Glider EFIS anyone?

Old January 16th 13, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Glider EFIS anyone?

On 1/16/2013 9:35 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:

The analog airspeed still seems to be better than a numeric one, but I
don't have a numeric ASI to see if that's true. The airspeed is quite
a different quantity than altitude, and maybe that's why digital might
not be a good choice for it: airspeed has the same "right" and "wrong"
positions during the flight, regardless of your location; the "right"
altitude varies constantly during the flight.

Your 302 has digital indicated airspeed on screen 10.

True, but it means I lose the digital altitude, push/pull icons, and avg
climb rate. There's also a lot of info on a standard ASI (flap settings,
rough air and red line) that is not on the 302 readout, so it doesn't
seem like good test of a digital ASI

email me)
Old January 16th 13, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sam Discusflyer[_2_]

One suggestion for the digital airspeed display is to add color.
Either as a color digit display or a color background display.

I know this might not work for color blindness. So options to add
color based on speed threshholds. The pilot could decide to use
maneuvering speed or flap speeds or ????

The oudie uses this for the green or orange box around airport/land
out waypoints.

Steve

Old January 17th 13, 08:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
folken

I think you are looking for this:

http://www.lxnavigation.si/lx-zeus/
Old January 17th 13, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:39:27 AM UTC-6, folken wrote:
I think you are looking for this:

http://www.lxnavigation.si/lx-zeus/

Bingo!
Danke, Folken
Herbert
Old January 19th 13, 06:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

This is the "simple" glass panel in my self-launching TeST 10M:
http://www.brauniger.com/en/products.../overview.html
I have this plus 302 and Oudie -- that's it. Works very nicely.
Old August 15th 16, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi. Take a look at Glance EFIS: http://glance-efis.com

It's suitable for gliders.
Old August 15th 16, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

The LX 9070 with S-80 or s-1010 is effectively an EFIS. The s-80 with display digital A/S and Alt, and so will the LX9070. The LX9070 also can be configured with tape display for A/S, Alt, and vario. Add a Butterfly display and you now have three glass instruments that give you all the flight data you need and more.

What I want is a true HUD with vario, A/S and traffic.

On Sunday, January 13, 2013 at 10:37:47 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Looking at the options for instrumentation for new Light Sport Aircraft, I find most manufacturers to offer a complete glass panel for flight instruments, engine controls, communications and of course navigation. There is nothing round with a pointer to be found and everything requires electrons to work. Factory-made gliders require of course to be equipped with certified instruments but I wonder if anybody in our small niche of aircraft instrument design is working on a one-panel box that shows the usual flight information. Given the progress in that area, it is certainly technically feasible.
We would have to get used to vertical tapes for speed and altitude but everything could be over-laid a navigation screen with the usual soaring computer information in dedicated boxes. This would clean up our busy panels and we could rid ourselves of the ugly external boxes that stick out from the panel or the canopy frame. I’d be interested in such a panel and would think in the long run this could well be marketed to the existing glider fleet, especially in the Experimental category. So who might be working on a Glider-EFIS?

Old August 16th 16, 01:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Muttley

This looks about just right to me ( in a JS1)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...3FGc2loV1NsOWc

round instrument on the left seems to be a ASI

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...29VSzd1TzYzT2M

round instrument on the right S-80

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...0hmYjR3SHVnNzQ
Old August 16th 16, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bryan Searle[_2_]

I am working on a low-cost EFIS system for gliders! As it will be
non-approved initially it will be suitable for UL/Experimental gliders, but
could be used as advisory instrumentation for certified gliders. It uses
low-cost off-the-shelf components for all the sensors and a high brightness
colour LCD. I am thinking of a 'kit' type product, as the main component is
the dedicated software. Two identical units are used, one for the primary
instruments and another for an innovative graphical variometer. Either unit
may be switched for primary or vario function providing fail-safe in the
event of power failure, but each unit will also contain a battery for
3rd/4th level fail-safe. The moving-map or tactical display would be a
completely separate unit, for which there are many alternatives. A
Raspberry Pi with a high brightness screen would be ideal. This makes for a
much more cost effective and equally capable solution than the very
expensive and complex 'one-box' variometer/navigation units on offer. So
the panel will consist of just 3 LCDs, that's it, no steam gauges - PM me.

=
[...]

e panel or the canopy frame. I=E2=80=99d be interested in such a panel

Old August 17th 16, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Ainslie

I just went to the LX Nav page, and boy have things changed! It looks like they're putting out some interesting instruments. The ASI that someone pointed out earlier in the JS1 cockpit ( I think called the Salus) looks amazing. Anybody have any idea what the price on that ASI is?

EFIS Wars.... Andy Home Built 10 August 19th 06 04:18 AM
EFIS [email protected] Soaring 6 November 15th 05 12:00 PM
EFIS faadpe Soaring 2 November 15th 05 06:28 AM
EFIS one for sale nametab Aviation Marketplace 0 March 4th 04 12:31 AM
EFIS One for sale nametab Home Built 0 March 4th 04 12:29 AM