Question of Location...

Old March 8th 05, 06:41 PM
NW_PILOT

"Robbie S." wrote in message
I am a student pilot with about 60 hours starting out on x-country work
right now. I recently bought a C182 Skylane and decided to keep it at an
airport that is 18 NM from my training airport for the simple reason that
the monthly cost of the hanger rental was $155 cheaper. I asked my CFI to
let me know if I could use that aiport as the satellite airport so I could
fly solo from the satellite airport to my training airport, pick up my

CFI,
do my dual/solo training and then bring the 182 back to its home. My CFI
informed me that the regs require that I leave and come back to the

primary
training airport, so either I move my plane to his aiport or use one of

the
flight schools airplanes to do my trianing.

He also presented an option, that he would drive in his car to my C182's
airport, then I fly dual from there to the primary training aiport, drop

him
there and then do my x-country or other things, then pick him up again and
take him to my plane's airport, from where he would drive back to the
training airport...ad nauseum....

This whole scenario sounds absurd and illogical to me. I do have the

option
of switching flight schools to where my plane is located. I know a lot of
people in this forum have a very in-depth knowledge of the regs.... please
advise what would be the best course of action under this scenario.

Thank you.

...Robbie.

Robbie, ask your instructor to show you the fars, if he cannot and still
refuses to fly with you out of that airport dump him and go with someone
local will save you money & time in the long run.

When I did my private, all that was required for me to solo out of another
airport is my instructor to do a flight from 1 airport to the other land and
fly back and endorsed me for another airport. It dont have to be your
primarry instructor either I think it has to be within 25 NM. If I am wrong
someone please correct me thanks.

Old March 9th 05, 12:52 AM
Robert M. Gary

Your CFI can sign you off to fly back and forth between your airport
and his. You only need a solo sign off and a sign off for the repeated.
You DO NOT need cross country training because of the close proximity.
I'm not sure what your CFI is concerned with.

I teach out of a non-tower airport and always sign my soloed students
off for solo flight to a local controlled field 10 nm North. That way
they can practice going somewhere close and talking to the tower etc.
There is no reason for a solo'd student to not be able to make such
short trips by themselves.
-Robert, CFI

Old March 9th 05, 12:54 AM
Robert M. Gary

Sounds easy to me.

-Robert, CFI

Old March 9th 05, 12:55 AM
Robert M. Gary

I can't imagine what he may be concerned with. If you are flying your
own plane, what does the FBO have to do with it? Under part 61 you
don't need an FBO, just a CFI and a student (and airplane).

-Robert, CFI

Old March 9th 05, 02:40 AM
George Patterson

"Robbie S." wrote:

My CFI
informed me that the regs require that I leave and come back to the primary
training airport, so either I move my plane to his aiport or use one of the
flight schools airplanes to do my trianing.

Part 61.93 section (a) states that you have to abide by all the regs in that
section if you are making a solo flight from one airport to the other. There are
certain exceptions that are defined in part (b). Part 61.93(b)(2) states that
you may make repeated flights to and from another airport if it is within 50 nm
if your instructor has given you adequate training and signed you off for these
flights. This paragraph exempts you from the requirement that the isntructor
sign you off for each flight -- a single sign off will do. The section, in
conjunction with part 61.87, describes in detail what training must be given and
what the signoff consists of.

Here's a possible sticking point, however. Part 61.93(d) states that the
instructor must check your cross-country planning and review the weather and
verify that the flight can be completed VFR. Perhaps this poses a problem for
your CFI. Seems to me that, since the flight is the same every time, your
preflight planning need only be checked once. Also seems to me that he can check
the weather adequately from 20 miles away. Perhaps he does not agree.

George Patterson
I prefer Heaven for climate but Hell for company.
Old March 9th 05, 01:33 PM
Mike Spera

If that is in the regs, then my entire instrument training is invalid. I
had 5 different instructors at 3 different airports. More likely this is
the FBO owner trying to drive you to use his/her airplanes.

I do know that many insurance policies held by FBOs who do training end
up requiring the student/owner to pay an insurance surcharge to use
their own plane and the FBO's instructor. I remember it being about
$4-5/hr., but that was 11 years ago.

Tell the instructor to tell his/her boss that they have a choice. They
can get revenue from you to provide the instructor only, or they can get
nothing when you take your business to your "preferred" airport.

Good Luck,
Mike

Robbie S. wrote:
[...]

The Worlds Uncensored News Source