Replacing an ADF sense antenna

Old March 6th 05, 02:28 PM
David Reinhart

Default Replacing an ADF sense antenna

The sense antenna on our Cardinal broke right at the crimp connector
that attaches to the feedthrough insulator at the top front of the
airplane. This thing appears to be made of 18 gauge copperweld wire.
Since I still have the antenna and can pull measurements from it, is
there any reason I can't fabricate a replacement myself? Or does that
crimp connection have to be made with an aircraft-rated crimp tool?

Dave Reinhart

Old March 6th 05, 03:58 PM
RST Engineering

asbestos britches on

The problem right from the getgo is that the copperweld (which is steel wire
with a copper coating) broke where it was rigidly attached to a nonmoving
bolt. When the wire flexed in the breeze, this became the pivot point and
eventually work hardened and crystallized that point of the wire to failure.

Let's think of some ways to keep that from happening on the next antenna...

1. How about some wire that is a little more resistant to work hardening
than copper over steel?

2. How about some sort of a flex joint where the wire attaches to the
insulator?

3. How about some sort of strain relief at this point?

4. How about a noncrimp connection; the main stress on the crimp is where
the wire is already weakened by flattening inside the crimp.?

5. How about a spring mechanism to keep a relatively constant tension on
the wire?

I've got MY answers to these questions, but I'd like to hear from the rest
of the gang first.

asbestos britches off

Jim

Old March 6th 05, 04:37 PM
kage

Buy a KR-87 and dump the old garbage. No other ADF could possibly still be
worth keeping.

Friendly as always,
karl

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
[...]

Retractable Comm Antenna Ron Wanttaja Home Built 11 September 6th 04 06:59 PM
ELT antenna -- Pitts Al MacDonald Home Built 0 July 15th 04 03:27 PM
Ext antenna connection for handheld radio Ray Andraka Owning 7 March 5th 04 01:10 PM
comm's RX antenna acepilot Home Built 5 March 3rd 04 05:34 PM
LS-4 Transponder antenna location? Matt Herron Soaring 3 February 25th 04 03:45 PM