Naval Aviator Production

Old March 28th 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Frank Minich

Default Naval Aviator Production

Hi,

Does anybody know of a chart showing the number of Naval Aviators
'graduating' on a year-by-year basis, going back to the 40's?

I know it would be tougher now that "Naval Aviator numbers" are not assigned
to individuals, but I'm just wondering.
What with the 'payback' period growing longer and longer, and the number of
P3s and carriers continuing to head downward, seems like the number would be
approaching 0.

When I went through Pensacola in 73, there was an unused wing at the BOQ
that "was full during VietNam" (so they said). It was mildly depressing
then - I wonder what it's like now.

Frank

Old March 28th 08, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
John Carrier

Can't speak to Helo and Maritime production, but strike aviators have run a
bit under 300/year for several years now. I suspect the data is buried in
CNATRA or BUPERS somewhere ... probably not accessible on line.

R / John

Old March 29th 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Bill Kambic

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 08:52:19 -0500, "Frank Minich"
wrote:

Hi,

Does anybody know of a chart showing the number of Naval Aviators
'graduating' on a year-by-year basis, going back to the 40's?

Someplace in my "stored stuff" I have a chart that goes from the end
of WWII into the early '70s. It's gross numbers. I have no idea what
box it's in, but I got it when I was drilling with the CNATRA Reserve
Unit. If I can lay my hands on it, I will. But no promises on either
timetable or success! :-)

I know it would be tougher now that "Naval Aviator numbers" are not assigned
to individuals, but I'm just wondering.
What with the 'payback' period growing longer and longer, and the number of
P3s and carriers continuing to head downward, seems like the number would be
approaching 0.

When I went through Pensacola in 73, there was an unused wing at the BOQ
that "was full during VietNam" (so they said). It was mildly depressing
then - I wonder what it's like now.

AOCS and OCS are now consolitated in Newport. I was in P'Cola last
Jan. it was a virtual "ghost town." I reported in June, '68 and a
"ghost town" it was not!!!!!!! :-)

My recollection of the chart is that into the roughly '63-64 time
frame production was significant. At that time it dropped
significantly. I'm told the drop was the result of the "Whiz Kids"
learning that a significant percentage of Nuggets were not assigned to
Fleet Seats upon graduation, but ended up "stashed" someplace
(SERGRAD, station pilot, etc.).

In my graduating class (July, '69) most went to P-3s, a few (like me
:-) ) to Stoofs, and a smaller percentage of Fudds (E-1 and E-2),
C-130s, VRC, VR, SERGRAD, and one to a non-flying billet at the
NAVPHOTOCEN.

Old March 29th 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
R Leonard[_2_]

On Mar 28, 9:52*am, "Frank Minich" wrote:
Hi,

Does anybody know of a chart showing the number of Naval Aviators
'graduating' on a year-by-year basis, going back to the 40's?

A big chunk of what you are looking for may be found at

http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-1910/APP01.PDF

Regards,

Rich
Old March 31st 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Frank Minich

"R Leonard" wrote in message
On Mar 28, 9:52 am, "Frank Minich" wrote:
Hi,

Does anybody know of a chart showing the number of Naval Aviators
'graduating' on a year-by-year basis, going back to the 40's?

A big chunk of what you are looking for may be found at

http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-1910/APP01.PDF

Regards,

Rich

Thanks, Rich, that's very good, up through 1995.

Does anybody have the numbers for the last dozen years?

Disclaimer: I don't want them if they are classified or FOUO!

Frank

Old March 31st 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
John Carrier

"R Leonard" wrote in message
On Mar 28, 9:52 am, "Frank Minich" wrote:
Hi,

Does anybody know of a chart showing the number of Naval Aviators
'graduating' on a year-by-year basis, going back to the 40's?

A big chunk of what you are looking for may be found at

http://www.history.navy.mil/avh-1910/APP01.PDF

Regards,

Rich

Thanks, Rich, that's very good, up through 1995.

Does anybody have the numbers for the last dozen years?

Disclaimer: I don't want them if they are classified or FOUO!

I just realized why these numbers didn't seem quite right. I got my wings
in early 1971 and had a naval aviator number in the low 30,000's. That
hardly jibes with these numbers. Is this just a body count of everyone
aviation trained, including navigators, etc?

R / John

Old April 1st 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
R Leonard[_2_]

On Mar 31, 6:15*pm, "John Carrier" wrote:

I just realized why these numbers didn't seem quite right. *I got my wings
in early 1971 and had a naval aviator number in the low 30,000's. *That
hardly jibes with these numbers. *Is this just a body count of everyone
aviation trained, including navigators, etc?

R / John-

No, these are all naval aviators . . . the guys wearing the wings with
the shield and single upright anchor . . . and include marines and
coasties who wear the same. No specialties, NFOs, Flight Surgeons,
and such, but includes the NAPs.

The numbering system changed a couple of times during the WWII years,
so yours is not a consecutive number. Somewhere around the third
quarter of 1943 they already hit 30,000. The article explains it.

Some time after your number was issued they stopped numbering all
together. Not sure, but I think I heard somewhere the powers that be
just decided to start them up again, but I could be wrong on that. If
they did, one would wonder at what point they restarted.

My father's number was 6953 from November 1940, when all numbers were
in sequence, which looks about right.

Regards,

Rich

Old April 18th 10, 12:34 PM
karenbmeister karenbmeister is offline
Junior Member

Hey, I got my wings March 19, 1993. Any idea how I find my Naval Aviator Number?
Thanks,
Karen (Stamminger)