Which Service?

Old October 28th 03, 03:00 AM
Built-to-Fly

Default Which Service?

Guys-
I have been using free and public access to newsgroup for about a
year or so, since attbi stopped providing the access. I got tired of
using these free and public access. They are completely unreliable.
So, I wanted to know what kind of access do you guys use, or recommend
one? I have a bunch of homebuilt questions because I am preparing to
make my dream become reality. But, first thing first: I need to secure
the access to you guys. So help me here? Any suggestion?
Toks
Old October 28th 03, 05:02 AM
Larry Smith

"Built-to-Fly" wrote in message
om...
Guys-
I have been using free and public access to newsgroup for about a
year or so, since attbi stopped providing the access. I got tired of
using these free and public access. They are completely unreliable.
So, I wanted to know what kind of access do you guys use, or recommend
one? I have a bunch of homebuilt questions because I am preparing to
make my dream become reality. But, first thing first: I need to secure
the access to you guys. So help me here? Any suggestion?
Toks

What are you building? There are Yahoo groups and Matronics Groups and
Topica Groups and ...

Old October 28th 03, 03:32 PM
Daniel

Built-to-Fly wrote ...
Guys-
I have been using free and public access to newsgroup for about a
year or so, since attbi stopped providing the access. I got tired of
using these free and public access. They are completely unreliable.
So, I wanted to know what kind of access do you guys use, or recommend
one? I have a bunch of homebuilt questions because I am preparing to
make my dream become reality. But, first thing first: I need to secure
the access to you guys. So help me here? Any suggestion?
Toks

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...tion.homebuilt

Convenient, free, browser based simplicity & complete searchable
archives. No bells & whistles.

Daniel
Old October 28th 03, 03:49 PM
Ron Natalie

"Built-to-Fly" wrote in message om...
Guys-
I have been using free and public access to newsgroup for about a
year or so, since attbi stopped providing the access.

I have been using newshosting.com. I was using usenetserver.com but their
servers were having a melt down one day and they couldn't give me an estimate
of return to service so I bailed. The only people I can tell you to avoid is giganews.
One gigantic customer service nightmare.

Old October 28th 03, 04:13 PM
Dave Anderson

Toks, you may still have a news server. In my area, attbi service was taken
over by comcast. All I had to do was change the news server name to:
netnews.comcast.net

-Dave

Old October 28th 03, 04:59 PM
Barnyard BOb --

"Ron Natalie" wrote:

Guys-
I have been using free and public access to newsgroup for about a
year or so, since attbi stopped providing the access.

I have been using newshosting.com. I was using usenetserver.com but their
servers were having a melt down one day and they couldn't give me an estimate
of return to service so I bailed. The only people I can tell you to avoid is giganews.
One gigantic customer service nightmare.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hmmmm.
Dunno what you mean by customer service, but...

I've had GIGANEWS for about a year now.
Superbly satisfied with newsgroups... and binaries.

Speed, reliability, retention and completeness
have been impressive.

Barnyard BOb -- http://www.giganews.com/

Old October 28th 03, 05:02 PM
Ron Natalie

"Barnyard BOb --" wrote in message ...
= Dunno what you mean by customer service, but...

I've had GIGANEWS for about a year now.
Superbly satisfied with newsgroups... and binaries.

I mean that they have NON EXISTANT customer serivce when there is
a problem. They screwed up on my billing. My credit card company attempted
to contact them on the telephone number they give to their credit processor but
it has a recorded announcement saying to send email (which credit card security
folks are not up to doing). They have no way to reach support by telephone.
The email support is slow and surly.

Old October 28th 03, 11:02 PM
Corrie

What I like about Google's view of the news is the color-coded

Downside is that you have to have an ISP and web access, since it's
browser-based.

Corrie

Old October 29th 03, 01:16 AM
Cymen Vig

terra wrote:

Built-to-Fly wrote:

Guys-
I have been using free and public access to newsgroup for about a
year or so, since attbi stopped providing the access. I got tired of
using these free and public access. They are completely unreliable.
So, I wanted to know what kind of access do you guys use, or recommend
one? I have a bunch of homebuilt questions because I am preparing to
make my dream become reality. But, first thing first: I need to secure
the access to you guys. So help me here? Any suggestion?
Toks

I've been using these guys -- http://news.cis.dfn.de/ -- for a few
years. Always there, responsive, works well with Netscape7/Mozilla
newsreaders...

... no binary groups though.

Seconded -- I've been using them for a couple years too and I've had
problems accessing the server maybe once or twice. If you want binaries,
then by all means try someone else but even some of the for-pay usenet
services are not as good at text groups than the free cis.dfn people.