Hobbs Day 6 7-9-04 # 711 reporting

Old July 10th 04, 04:50 AM
TomnKeyLargo

Default Hobbs Day 6 7-9-04 # 711 reporting

The weather, like it has been changing and changing. Today we grid again at
12:30. Pilots meeting at 12:45 at the front of the grid. Bob D. lands the
towplane after a climb to 8 thou msl. The pressure has increased a 1/2 inch and
thiers a big inversion. The task was set to a AST to Wink and then bacl to
Tatum. The wind is blowing about 15 or so from 165. A SSE wind, The CD and
advisors go back to the shack after a suggestion of a TAT to Tatum and then
Andrews with turn radius of 20 miles for the FAI Classes. They come back at
1:15 and announce the task as that one. with a 2 hr window. The sniffer is
launched and shortly after.1:55 the tows start. The Sports class is on a TAT
also with Lovington and then Seminole with 8 mile radius. The Winner for the
day is Z with a speed of 46 mph. The 1st pace winner for Sports Class is BAD,
W. Kaewert, in a Nimbus 2. In Standard Class, the daily winner is 927. The 1st
place winner for Standard Class is 927, G. Willat, Discus 2AX The 15 meter
daily winner is # 711 with a speed of 52.5 mph. The 1st pace winner for 15
Meter is ZL, Dave Lenoard, ASW 27. The leg from Hobbs to the turnpoint Tatum
for the FAI classes was pretty straight forward, climbs of 4 kts to 8500 msl.
But when you turned and headed to Andrews it was into the wind and took along
time which knocked down speeds. Tonight we had the awards and dinner party. Now
this was good, I mean really good. Alot of folks showed up and this is good for
our sport. The contest went well considering the weather, which was more like
Kanas as I was told by one Zuni driver. Never have we gone so long with so few
clouds in a contest at Hobbs. Now about that green alien. This is what has been
told to me from a source, he was last seen in a port=a =pottie on the truck
ramp, something about he was excited as he had found a tub of babe ruths, and
was installing a web cam to protect his pot of gold. So you all be careful as "
The green alien could be a snickering when your watering." Thermal tight, Soar
high, Fly safe. # 711 reporting.