Any thoughts on today's N999LJ overrun at Columbia?

Old September 21st 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.[_2_]

Default Any thoughts on today's N999LJ overrun at Columbia?

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
"Bob F." wrote in
news
"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
"Patty" wrote in
:

My wild spec, for starters, begins with, most likely, that the
pilots that were not familiar with runway constraints.

What's a runway constraint?

Bertie

At the end of the runway, there is a 5000 ft drop, straight down. How's
that for a constraint.

Gives you some time to get flying speed up...

Bertie

oops sorry, I just took another look at the article and noticed the accident
happened at Columbia S.C. I thought the accident was at Columbia Airport
in the California Sierra's. No drop that I know of in S.C.

--
Regards, Bob F.

Old September 21st 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Vaughn Simon wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
On Sep 20, 8:45 am, "Patty" wrote:
I haven't seen any factual information yet other than the fact that
the plane went off the end of the runway.

But this is the Internet, so we can just wildly speculate right?

Vaughn

And people will...
Old September 21st 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Bob F." wrote in
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
"Bob F." wrote in
news
"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
"Patty" wrote in
:

My wild spec, for starters, begins with, most likely, that the
pilots that were not familiar with runway constraints.

What's a runway constraint?

Bertie

At the end of the runway, there is a 5000 ft drop, straight down.
How's that for a constraint.

Gives you some time to get flying speed up...

Bertie

oops sorry, I just took another look at the article and noticed the
accident happened at Columbia S.C. I thought the accident was at
Columbia Airport in the California Sierra's. No drop that I know of
in S.C.

OK, but what I meant was that a pilot of an aircraft of that performance
level isn't really thinking "restraint". It's really more cut and dried
than that.

Bertie
Old September 21st 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
"Patty" wrote in
:

What's a runway constraint?

Bertie

At the end of the runway, there is a 5000 ft drop, straight down.
How's that for a constraint.

exactly

Who plans on using what lies beyond the end of a runway?

It doesn't answer the question.

Bertie

Oh, you were asking a serious question. What about a clearway? It's beyond
the end of the runway and used for planning purposes...no?

--
Regards, Bob F.

Old September 21st 08, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Sep 20, 2:08*pm, "Patty" wrote:
My wild spec, for starters, *begins with, *most likely, *that the pilots
that were not familiar with runway constraints. *Plain and simple. *Have a
better theory, at this point?

Ok, here is a possibility that is equally supported by the current
evidence as your theory. I think all this hunting for Big Foot has Big
on the run and he's coming down from the hills and jumping in front of
airplanes.

-robert
Old September 21st 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
TheTruth[_3_]

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Sep 20, 2:08 pm, "Patty" wrote:
My wild spec, for starters, begins with, most likely, that the pilots
that were not familiar with runway constraints. Plain and simple. Have a
better theory, at this point?

Ok, here is a possibility that is equally supported by the current
evidence as your theory. I think all this hunting for Big Foot has Big
on the run and he's coming down from the hills and jumping in front of
airplanes.

-robert

Midnight departure?
Shades of LEX perhaps?

Possibly just one tired over worked poorly trained inexperienced
controller on duty while the high priced FAA managers chase whores and
wine and dine the neighbor's wife?

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old September 21st 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike

"TheTruth" wrote in message
Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Sep 20, 2:08 pm, "Patty" wrote:
My wild spec, for starters, begins with, most likely, that the pilots
that were not familiar with runway constraints. Plain and simple. Have
better theory, at this point?

Ok, here is a possibility that is equally supported by the current
evidence as your theory. I think all this hunting for Big Foot has Big
on the run and he's coming down from the hills and jumping in front of
airplanes.

-robert

Midnight departure?
Shades of LEX perhaps?

Both runways are longer than 8,000', crackhead. Try again, JJ.

Old September 21st 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ed

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 19:33:27 -0400, "Bob F."
wrote:

At the end of the runway, there is a 5000 ft drop, straight down. How's
that for a constraint.

Gives you some time to get flying speed up...

Bertie

oops sorry, I just took another look at the article and noticed the accident
happened at Columbia S.C. I thought the accident was at Columbia Airport
in the California Sierra's. No drop that I know of in S.C.

I have been into Columbia, California airport many times and if there
is a 5000 ft drop, they must have dug it recently.

Ed Sullivan
Old September 21st 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Bob F." wrote in
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
"Patty" wrote in
:

What's a runway constraint?

Bertie

At the end of the runway, there is a 5000 ft drop, straight down.
How's that for a constraint.

exactly

Who plans on using what lies beyond the end of a runway?

It doesn't answer the question.

Bertie

Oh, you were asking a serious question. What about a clearway? It's
beyond the end of the runway and used for planning purposes...no?

True, but it's part of the runway environment. The point I was trying to
make was that the word just didn't seem to fit the picture. I dont know
what word I would use in it's place. Performance limitations would
probably be closer to it, but that probably had little to do with the
accident in any case, as they were probably well within those..
I just thought "constraint" is a bit tabloid n this case.

Bertie
Old September 21st 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

TheTruth wrote in
:

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Sep 20, 2:08 pm, "Patty" wrote:
My wild spec, for starters, begins with, most likely, that the
pilots that were not familiar with runway constraints. Plain and
simple. Have a better theory, at this point?

Ok, here is a possibility that is equally supported by the current
evidence as your theory. I think all this hunting for Big Foot has
Big on the run and he's coming down from the hills and jumping in
front of airplanes.

-robert

Midnight departure?
Shades of LEX perhaps?

Possibly just one tired over worked poorly trained inexperienced
controller on duty while the high priced FAA managers chase whores and
wine and dine the neighbor's wife?

unlikely unless the airplane ran into another airplen, since all
controllers do is keep airplanes seperated.

Fjukkkwit.

Bertie

MDW Overrun - SWA Rick Piloting 201 January 12th 06 02:12 AM
columbia anyone disciplined? old hoodoo Military Aviation 2 September 15th 03 03:58 AM
be careful if you fly in Columbia EDR Piloting 0 August 20th 03 05:43 PM
Age Wasn't a Cause of the Columbia Disaster blackfire Military Aviation 0 July 15th 03 01:21 AM