Is 91.175 enforced in the USA?

Old December 20th 06, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Rosenfeld

Default Is 91.175 enforced in the USA?

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 11:50:26 +0000, Peter wrote:

This is the reg which prevents flying instrument approaches unless it
is a published one.

In the UK, this is not illegal (on G-reg aircraft). But then we don't
get the radar services here, etc.

In the USA, there are GPS approaches, and there are many more
instrument approaches anyway.

At the *practical* level, I am curious to what extent the FAA enforces
this regulation. I suppose this question is relevant only in the
context of airports which don't have a published IAP - I don't know
what % this is in the USA.

I don't know about how vigorously violations of the rule are sought out.
But I believe that if a violation came to the attention of the FAA, it
would be pursued. 91.175, of course, is concerned with many more issues
than just the existence of a published IAP. And it does allow the use of
private IAP's under certain circumstances.

I'm surprised that you can devise your own IAP's in GB without oversight.

Pilots tend to fly descents using a GPS, etc.

I generally use changes in power, airspeed and a/c configuration to fly a
descent g. I've not found any GPS control that accomplishes this.

In the US, there is always a minimum altitude to which you can descend
under IFR, even without an IAP. It may be as low as 1000' AGL. This can be
useful in landing at airports with no published IAP.
Old December 20th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Doug[_1_]

The large majority of FAA rules are on an honor basis. Also, even if
violated, there is a "no harm, no foul" attitude in that controllers
don't "turn in" pilots (and vice versa). All bets are off if there is
an accident or an ATC alarm goes off.

But generally, almost all pilots in the US adhere to the rule that if
there are instrument conditions then you have to fly by IFR flight
rules and that includes landings done only under Instrument procedures.
There is an exception, that in Class G airspace you can FLY without an
IFR clearance, but that does not include landings. At any rate, landing
at an airport with low ceilings and coming down through a low cloud
deck just isnt done without an ATC clearance and an instrument
approach.

It is legal to fly under a cloud deck, even as a low as 600' or so
under SOME conditions. (I once legally flew at 500' MSL under a 600'
cloud deck for 200 miles along the Alaskan west coast). Also you can
get "special VFR" clearance in Class E, D and C surface areas but you
have to stay VFR. So there are some ways to fly in marginal VFR
conditions. But none of this includes flying in the clouds on a
non-instrument approach. You can't really legally do that and it's very
dangerous.

So I would say, yes, it is enforced. I can tell you that violating it
isn't condoned amongst the pilots I have ever met. IMC means instrument
approach if the ceilings are low enough that the regs require it. No
exceptions!

Old December 20th 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Doug wrote:
So there are some ways to fly in marginal VFR
conditions.

When can't one fly in MVFR?

Thanks!
ak.

Old December 22nd 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Judah

wrote in news:1166643013.920698.10150@
48g2000cwx.googlegroups.com:

When can't one fly in MVFR?