Durango, CO

Old May 20th 18, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Durango, CO

Is the glider port still active in Durango Colorado? Asking for someone traveling through there next month who wants to get a ride
Old May 20th 18, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

How about you, or your friend, checking on SSA.org?
Old May 20th 18, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

On Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 10:46:15 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Is the glider port still active in Durango Colorado? Asking for someone traveling through there next month who wants to get a ride

Closed.
Old May 20th 18, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 12:44:22 PM UTC-6, SoaringXCellence wrote:
On Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 10:46:15 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Is the glider port still active in Durango Colorado? Asking for someone traveling through there next month who wants to get a ride

Closed.

Another option for a ride, depending on the direction one is traveling, is Sundance Aviation at Moriarty, NM (if one is coming from the south or southeast). One more option that is near Denver is Mile High Gliding at the Boulder airport (if the person is traveling from the east or in from the Denver airport)…..Good luck!
Thanks - Renny
Old May 20th 18, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 1:46:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Is the glider port still active in Durango Colorado? Asking for someone traveling through there next month who wants to get a ride

Drove by the field in Durango last summer on my way from Moriarty, NM to Montrose, CO. Almost broke my heart to see that field and runway all grown over. The long shed where the trailers and gliders were parked is still there. Good memories, though ....

Uli
'AS'
Old May 21st 18, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Checking the SSA site will also show other listed sites in the area. So if the requested site is not available, you may find another close by with contact info, dates and times, equipment list, etc.
Seeing as SSA membership dues pays for that info, why not use it?

Sorry if you thought my first reply was arrogant, not my intention.
Old May 21st 18, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Link to the SSA map.....http://www.ssa.org/WhereToFlyMap.asp
Old May 21st 18, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 4:33:52 PM UTC-6, AS wrote:
On Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 1:46:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Is the glider port still active in Durango Colorado? Asking for someone traveling through there next month who wants to get a ride

Drove by the field in Durango last summer on my way from Moriarty, NM to Montrose, CO. Almost broke my heart to see that field and runway all grown over. The long shed where the trailers and gliders were parked is still there. Good memories, though ....

Uli
'AS'

Talked with a former ride/tow pilot from there Saturday. It was for sale for some time. Owner refused offer, finally parted out the operation for what turned out to be essentially the offered amount. Local woman bought the property and turned it into a conservation easement so it will never be used again for other purposes. Surprised that the shed remained.

The former owner passed away in 2015.

Frank Whiteley
Old May 21st 18, 01:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Drove by the field in Durango last summer on my way from Moriarty, NM to Montrose, CO. Almost broke my heart to see that field and runway all grown over. The long shed where the trailers and gliders were parked is still there. Good memories, though ....

Uli
'AS'

Talked with a former ride/tow pilot from there Saturday. It was for sale for some time. Owner refused offer, finally parted out the operation for what turned out to be essentially the offered amount. Local woman bought the property and turned it into a conservation easement so it will never be used again for other purposes. Surprised that the shed remained.

The former owner passed away in 2015.

Frank Whiteley

Hi Frank,

if you go to 'Street-View' on Google Earth and look up the old address of the Durango Glider Club, it actually still shows the full operation with gliders, tow plane, trailers etc. The red-roofed shed is still showing up on the normal satellite image.
I flew my Libelle out of there in the mid '90s while on a soaring vacation/safari through CO. Sad to see this place being closed forever ...

Uli
'AS'
Old May 21st 18, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 8:23:47 PM UTC-6, Frank Whiteley wrote:
[...]

Indeed, it is now a prairie dog refuge, so when you drive by on US 550 you will see prairie dogs sticking their heads out and your will see the dirt piled up around their burrows on what was once a very nice grass runway. I am sure the prairie dogs are happy, but for a glider pilot who once flew there, it is really sad to see......Renny