Gravity or Space-Time?

Old February 19th 12, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

Default Gravity or Space-Time?

Bizzare title right?

It is winter here in Chicago and no soaring to speak of - except for
the Bald Eagles that have just in the last few weeks been seen in the
Fox River valley for the first time in many, many years.

So I was watching a very interesting PBS Nova episode on YouTube about
the latest news and theories in Physics. One of the concepts
mentioned is that gravity works by warping the space-time continuum.
Whoa. Because gliders are always falling because of "gravity", I
thought you all might want to study up during this slack season.
Maybe it will help me fly better. Yeah...right.

Enjoy - John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy9gXKwRpXc
Old February 20th 12, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ralph Jones[_3_]

On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 07:48:37 -0800 (PST), JohnDeRosa
wrote:

Bizzare title right?

It is winter here in Chicago and no soaring to speak of - except for
the Bald Eagles that have just in the last few weeks been seen in the
Fox River valley for the first time in many, many years.

So I was watching a very interesting PBS Nova episode on YouTube about
the latest news and theories in Physics. One of the concepts
mentioned is that gravity works by warping the space-time continuum.
Whoa. Because gliders are always falling because of "gravity", I
thought you all might want to study up during this slack season.
Maybe it will help me fly better. Yeah...right.

Yes, I'm working on a Spacetime Straightening App for smartphones.
Just tap the STRAIGHTEN button, gravity turns off all around your
sailplane, and up you go.

But don't leave it on too long...;-)

rj
Old February 20th 12, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

wrote:
Bizzare title right?

It is winter here in Chicago and no soaring to speak of - except for
the Bald Eagles that have just in the last few weeks been seen in the
Fox River valley for the first time in many, many years.

So I was watching a very interesting PBS Nova episode on YouTube about
the latest news and theories in Physics. *One of the concepts
mentioned is that gravity works by warping the space-time continuum.
Whoa. *Because gliders are always falling because of "gravity", I
thought you all might want to study up during this slack season.
Maybe it will help me fly better. *Yeah...right.

Yes, I'm working on a Spacetime Straightening App for smartphones.
Just tap the STRAIGHTEN button, gravity turns off all around your
sailplane, and up you go.

But don't leave it on too long...;-)

rj

Ah, but Ralph, your app will drain the smartphone battery in
femtoseconds. All you need to do is warp space-time to shift the
gravity vector about one degree so your L/D is infinite. The same app
could distort the higgs field to reduce the glider's mass at the
bottom of thermals and increase it as you leave the thermal for in-
flight variable wing loading.
Old February 20th 12, 11:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott[_7_]

On 2-19-2012 15:48, JohnDeRosa wrote:
Bizzare title right?

It is winter here in Chicago and no soaring to speak of - except for
the Bald Eagles that have just in the last few weeks been seen in the
Fox River valley for the first time in many, many years.

So I was watching a very interesting PBS Nova episode on YouTube about
the latest news and theories in Physics. One of the concepts
mentioned is that gravity works by warping the space-time continuum.
Whoa. Because gliders are always falling because of "gravity", I
thought you all might want to study up during this slack season.
Maybe it will help me fly better. Yeah...right.

Enjoy - John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy9gXKwRpXc

Dunno...I think gliders themselves naturally affect the space-time
continuum. An hour in a glider is considerably shorter than an hour at
work.

Old February 20th 12, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

At 10:46 20 February 2012, Scott wrote:
[...]

According to Einstein that is relativity in action, "It's like when you sit
next to a pretty girl for one hour, and it feels like an minute, as opposed
to when you sit on a hot stove for one minute, and it feels like an hour."
That is relativity

Old February 20th 12, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Watched this last evening. Thanks for pointing it out.

The idea that we are living a reality which is a projection of the actual (currently unknown) edge of the universe is probably as hard to grasp as the world being round for those long before us. Amazing how far we have come from our little perch in the middle of nowhere.

Cool stuff. Thanks again.

Sean

Longest X/C Using Gravity Launch? sisu1a Soaring 2 November 13th 09 07:28 PM
An anti-gravity space vehicle? Jay Honeck Piloting 22 November 16th 05 12:21 PM
Sub-gravity sensation Rod Soaring 4 March 7th 04 04:20 PM
Gravity Waves [email protected] Soaring 0 December 10th 03 07:13 AM
Gravity launch Mark James Boyd Soaring 9 October 8th 03 03:32 AM