Queen ELizabeth

Old May 11th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.disasters.aviation,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip

Default Queen ELizabeth

On May 10, 8:40 pm, "Julian Scarfe" wrote:
"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message

The Queen apparently doesn't have any overseas-capable aircraft, so they
charter
something when necessary,

It's long-haul capability that the BAe146s of the Queen's Flight lack. I
believe they are used around Europe.

Not any more. She stopped using it since the engine oil fumes issue
was raised concerning that aircraft some time ago.
Still good enough for the great unwashed, though. And prolly Fergy.

Bertie

Old May 11th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.disasters.aviation,alt.usenet.kooks
John Mazor[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in
message
ps.com...
On May 9, 7:28 pm, "Vic Baron"
wrote:
Someone asked me a question and I can find no info on
Google, etc -

When Queen Elizabeth flies - does she have an unique
aircraft similar to Air
Force One?

I think I have a pic of her somwhere, now let's see..

Bertie

PHF (Patrick Henry Field) now goes by the clunky title of
Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport (thanks to
the local idiots with their Chamber of Commerce mentality).
According to local lore, in 1976 it was plain old Patrick
Henry Airport until the Queen flew into there for the
Bicentennial pomp and ceremony similar to what we just saw.
The local boys said "Hey, she's flying in from out of
country! Which means that now we can legitimately rename it
Patrick Henry International Airport!" That may have been
the only international flight there, at least until more
recent years.

There apparently is no truth to the rumor that the Chamber
of Commerce tried to erect a sign reading "Queen Elizabeth
once landed here." I think she landed in Richmond this
time, so who knows what the local boosters there will try to
turn that into.

Old May 11th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.disasters.aviation,alt.usenet.kooks
ManhattanMan

John Mazor wrote:

PHF (Patrick Henry Field) now goes by the clunky title of
Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport (thanks to
the local idiots with their Chamber of Commerce mentality).
According to local lore, in 1976 it was plain old Patrick
Henry Airport until the Queen flew into there for the
Bicentennial pomp and ceremony similar to what we just saw.
The local boys said "Hey, she's flying in from out of
country! Which means that now we can legitimately rename it
Patrick Henry International Airport!" That may have been
the only international flight there, at least until more
recent years.

LOL - reminds me of many decades back when they moved from the old Kansas
City downtown airport, to the brand spanking new KCI - Kansas City
International. Someone started raising a stink saying it couldn't be named
"International" since none of the carriers were flying to/from international
destinations from there. It was pointed out that we had something like one
flight a week from Mexico, and I believe customs consisted of one room over
at the air cargo building. Later even that was discontinued.. d:-))

Old May 11th 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.disasters.aviation,alt.usenet.kooks
Chris

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
ps.com...
On May 9, 7:28 pm, "Vic Baron" wrote:
Someone asked me a question and I can find no info on Google, etc -

When Queen Elizabeth flies - does she have an unique aircraft similar to
Air
Force One?

No she flies on regular aircraft, usually British Airways.

Old May 12th 07, 09:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

"Chris" wrote in
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
ps.com...
On May 9, 7:28 pm, "Vic Baron" wrote:
Someone asked me a question and I can find no info on Google, etc -

When Queen Elizabeth flies - does she have an unique aircraft
similar to Air
Force One?

No she flies on regular aircraft, usually British Airways.

Not always, only when the pukey little british airplanes they used to
fly in (but not now because of oil fumes) couldn't handle the range.
Like whne they need to fly furhter than Belgium, for instance.
They also use a RAF Herc for when one of them wants to be seen to be
concerned about the third world.
Charlie somewhat famously put a Cockroach (Bae146) off the runway a few
years ago when the crew let him land it.

Oh, and they also won't fly on BritishAirways B757s because of the oil
pouring out of the crappy Rolls Royce engines on them . They never
could build an engine that would hold oil.

Bertie