have Googled several combinations of the subject and
not found anything useful.

Anyone have some helpful information?

Robert Mudd
Moriarty, New Mexico

Old March 15th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Robert,

Let me know what you find out. My glider has a leak
in one of the two static lines and the leak is somewhere
back where you need to be 18' tall, or shorter, to
find and repair.

I thought you might have to cut a hole in the side
of the fuselage where the port is and replace the tubing
between the port and on up to the panel.

Thanks,

Ray Lovinggood

Old March 15th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bob Kuykendall wrote:
I installed a new set of aft statics a few weeks back, it was really
easy.

Eleventh photo down on this page:

http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24/upda...January_06.htm

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24

Well sure it is when the fuselage has not yet been joined.

Robert Mudd

Old March 15th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 15 Mar 2006 09:18:55 -0800, "
wrote:

I am faced with leaking aft fuselage statics. Repairing them is going
to be a problem as I am not 18inches tall, which is the max heights for
getting back into the fuselage.

I recall reading an illustrated article several years ago about
installing aft fuselage statics in a glider that had none. That article
may have some information that would be of help to me in fixing this
glider.

Does anyone remember that article? It may have come from a vario
manufacture but I have Googled several combinations of the subject and
not found anything useful.

Anyone have some helpful information?

Robert Mudd
Moriarty, New Mexico

IIRC it was a Wil Schuman article. May have been in one of the Soaring
Symposia writeups. I believe at least some of them are available on
line. Don't have the URL to hand.

Mike Borgelt
Old March 16th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If you can get the old tube off without damaging the port or the
fuselage, you can pull a new one on with a piece of steel cable. With
the old tube off, insert a piece of 1/16 stranded steel cable, (a
couple of feet longer than the tube), through the port. Fish the cable
out of the fuselage and thread the tube over it. Once the cable is all
the way through, wrap it around a nail or screw securely. Pull on the
cable at the port, and the tube will be pulled onto the port. You can
then cut off the cable where it was wrapped around the nail and remove
the cable from the tube. A couple of things that will make this easier
are to use a hobby knife to flare the inside edges id the tube
slightly. Warming the tube end slightly will also help. A little
lubricant won't hurt, either.

Enjoy...

Jack Womack