Mooney M20 K on Grass ?

Old August 18th 04, 04:18 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On 17 Aug 2004 11:18:17 -0700, (Robert M. Gary) wrote:

Ron Rosenfeld wrote in message . ..
On 15 Aug 2004 11:08:58 -0700,
(Robert M. Gary) wrote:
I'm interested in your landing on gravel and beach experiences. We've got
a temporary gravel taxiway in place here in EPM (while the main taxiway is
being reconstructed), and I've been unwilling to even taxi on it for fear
of picking up the stones with the prop. Could you tell me more about those
surfaces you've been on?

The beach was Alphonsinas in Baja. The beach is actually quite hard
and as long as you avoid the pot holes left by the trucks driving on
it, its almost like landing on a hard surface. I use a technique for
softfield in the case of the beach or gravel. I choose the best spot
for the mains when I do my low pass. On short final I trim the trim
all the way back and push forward on the yoke to hold attitude (the
Mooney is unusual in that back trim actually increases the available
back elevator authority). Once the mains hit (with the nose very high)
I add in some power and can hold the plane on the mains with the nose
very high. Once I find where I want the nose to be, I chop the power.

For takeoff, I do similar. I run the trim all the way back (or 3/4 if
back pax). Hold full back elevator. The nose will pop up pretty quick
on the take off roll (most people have never seen a Mooney's nose pop
up before ). You must be comfortable driving around on only the
mains because the plane isn't anywhere near flying speed. The goal is
to keep the prop as high as possible. I always practice soft field
techniques before going down to Mexico. Most Mooney pilots just land
normal so I'm not sure the condition of their props and gear in
Mexico.

-Robert

Oops. Forgot to thank you for posting that.

--ron

Mooney drops into my backyard Dave Butler Owning 41 May 11th 04 10:19 PM
10 1/2 Acres Hill Top, 8 miles from Mooney - airport, Kerrville, Texas David Aviation Marketplace 0 March 17th 04 12:44 AM
Mooney info eddie Owning 13 March 12th 04 06:42 PM
Mooney to Offer Light Sport Airplane Rick Pellicciotti Home Built 4 September 24th 03 01:08 PM
Cirrus vs Mooney Charles Talleyrand Owning 6 July 8th 03 11:35 PM