Filling oxygen tanks

Old December 25th 04, 01:46 AM
Matt Whiting

Matt Barrow wrote:
"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

Blanche Cohen wrote:

Another approach is to have your physician write you an RX then take
it to either a medical supply house or ambulance company, which
ever will take the RX.

Only if you really want to see hassles of price and paperwork.

The local medical oxygen place for us IS also the welding and
ABO outlet.

Considering the process for making it (O) is the same, why would the
manufacturers establish different facilities for something that is 100% the
same product?

So they can charge more for some of the product.

Matt

Old December 25th 04, 02:48 AM

Blanche Cohen wrote:

Another approach is to have your physician write you an RX then take
it to either a medical supply house or ambulance company, which
ever will take the RX.

Only if you really want to see hassles of price and paperwork.

The local medical oxygen place for us IS also the welding and
ABO outlet.

Considering the process for making it (O) is the same, why would the
manufacturers establish different facilities for something that is 100% the
same product?

So they can charge more for some of the product.

Ummm, no.

Manufacturers generally don't establish separate facilities for 100%
identical products, especially for bulk products like oxygen, and
definitly not for a tiny market like aviation oxygen.

Distributors however quite often do, along with different paper trails
to satisfy various governmental mandates.

For non-bulk items, e.g. vacuum hose for cars versus airplanes, a manufacture
will often set up separate testing and marking lines, again to satisfy
various governmental mandates.

The total amount of aviation oxygen sold in the US in a year probably
wouldn't keep one small plant busy until lunch time; the manufactureres
could care less.

Look to your government, here to help and protect you with briefcase in
hand, if you are looking for someone to blame.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.
Old December 25th 04, 03:33 AM
Matt Barrow

Blanche Cohen wrote:

Another approach is to have your physician write you an RX then take
it to either a medical supply house or ambulance company, which
ever will take the RX.

Only if you really want to see hassles of price and paperwork.

The local medical oxygen place for us IS also the welding and
ABO outlet.

Considering the process for making it (O) is the same, why would the
manufacturers establish different facilities for something that is 100%

the
same product?

So they can charge more for some of the product.

But it's not the dealers that are differentiating in this case.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old December 25th 04, 12:35 PM
Matt Whiting

Matt Barrow wrote:

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
.com...

Blanche Cohen wrote:

Another approach is to have your physician write you an RX then take
it to either a medical supply house or ambulance company, which
ever will take the RX.

Only if you really want to see hassles of price and paperwork.

The local medical oxygen place for us IS also the welding and
ABO outlet.

Considering the process for making it (O) is the same, why would the
manufacturers establish different facilities for something that is 100%

the

same product?

So they can charge more for some of the product.

But it's not the dealers that are differentiating in this case.

No kidding. The poster said manufacturer's and that is what I was
referring to. Anyone who thinks this doesn't happen, hasn't a clue
about marketing. Basically the same product is sold to different
markets at different prices all the time. This isn't a new trick.

Matt

Old December 25th 04, 02:15 PM
Denny

I have not noticed a reference to Deakins article on this in AVWEB...
Look at:

http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182079-1.html

Denny

Old December 26th 04, 03:03 AM
Blanche

Roger wrote:
[snip the ACs]
That might have been true 20 or 30 years ago, but I think the change
in the way it's produced was farther back than that.

True, but has the FAA gotten the word yet?

Old December 26th 04, 04:39 AM

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 19:28:55 GMT, Bruce McFadden
wrote:

snip

Is this about right fur filling an O2 tank. I've heard that it is OK to
have the tank filled at other places such as with medical O2 or welding
O2. Is that OK?

snip

Looks like you've gotten pretty much the full range of replies, but
I'll throw mine in-it's worth just what you paid for it.

My understanding, from talking to people familiar with the gas
business, is that there is indeed zero difference in the raw O2
dispensed.

They also tell me that bulk medical tanks are "purged" once,
inspected, and filled. ABO tanks are "purged" twice, inspected, and
filled. Welding tanks are given a quick conformity inspection and
filled.

While it is the same product, obtained from the same process, welding
O2 quality/contamination is not monitored to the same extent as ABO or
medical O2. This does not mean that welding oxygen will be
contaminated, it just means that the other types have passed slightly
more than a rudimentary inspection.

With regard to the cost of your tank fill, hopefully the person doing
the filling has received at least a little training, is earning a
decent wage, and is using clean, quality equipment.

We useta charge $35.00 to $50.00 for an official ABO fill, and if
there was any profit margin, it wasn't much. It was primarily offered
as a service to customers that needed it.

TC

Old December 26th 04, 06:04 AM
zatatime

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 05:23:12 GMT, "G.R. Patterson III"

They also tell me that bulk medical tanks are "purged" once,
inspected, and filled. ABO tanks are "purged" twice, inspected, and
filled. Welding tanks are given a quick conformity inspection and
filled.

Where and how often? What I mean is this. I go down to a shop in Piscataway to
get my welding bottles filled. They exchange bottles there, so I actually just
pick up a new bottle. Is the "bulk bottle" the one they give to me, is it a
storage container they keep, or is it even further up the supply chain?

I'm not sure how big your supply company is, but I can tell you what
happens with mine.

When I drop off a tank, I get a new one that has been inspected and
filled at the welding supply company. Smaller wedling shops get
shipments of tanks pre-filled from the larger ones.

I think this is what you were asking. Hope it helped. I'd never get
an aircraft oxygen tank filled at a welding supply shop.