Best Soaring Simulator??

Old October 3rd 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
subpilot

Default Best Soaring Simulator??

Which of these are best for simulated landings and patterns?

Bob

Old October 3rd 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

"subpilot" wrote in message
ups.com...

Which of these are best for simulated landings and patterns?

Bob

Good question. I'd like to see a sim dedicated to basic training.

That said, Condor does a pretty good job. The "flight school" section sets
the glider up in a downwind and the POV control lets the sim pilot look
sideways at his aim point. If you just want to practice flair and
touchdown, use the winch launch and just release at about 50' AGL. The
downside of Condor is that the reset for another flight takes way too long.

Bill Daniels

Old October 3rd 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn[_2_]

Bill Daniels wrote:
"subpilot" wrote in message
ups.com...

Which of these are best for simulated landings and patterns?

Bob

Good question. I'd like to see a sim dedicated to basic training.

That said, Condor does a pretty good job. The "flight school" section sets
the glider up in a downwind and the POV control lets the sim pilot look
sideways at his aim point. If you just want to practice flair and
touchdown, use the winch launch and just release at about 50' AGL. The
downside of Condor is that the reset for another flight takes way too long.

Bill, do they make you unstrap, clear the runway, wait in the queue,
re-run the checklist, and hook-up?
Maybe it's just slow because it's on WinDoze. ;-)

Shawn (Just jealous because he hasn't bought an Intel Mac yet.)
Old October 4th 06, 06:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Greef

subpilot wrote:
Which of these are best for simulated landings and patterns?

Bob

SFS-PC is designed for this kind of flying.
Old October 4th 06, 08:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Surgeon

Bruce Greef wrote:

subpilot wrote:
Which of these are best for simulated landings and patterns?

Bob

SFS-PC is designed for this kind of flying.

Agreed, for circuit training SFS-PC is still the best.
It has far better airfield/circuit traffic modeling than any of the other
soaring sims I've used.

Condor and Silent Wings both require a restart after a landing although with
Silent Wings it's *really* fast (about 5 seconds on my old Athlon 1.6GHz).
Just hit Escape and R (restart) and you're lined up for another winch or
aerotow.

Paul

Old October 4th 06, 09:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stefan

Bruce Greef schrieb:

Which of these are best for simulated landings and patterns?

SFS-PC is designed for this kind of flying.

Does it also simulate the push back of the glider?
Old October 4th 06, 10:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Hoffman

Bruce Greef wrote:
subpilot wrote:
Which of these are best for simulated landings and patterns?

Bob

SFS-PC is designed for this kind of flying.

After having bought one, I would now say that TrackIR use is highly
recommended. This allows you to naturally "swivel your head" to keep
an eye on things as you fly or land. This develops the proper physical
reflexes, as opposed to manipulating a rocker switch with one's thumb.
I've checked and I'm sure my glider doesn't have a rocker switch. ;-)

Condor supports TrackIR. Does SFS-PC?

Regards,

-Doug

Old October 5th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Bruce Greef" wrote in message
subpilot wrote:
Which of these are best for simulated landings and patterns?

Bob

SFS-PC is designed for this kind of flying.

SFS stands for...???

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old October 5th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Verhulst

SFS-PC is designed for this kind of flying.

SFS stands for...???

Soaring Flight Simulator. "sfs-pc" = 49,900 Google hits.

Tony V.
http://home.comcast.net/~verhulst/SOARING
Old October 5th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

..
"Tony Verhulst" wrote in message
. ..

SFS-PC is designed for this kind of flying.

SFS stands for...???

Soaring Flight Simulator. "sfs-pc" = 49,900 Google hits.

Tony V.
http://home.comcast.net/~verhulst/SOARING

Doooh!!!!!

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com
When immigration is outlawed, only outlaws will immigrate