reversed polarity to Dittel issue

Old April 15th 10, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sam Zimmerman

Default reversed polarity to Dittel issue

I inadvertently powered up with battery reversed polarity. Seems all
instruments except Dittel FSG 2T survived. Anyone have experience with this?
US repair station?? SZ

Old April 15th 10, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nic

On Apr 15, 7:45*am, "Sam Zimmerman" wrote:
I inadvertently powered up with battery reversed polarity. Seems all
instruments except Dittel FSG 2T survived. Anyone have experience with this?
US repair station?? *SZ

I did the same thing on the LS-4 I sold to you years ago. There was a
fuse in the Dittel radio that saved it. The repairman changed the fuse
and all was ok.

Ed Gaddy
Old April 15th 10, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Erik Braun

The repairman changed the fuse and all was ok.

Some radios have a thermal fuse on the side. It just has to be pushed
and the radio works again. At least some Becker types have this.

Regards, Erik.
Old April 15th 10, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

The MicroAire radios have an internal "pico" fuse that protects the
unit from reversed power. Ask me how I know ;-) Maybe the Becker has
the same thing.

A pico fuse is about the side of a 1/8w resistor (grain of rice) and
is soldered inside the unit. It is not considered user repairable/
replaceable. While I have been able to replace the fuse, it isn't a
task for the uninitiated without a good small wattage, small grounded
tip, soldering iron. Too much heat and you can lift a trace or scorch
the board. Too big of a soldering iron tip and you might unsolder
more than you intend. A bit of a static spark and the device goes
poof. Sorry to scare anyone but you don't want to toast a very nice
radio.
Old April 15th 10, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Apr 15, 5:14*pm, ContestID67 wrote:
The MicroAire radios have an internal "pico" fuse that protects the
unit from reversed power. *Ask me how I know ;-) *Maybe the Becker has
the same thing.

A pico fuse is about the side of a 1/8w resistor (grain of rice) and
is soldered inside the unit. *It is not considered user repairable/
replaceable. *While I have been able to replace the fuse, it isn't a
task for the uninitiated without a good small wattage, small grounded
tip, soldering iron. *Too much heat and you can lift a trace or scorch
the board. *Too big of a soldering iron tip and you might unsolder
more than you intend. *A bit of a static spark and the device goes
poof. *Sorry to scare anyone but you don't want to toast a very nice
radio.

One time I saw a 1943 Buzzard-Master - someone hooked up
the battery backwards and there was a giant flash from
under the panel ! Maybe look under the panel for one of them
old-style screw fuses and put a penny in there ?
Old April 16th 10, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Apr 15, 7:45*am, "Sam Zimmerman" wrote:
I inadvertently powered up with battery reversed polarity. Seems all
instruments except Dittel FSG 2T survived. Anyone have experience with this?
US repair station?? *SZ

Dittel manual says it has an auto-reset fuse.
See: http://www.wingsandwheels.com/FSG2T%...n%20manual.pdf
Appendix A3

How long did you wait before you tried it again ?
Its a thermal device which has to cool after being abused.

On the bright side, it will be nice and quiet in the cockpit...

Have fun in Perry,
Best Regards, Dave

Dittel FSG 50 in Dittel base station [email protected] Soaring 2 February 18th 09 09:15 AM
Dittel FSG 50 in Dittel base station, Perfect for crews and FBO [email protected] Soaring 1 February 18th 09 09:15 AM
Arlington Fly-In Lawsuit Reversed Ron Wanttaja Home Built 8 October 17th 08 03:04 PM
reversed towbar Jose Piloting 2 January 6th 06 02:49 AM
Reversed ADF indications DP Piloting 12 November 10th 03 03:01 AM