Hobbs Day 3 7-06 # 711 reporting

Old July 7th 04, 05:38 AM
TomnKeyLargo

Default Hobbs Day 3 7-06 # 711 reporting

Today was a struggle to get up to 4000 agl for the start. Thermals were choppie
and the lift in the Hobbs area was simply lousy. A MAT for all classes was
called with Jal the first turn, but that was changed to Seminole as the first
turn for all classes. Sports got a 2.5 hr time, Standard was 3 hrs. and 15
Meter was 2.5 hr. Sports lauched first followd by Standard then 15 Meter, First
launch was around 1:30 pm as I said it wasn't booming. Everybody hangs on and
no relights. Large gaggles go out on course. We have to glide to Seminole for
the clouds. As soon as we get thier, lift comes good, bases go to 11 thou, and
now we are havein fun. After Seminole as the first turn people part their ways.
GW runs hard and wins the day in 15 Meter. But Steve Lenoard flying his Zuni
does a great job and comes in 3rd. Hes heard saying" only if he had a 27". All
get home in all classes, and I believe that scores are getting posted on the
SSA web site. Tonight big storms surround Hobbs, and alot of folks are putting
back thier gliders in the boxes. 3 days down, so we have a contest, but 4 days
to go. The line ops is running smooth, with the average time the towplane says
on the ground is about 75 seconds. Fast turns. It was hot today, alot of
moisture in the air. After Seminole I ran straight to Andrews without turning,
but when I turned to head abck to Denver city, them clouds disappeared and
getting back up in choppie lift caused problems, not only for me but others,
Some said the thermals were one sided, one side strong up, the other was
sheared. We will see what tomorrow brings, but tonight we have a light show
going on outside.The green Alien is crusing the ramp tonight, where he ends up
" The Alien will be with them." Thermal tight, Soar high, Fly safe, # 711
reporting.
Old July 7th 04, 06:21 AM
Andy Blackburn

Sounds like Parowan was the better Region 9 bet this
year. There's nothing like being low over the oil derricks.

} -- thermal tight

9B

Old July 7th 04, 12:01 PM
BGMIFF

Andy
But Tom is not getting his pockets picked at Hobbs, I think you did!!!

Brian

Old July 7th 04, 02:00 PM
JJ Sinclair

Thanks for the daily updates, Tom. I get my sectional out and fly the task with
you each morning. Hope Hobbs gets those thunderstorms out of the system before
the Nats. Will be heading your way next Wednesday.
JJ Sinclair
Old July 7th 04, 06:05 PM
Andy Blackburn

I was in a giving mood on the last day. Once in the
air, then again on the ground!

}

9B

Old July 7th 04, 11:26 PM
Tom Serkowski

At 13:18 07 July 2004, Jj Sinclair wrote:Thanks for the daily updates, Tom. I get my sectional
out and fly the task withyou each morning.Some of the Hobbsitts are posting to the OLC, that

also helps with the situational awareness. Thanks,
guys!
Tom Serkowski
ASH-26E

To email me, place '@' after Tom, and append '.com'

Old July 8th 04, 05:10 PM
Andy Blackburn

I was just tickled that it took until the last day
to return order to the scoresheet. ;-)

But what an awesome place to fly Parowan is - 18k cloud
bases with 10+ knot thermals almost every day, beautiful
scenery, lots of landable fields...most places. Worth
going back to.

9B