quick question -

Old July 17th 08, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default quick question -

george wrote in news:2ae71e29-2085-4fde-800e-7b70dbd2a3f8
@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

On Jul 17, 8:51 am, george wrote:

Piper Cubs mate :-)
the 60 horse power variety

Whoops. My bad.
It was a J2.
PA18s have electrics AFAIK they have electric start.
Sheer luxury

Most of them do but the J2 had a 40 HP continental. The J3 came with a
variety of engines from a variety of manufacturers from 50 HP to 65,
though.

Bertie
Old July 17th 08, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Jul 17, 12:05 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Most of them do but the J2 had a 40 HP continental. The J3 came with a
variety of engines from a variety of manufacturers from 50 HP to 65,
though.

For a while here they (PA18's) were used for topdressing and aerial
spraying and all had starters.

Old July 17th 08, 06:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

george wrote in news:abc9fb07-f50b-45cc-827c-c9ec9b69b6d0
@f36g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

On Jul 17, 12:05 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Most of them do but the J2 had a 40 HP continental. The J3 came with a
variety of engines from a variety of manufacturers from 50 HP to 65,
though.

For a while here they (PA18's) were used for topdressing and aerial
spraying and all had starters.

Oh, I think all PA-18s came with starters, even the little 95 horse ones
had electrical systems. Some had them stripped out for weight is all.

Bertie
Old July 18th 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:01:17 -0700 (PDT), george
wrote:

It was a J2.
PA18s have electrics AFAIK they have electric start.
Sheer luxury

The J-2s, J-3s, and PA-11s were all built without electrics. The PA-18
was built in a variety of styles, with engines ranging from 95 hp to
150 hp. The early models had no flaps and a single wing tank. Oddly
enough, the best book on Piper aircraft (by Roger Peperell) doesn't
address the subject of electrics. Peter Bowers's book says that as
first offered, the "standard" version of the PA-18 had no electrics,
while the "deluxe" had a starter, battery, etc. Flaps were added in
the PA-18-125.

The early Super Cubs were less than $3000. I am just getting
acquainted with a Legend Cub, which is essentially a PA-11 with
electrics added, two wing tanks, no flaps, a cockpit three inches
wider than the original, and doors/windows on both sides. Fully kitted
out, it goes for about $130,000.

About half that increase is simply the devaluation of the dollar since
1945. The other Cub I fly is a 1946 J-3 that went out the door for
$2300 in August that year. We are required to carry $60,000 hull
insurance in order to rent it. Its actual resale value is probably
something in the neighborhood of $40,000.

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollins www.FlyingTigersBook.com
Old July 19th 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Clark" wrote

'cause he is obviously full of it...anyone can claim anything...this guy
does not acknowledge common terminology so he gets the skeptical point of
view.

I wonder if Ken took a new screen name?
--
Jim in NC

Old July 19th 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Cubdriver usenet AT danford DOT net wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Even though the PA 18 is seen as a cub, it's really quite a different
airplane. The Cubs through the 11 were really parasol aircraft with an
encolsure added, wheras the Supercub was a true cabin aricraft. ..

Old July 19th 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Jul 19, 1:36 pm, Clark wrote:
Stealth Pilot wrote innews

On 16 Jul 2008 02:47:40 GMT, Clark wrote:

george wrote in
news:44fab440-a69d-4f9d-88f6-c83bbd8135b3 @m73g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

On Jul 15, 2:34 pm, Clark wrote:

You really mean sans-radio now don't you, sport.

Not being American no I don't mean that

Then what do you mean?

Do they still teach that ?

Still need to learn it now do you? Go pay the instructor and get the
help you need...

My question was and still is
Do they still teach pilots how to fly nonaudio circuits ?

cough, cough

I use
d to fly DH82s and PA18s in the 60s,

sure you did

tiger moths and cherokees ???
why do you doubt him???

'cause he is obviously full of it...anyone can claim anything...this guy
does not acknowledge common terminology so he gets the skeptical point of
view.

Riiiight.
As I stated before I am not American. I spell colour colour.
We use other terms than those you -might- be used to.
It took a while to find the photo but
http://www.koekejunction.hnpl.net/Pages/Flying.htm and it's the photo
at the bottom of the page.
The prop swinger is or was Harry Jenkins who was at the time a "C" Cat
instructor.
And I'm in the cockpit.

Apology awaited

Old July 19th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

wrote:

[...]

Yup. That was my bad I just posted without looking up the details in
the log book.
However you want to see my handsome youthful (1966) features take a
look at
http://www.koekejunction.hnpl.net/Pages/Flying.htm
Old July 19th 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

george wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Oh i wasn't correcting, just pointing out some cub trivia.

However you want to see my handsome youthful (1966) features take a
look at
http://www.koekejunction.hnpl.net/Pages/Flying.htm

Rallye.
Shudder!
?I flew one of those that was lucky to do 300 fpm.

Old July 19th 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

wrote:

[...]

The Cub yes.
It was actually quite dangerous to fill the seats
However the MS885 was a pretty good short field machine and I used to
drop in on the farmers in the family.