Combat Air Museum in Topeka worth it?

Old October 22nd 03, 01:19 PM
Jay Honeck

I meant which airport in Topeka.

Well, you probably gleaned this from their website, but it's at Forbes
Field.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 23rd 03, 03:38 AM
netnews.comcast.net

Anyone been to the SAC Museum between Omaha & Lincoln? I was near there last
weekend, but had no time to stop in. I would like to return from Dallas if
it is worthwhile. I went to their web site, but could not find a listing of
aircraft in the collection. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bruce Riggs
KADS

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
For an hour 45 minute flight it is worth it. I have certainly been to
better aviation museums but there is no such thing as a bad aviation
museum. Besides I would rather fly 1:45 and see a museum than eat a
hamburger.

Me, too!

Thanks for the feedback...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 23rd 03, 01:52 PM
Jay Honeck

Anyone been to the SAC Museum between Omaha & Lincoln? I was near there
last
weekend, but had no time to stop in. I would like to return from Dallas if
it is worthwhile. I went to their web site, but could not find a listing

of
aircraft in the collection. Any ideas?

The SAC museum is AWESOME. It is second only to the Air Force Museum in
Dayton, Ohio, and ranks (in my opinion) ahead of the National Air & Space
Museum for good, old-fashioned airplane gawking. (This may soon change,
when the NASM opens their new facility, allowing them to display their
aircraft collection.)

The only down-side of the place is that it's no where near an airport! Of
all the stupid places for an aviation museum, I do believe they managed to
find the worst one possible.

Still, we've made the trip from Iowa several times, and always left wanting
to spend more time there. It's well worth your effort.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 26th 03, 02:18 PM
goy

Does anyone know of a website or other source of information about museums
across the country that are related to aviation? Especially if the museums
are located on or within 'walking distance' of an airport?

george

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Thinking about a day trip from Iowa City to this museum in Topeka, KS, on
Wednesday. Destination Direct says we'll be there in 1:44.

Anyone been there? Is it worth the trip?

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 26th 03, 03:05 PM
David Hill

Try http://www.aero-web.org/museums/museums.htm

--
David Hill
david at hillREMOVETHISfamily.org

Old October 27th 03, 02:08 AM
Pat Thronson

David,
This museum is close by air, approx. 5 miles drive.

http://www.bongheritagecenter.org/

Been there twice, nice representation of the P-38J. Marge Bong gave a
recollection of that era. I was lucky to also have her sign Richard Bong`s
book.

Pat Thronson
PS... DLH... test fly the Cirrus SR-22 in Duluth MN

Old October 27th 03, 03:02 AM
Jay Honeck

http://www.bongheritagecenter.org/

Been there twice, nice representation of the P-38J. Marge Bong gave a
recollection of that era. I was lucky to also have her sign Richard Bong`s
book.

And on a sad note, Marge just passed away a few days (weeks?) ago...

Another one of "The Greatest Generation" goes West...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 28th 03, 09:08 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Jay, Forbes Field was torn down years ago. I used to sit in the bleachers
in left field.

What?... Oh, you don't mean the one in Pittsburgh. Sorry.

Old October 28th 03, 09:24 PM
Jay Honeck

Jay, Forbes Field was torn down years ago. I used to sit in the bleachers
in left field.

Gee, was that one named after the fellow who died (along with Edwards) in
the Northrop Flying Wing, too?

If so, this poor Forbes guy just can't seem to buy any luck. Edwards gets
the cool, experimental aircraft base, while poor Forbes gets a closed base
in Kansas, and a torn down stadium in Pennsylvania?

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA