"Homeland Security" in Iowa

Old December 29th 03, 09:55 PM
Rosspilot

We
cower at the mere threat that someone may try to hurt us... I am ashamed of
my country....

I'm more embarrassed than ashamed. But you make a valid point.

We are terrorizing ourselves . . . check out Fox News--they have "Terror
Alert--HIGH" permanently on the lower left corner of the screen.

I refuse to be terrorized. I don't care what the hell they threaten to do,
what the intelligence "buzz" is, or anything else.

I suggest everyone simply stop being so afraid and we can declare the War on
Terror over and get back to the really important things--like Michael Jackson
f'rinstance. :-)

www.Rosspilot.com

Old December 29th 03, 10:31 PM
Jürgen Exner

Jay Honeck wrote:
[...story about relative being searched by security personal]
Today my sister called, to drop the other shoe. Turns out my OTHER
sister (his aunt) had given my poor nephew a wrapped Xmas present, to
give to his Dad. Inside this present was a "Leatherman Multi-tool"
-- obviously something that could be used as a weapon! My poor
nephew had NO idea what was in this wrapped gift,

Then I guess your nephew lied when he was asked if he had packed the
suitcase himself and if anyone has given him anything to carry on the
airplane...

All in all I would call it a valuable lesson in why it is important to
answer questions truthfully.

jue

Old December 29th 03, 10:48 PM
Robert Moore

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote

The other reality is that as a nation we no longer have any
balls... We cower at the mere threat that someone may try to
hurt us... I am ashamed of my country....

Denny...a thought that we share!

Bob Moore
Old December 29th 03, 11:04 PM
Ron Natalie

"EDR" wrote in message ...
In article , Nomen Nescio
] wrote:

I dread the day they catch a terrorist with a couple pounds of C-4
concealed....uh.....rectally.

Hey, the CIA made listening devices to look like tiger turds and seeded
the trails of Southeast Asia with them... it's possible.

You don't even have to go as far as the CIA. The personnel detection device
camouflaged as a pile of crap is standard US Army issue. I remember reading
about it in the Preventive Maintenance comic books.

Old December 29th 03, 11:10 PM
Andrew Rowley

"Jim Fisher" wrote:

I would be most confident that most of this "story" is made up of complete
lies and hyperbole. If there is any truth at all to the story, I believe
the goofy author obvious did something silly like not registering with the
I-visa program or packing a leatherman in the carry-on or perhaps just
making made a complete ass of herself at the gate.

The article says she did not have the I-visa. I don't have any
knowledge of the treatment after she was denied entry, but the story
doesn't sound like it was made up to me.

I almost had the same thing happen to me flying into Heathrow. The
reason? I was only staying 4 weeks but had an open dated ticket. (The
reason for the ticket was that I was on airline staff travel.) That
was almost enough to get me straight back on the plane home again. I
had a hard time convincing the immigration guy that I was legitimate.
I am sure the USA or indeed Australia is no different to the UK.

The immigration people can allow or deny entry without any real
evidence, and there is no appeal. It is basically done on the
judgement or opinion of the immigration officer. As well as my
incident I have heard a number of similar ones where people were
denied entry for offences such as trying to enter as a tourist but
having work related items in their luggage. A good reason not to take
work with you if you go on holiday.

As for the handcuffs etc later, I guess having spent thousands on a
flight, and having being traveling for 20 something hours some
people's tempers may get a bit short if you tell them they are going
straight back home again.
Old December 29th 03, 11:52 PM
Jay Honeck

One reality is that in the hands of someone young, strong, and willing to
die, a Leatherman tool is a weapon when he is the only one so armed in an
enclosed cabin...

You have clearly never tried to open those damned sealed plastic packages!
;-)

I received a USB "Attaché" for Xmas. (It's a thingy you plug into your USB
port, and it acts like a hard-drive. Great for backing up your work, and
it's small enough to keep on a keychain!)

The stupid thing was sealed in a plastic container that defied ALL attempts
to open it -- until I actually fetched my TIN SNIPS. This is the kind of
stuff the Leatherman tool was sealed in!

*sigh* Sadly, I agree with the rest of your post. Our nation has become
wimps, all.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 30th 03, 12:20 AM
C J Campbell

"EDR" wrote in message
| In article , Nomen Nescio
| ] wrote:
|
| I dread the day they catch a terrorist with a couple pounds of C-4
| concealed....uh.....rectally.
|
| Hey, the CIA made listening devices to look like tiger turds and seeded
| the trails of Southeast Asia with them... it's possible.

Crap! The OSS made bombs shaped like camel turds in North Africa during WW
II.

Old December 30th 03, 12:22 AM
C J Campbell

"Jürgen Exner" wrote in message
| Jay Honeck wrote:
| [...story about relative being searched by security personal]
| Today my sister called, to drop the other shoe. Turns out my OTHER
| sister (his aunt) had given my poor nephew a wrapped Xmas present, to
| give to his Dad. Inside this present was a "Leatherman Multi-tool"
| -- obviously something that could be used as a weapon! My poor
| nephew had NO idea what was in this wrapped gift,
|
| Then I guess your nephew lied when he was asked if he had packed the
| suitcase himself and if anyone has given him anything to carry on the
| airplane...
|
| All in all I would call it a valuable lesson in why it is important to
| answer questions truthfully.

And I would call it a valuable lesson in why it is nobody's damned business.

Old December 30th 03, 12:36 AM
Peter Gottlieb

Darn, missed that. I would have vouched for her, and even taken her home if
necessary.

"EDR" wrote in message
In article , Jim
wrote:

I'm beginning to think that we all demand to fly commercially.... NAKED!

It
would make things so much easier.

Naw... a french woman stripped down to her undies at the checkpoint
here in Columbus last summer and got arrested.

Old December 30th 03, 01:03 AM
Jürgen Exner

EDR wrote:
In article , Jim
wrote:

I'm beginning to think that we all demand to fly commercially....
NAKED! It would make things so much easier.

Naw... a french woman stripped down to her undies at the checkpoint
here in Columbus last summer and got arrested.

Yeah, but that could happen only in the US of A.
In France she would have been invited to a champaigne brunch.

jue

Rules on what can be in a hangar Brett Justus Owning 13 February 27th 04 05:35 PM
Old Iowa City Sectionals on line! Jay Honeck Piloting 4 December 17th 03 09:59 PM
Battleship Iowa vets meet for reunion Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 August 17th 03 10:21 PM
Last Chance -- Free Beer in Iowa Sunday! Jay Honeck Owning 1 July 26th 03 04:57 AM
Oshkosh Bound? Free Beer in Iowa! Jay Honeck Piloting 14 July 22nd 03 08:28 PM