Those *dangerous* Korean War relics

Old June 4th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Those *dangerous* Korean War relics

"Jonathan" wrote in message
Gary Drescher wrote:

So you, too, believe the US was a free country until 1864, but not after?

Define "free country" and what makes a country "free" or not.

It's obviously an overall judgment that weighs many different factors. The
point is that in Matt's surreal opinion, having a legally imposed
institution of slavery is not a significant enough violation of inalienable
rights to disqualify a country from being free. Moreover, the nation's
freedom, in Matt's opinion, decreased precipitously at around the time of
the Civil War--to the point that, on the whole, he judges the US to have
been a free country before then, but not after. Such are Matt's values.

--Gary

Old June 4th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Recently, Matt Barrow posted:

"Neil Gould" wrote in message
Recently, Jim Macklin posted:

Importation of slaves was illegal in the USA after 1807, but
ownership was still legal. The South's economy was based on
hand labor agriculture, cotton. A lot of white people
fought and died to free the slaves. A lot of Southerners
fought and died to preserve their life-style. Both were
honorable.

So, you believe it is honorable to fight and die to preserve the
ability to own people as property?

Gee...isn't hindsight beautiful? Wanna bet a months pay which side
you'd have been on IN REAL TIME? Bet that145 years ago, you'd been
"Massa".

As a matter of historical fact, my ancestors were not "Massa" as far back
as the early 1700s, which is about as far back as I've been able to trace
them.

We can make arrangements for you to send your month's pay to me later.

Neil

Old June 4th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I just had to get it off my chest.

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
| newswCgg.26386$ZW3.16305@dukeread04...
| You're so full of crap, YOU make assumptions and condemn
| others without anything but your opinion and guilt. FO.
|
| He's been listening to Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and
Major Owens,
| birds-of-a-feather with GD in the middle of the moonbat
nest.

Old June 4th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I never mention any such thing.

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
| I stated that freedom was lost in 1968.
|
| Yes, my post was in reply to Matt, who said the US ceased
to be a free
| country in 1864. (Similarly, the Civil War was the
earliest event Steven
| listed when asked to explain his remark that the US had
ceased to be a free
| country.)
|
| Also, I was not
| defending any "right-wing extremist" position. I did
| recount the interview and the answer that the author
made, I
| was not characterizing his answer to a question,
|
| You cited his extremist position (as you remembered it) in
support of an
| argument against reparations, and you cited it without any
expressed
| reservations. That context makes it an "approving
citation", as that term is
| ordinarily used. (But yes, merely arguing against
reparations is by no means

Old June 4th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

People were killed in "Bloody Kansas" for lots or reasons
that make little sense today.

wrote in message
ups.com...

| Matt Barrow wrote:
| "Neil Gould" wrote in message
| om...
| Recently, Jim Macklin
posted:

| Importation of slaves was illegal in the USA after
1807, but
| ownership was still legal. The South's economy was
based on
| hand labor agriculture, cotton. A lot of white
people
| fought and died to free the slaves. A lot of
Southerners
| fought and died to preserve their life-style. Both
were
| honorable.
|
| The petitions issued from the south prior to 1861 all
regarded TARIFFS that
| were deliberatley put in place to favor the industrial
north.

| Nobody killed anyone in bloody Kansas over tariffs.
|
| How about petitions issued from the North, calling for the
aboltion
| of slavery?
|
| Do you think any southern politician would have agreed to
a compromise
| abolishing both? Pretty much every abolitionist would
have jumped
| at that opportunity.
|

| So, you believe it is honorable to fight and die to
preserve the ability
| to own people as property?
|
| Gee...isn't hindsight beautiful? Wanna bet a months pay
which side you'd
| have been on IN REAL TIME? Bet that145 years ago, you'd
been "Massa".

| Dunno about him, but 145 years ago my great-great
gandfather, an
| Irish immigrant, enlisted with the Ohio 41st volunteer
infantry.

Old June 4th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Do you have the transcript? I don't, but I remember what I
heard. I have not read the book, what I heard was in an
interview on C-SPAN.

wrote in message
oups.com...

| Jim Macklin wrote:
| I stated that freedom was lost in 1968. Also, I was not
| defending any "right-wing extremist" position. I did
| recount the interview and the answer that the author
made, I
| was not characterizing his answer to a question, The
| author, Keith Richburg said he was thankful his
ancestors
| had been brought to this country so he never had to live
in
| Africa. I would say that "brought to" is slavery.
|
| I'm sure that if I had the money and time to waste, I
could

Old June 4th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I never mention any such thing.

Any such thing as what?

--Gary

Old June 4th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Recently, Jim Macklin posted:

I said the people who fought on both sides of the Civil War
were honorable people.

You've also said that slavery was wrong. How can one be "honorable" if one
is fighting to preserve something that is wrong?

I've never been a "redneck with a Confederate flag" on my
car. I do not have any desire to own slaves, but I don't
have any false ideas about why slavery existed either.

I didn't accuse you of being a redneck, etc... I'm just curious about how
you're framing your notions of honor and equating real slavery to a lack
of vision about one's options, as in the example you gave about low wage
earners in company towns.

Neil

Old June 4th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jim Macklin" wrote:
The UN and the Muslim religion support slavery.

While Islam appears to at least tolerate slavery, the United Nations
technically does not support slavery:

"Adopted and proclaimed by General Assembly resolution 217 A (III) of 10
December 1948
Article 4.
No one shall be held in slavery or servitude; slavery and the slave trade
shall be prohibited in all their forms.
...."
http://www.un.org/Overview/rights.html

The UN has of course been somewhat impotent in doing much about slavery,
but it has been impotent in addressing many other matters also. Hard to see
how impotence becomes "support". My local police are impotent against lots
of robberies - I'd hardly translate that impotence into a statement
claiming the police support robbery.

For other material from the UN that indicates it at least tracks and
understands the extent of slavery, see also:
http://www.un.org/depts/dhl/slavery/index.html
Old June 4th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jonathan wrote:
Gary Drescher wrote:

So you, too, believe the US was a free country until 1864, but not
after?

Define "free country" and what makes a country "free" or not.

A fee country is one where you have to pay for everything.
That'll be $10 please.