Pilot's Political Orientation

Old June 22nd 04, 05:25 PM
Teacherjh

Only to your posts.

I've observed responses of yours to other's posts that were just as stupid
as your responses to mine.

I guess I've learned well from you.

Jose

Old June 22nd 04, 05:45 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Teacherjh" wrote in message

I guess I've learned well from you.

Unfortunately, it appears you haven't learned anything at all.

Old June 22nd 04, 08:13 PM
Teacherjh

Unfortunately, it appears you haven't learned anything at all.

Next to a master like you, my abilities are less than a faint candle.

Seriously - you respond in a very minimalist style - the absolute least you can
say that states your point or makes your challenge. Though I've learned stuff
from you, you do not post nearly enough supporting material to make the
correctness of your points clear (when they are correct). Since you do the
same when your points are matters of opinion, or are (gasp!) wrong, it becomes
an excercise in frustration to have a discussion that goes beyond mere
acceptance of the pearls of wisdom dropping from your ruby red lips.

So while "reading carefully" sometimes reveals gems, more often it does not,
and the putative bandwidth economy thus practiced leads to the expenditure of
many more ones and zeros than should be warranted.

We're running out of ones. (zeros are still in great supply). Sometimes
minimalism doesn't achieve the presumed goal.

Jose

Old June 23rd 04, 01:46 AM
Richard Hertz

"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message
. net...

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message
news

Your misconceptions are astounding.

That being said, the death penalty doesn't seem to be a very effective
deterrent anyhow.

It's deterred everyone that's received it.

So is life without parole.

So I get to pay to keep people in food, shelter and entertainment for doing
bad things? No thanks.

It warmed my heart when I moved to the south a few years back to see convict
road crews doing work. Now, maybe it costs us more to pay the guards to
watch them and for insurance, etc, but at least we get something out of it.

Old June 23rd 04, 04:37 AM
Peter Gottlieb

"Richard Hertz" wrote in message
.net...

So I get to pay to keep people in food, shelter and entertainment for

doing
bad things? No thanks.

Hey, I don't like it either, but that's a separate issue from the deterrent
effect of different types of punishment.

Old June 23rd 04, 02:21 PM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 00:46:36 GMT, "Richard Hertz"
wrote:

It warmed my heart when I moved to the south a few years back to see convict
road crews doing work. Now, maybe it costs us more to pay the guards to
watch them and for insurance, etc, but at least we get something out of it.

My two ¢:

Convict laborers displace regular workers. A far better solution
would be to teach them the meaning of the word 'restitution.' That
way they truly pay for their crimes, and their victims are
compensated.

But the prison systems have become cash cows for private enterprise.
Prison operating contractors have no financial incentive to
rehabilitate inmates. Quite the opposite, there is incentive to
create more inmates, so that more prisons will be built and
Wackinhut's business will increase. Corporate self interest is at the
root of many of society's ills.

Old June 23rd 04, 02:40 PM
Teacherjh

Convict laborers displace regular workers.

Regular workers displace other regular workers.

A far better solution
would be to teach them the meaning of the word 'restitution.' That
way they truly pay for their crimes, and their victims are
compensated.

Assuming you mean with money, where do they get this money? If they work for
it, that displaces other workers. If they don't work for it, this uses up
paper and green ink.

Jose

Old June 23rd 04, 06:36 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Richard Hertz wrote:

So I get to pay to keep people in food, shelter and entertainment for doing
bad things? No thanks.

I just look at it as a bribe I pay the State to keep these people away from me.

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
Old June 24th 04, 02:02 AM
Richard Hertz

wrote:

[...]

Um, no. Self-interest of humans is the root of many ills. Particularly
from criminals. if corporations behave in illegal manners, they are
punished, so too should criminals be punished. Blaming "corporations" for
the failing of people is a cop out.