SACRAMENTO - SAC or SMF

Old April 6th 04, 07:51 AM
Jeff

I wished lincoln had a nice hotel, thats where the horse is we are going to see.

I think we will be flying in about 7pm thursday night. the weather is looking
real good so far.

Jack Allison wrote:

Hi Jeff. I fly out of Lincoln. Nice little airport but ya, no
hotels/rental cars. SAC (or "Sacramento Executive) is probably the best bet
if you're staying at the Sheraton in down town Sacramento. It can be a busy
place but I've never had any problems getting in/out of there. Make sure
you have an airport diagram as other folks have mentioned, it can be a tad
confusing the first time. Transient parking is near the base of the tower.

Enjoy your stay here in the Sacramento area.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old April 6th 04, 07:57 AM
Jeff

I just found that out about the cars today, the FBO I made the car reservation through told
me since they close at 4pm, I can pick the car up at the jet center, so I am assuming they
are open later then 7pm, but I am going to call just to be sure.

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Really the only reason to go into SMF is if you need a rental car at a
convient time. SAC can arrange to have cars but its a 9-5 M-F thing,
SMF has cars 24x7. SAC is very GA friendly. SMF will have a police
officer waiting to talk to you when you shutdown (they need name/N
number). SMF is actually not bad for GA, they have their own GA area
and all, they're just not used to too much of it. Fuel can be tough
because you are WAY down on the priority list for the truck. The other
problem is that SMF is out in the middle of nowhere.
I've been vectored all the way to Marysville waiting for my slot on
the ILS at SMF too, the airline guys certainly seem to get priority.

Practice approaches are also discouraged at SMF. They usually require
full stop landings to prevent us from usnig SMF for instrument
training. SAC is very, very friendly toward training and often has 3
or 4 planes on the ILS on a busy, clear summer weekend.

-Robert, CFI

Jeff wrote in message ...
on the 9th we are flying into the Sacramento, California area, I havn't
made up my mind which airport to use, SAC or SMF.
Anyone here familiar with the area and is either better then the other
for GA ?
I am leaning towards SAC because of the cross runways and looks to be a
good GA airport.

Old April 6th 04, 05:05 PM
Robert M. Gary

Jeff wrote in message ...
I just found that out about the cars today, the FBO I made the car reservation through told
me since they close at 4pm, I can pick the car up at the jet center, so I am assuming they
are open later then 7pm, but I am going to call just to be sure.

With the Jet Center, make sure you double check all the charges when
you call. They have a reputation for charging a lot for parking and
finding little things to add to the charge. I took my O2 in there once
and they wanted something like $60 to fill it up. I ended up getting
it filled for $25 at Mather Aviation. If you check them out on
airnav.com you'll find more than a couple disappointed customers that
got surprised by a bill.

-Robert
Old April 7th 04, 02:36 AM
Jeff

I looked at their gas prices on airnav, gas is getting steep in your neck of the woods, 3.37 a
gallon for 100LL

thanks for the tip, I will double check my receipt with them.