another crash

Old September 4th 19, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default another crash

2G wrote on 9/3/2019 9:29 PM:
On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 8:10:53 PM UTC-7, Charlie Quebec wrote:
To be clear, I am refering only to the one piece DG canopy not the 2 piece. It’s clear in a nose first crash, the canopy would fly forwards, there is nowhere else for it to go, it’s not even in the picture of this crash.
I removed mine from my 200 after reading the crash report. I just use a feather pillow stuffed into the turtle deck area, works nicely.

A typical approach speed is 55 kt, or 63 mph. Does ANYBODY really think you can survive a frontal impact at that speed in a glider fuselage, which has minimal energy absorbing?

That depends very much on the definition of "frontal impact". A perpendicular
impact into a strong wall made of boulders would be much more serious than a 30
degree impact on dirt. What specifically did you have in mind?

Old September 5th 19, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

I didn’t provide a link because the video was taken down, but here it is from another angle retard boy.
Old September 5th 19, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Monday, September 2, 2019 at 8:51:31 PM UTC-7, John Foster wrote:
On Monday, September 2, 2019 at 9:00:49 PM UTC-6, Charlie Quebec wrote:
As I previously stated, the canopy mounted head rest would have hit the back of the pilots head with some force when the canopy departed during the crash.

And this could break the pilot's neck. Or, the sudden deceleration of the crash could tear the aorta off the root at the hear or some other location, causing a rapid internal hemorrhage. Or there could be whiplash from crash which could break the neck.

Looking at the picture in the news article the front portion of the fuselage seems "almost" intact and there is no sign of the canopy...hmmm?
I happen to own a DG300.. My headrest is factory installed, it is adjustable via a handle and honestly I could never really get it tight enough for it to stay in the same place too long although its not much of a problem. If I were to bump it hard enough it will just tilt back.
I very much doubt it to be the culprit and kill someone. However the absence of the Roger hook could be a culprit?
Old September 5th 19, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rudolph stutzmann

My DG 303 has the headrest attached to the backrest.
I certainly can see the force of impact and immediate deceleration sending the canopy forward and away from the rest of the cockpit. Another possibility for the canopy not being visible is rescue crews throwing it out of the way to allow easier access?? Doesn't rule in/out it causing injury, just possibly why it's not in immediate vicinity of cockpit??
Old September 6th 19, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

In the interest of disclosure, it should be noted that Nick Gilbert’s fathers business is the DG agent in Australia.
Old September 6th 19, 06:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If you enter spin low 20-50 meters you may survive if you don't stop rotation. I know one case like that, one turn of spin, inner wing softened the crash on plowed field, pilot broke both legs but survived (on Jantar Standard). The spin had dynamic entry in other direction then turn. Just keep extra speed and don't spin.
Old September 6th 19, 07:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Interesting, just got a call from an airworthiness official about removing the headrest. It appears some ****tard has dogged me in.
Typical of the pathetic pedantry of Gliding here in SA. Too many people with their heads up their own rear.
Old September 6th 19, 07:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

There’s some nasty little pedant out there who must be so proud of himself for his dobbing. Chicken **** *******
Old September 6th 19, 08:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

On the photos I could find on google, all the later DG singles have a seat back mounted headrest, at least the 300/600/800 I found.
100/200/400 are the only ones I can find with canopy mount. It appears DG themselves changed it.
It’s only common sense to see no good is going to come from the headrest in a canopy ejection scenario.
I do want to have a headrest I’m going to contact DG about fitting a later model seat back, might as well get something for the blackmail contract.
When I talked to my CFI just a couple of months ago he was quite insistent that having no headrest was better from a lookout point of view.

Old September 6th 19, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, August 31, 2019 at 10:49:31 PM UTC-4, Charlie Quebec wrote:
On DG with the one piece canopy, the head rest is mounted on the canopy, and one can imagine the effect of the canopy flying forward into the back of the pilots head, I removed mine from the canopy for exactly this reason after reading a previous accident report.

I have repaired a number of ships that have had hard nose down impacts. Not one of them had the canopy come off. The canopy frame, in all cases, stayed with the fuselage and broke in line with the other fuselage structural failures. The canopies broke away from the frame in many pieces. To get the pilot out one needs to get that frame, and the shards of canopy, out of the way.
FWIW
UH

ASG-29 Crash [email protected] Soaring 0 September 27th 16 03:59 PM
UPS 747-400 crash D Ramapriya Piloting 0 September 4th 10 04:04 AM
Anyone know anything about this crash? [email protected] Soaring 2 July 28th 08 01:44 PM
vampire or venom crash pic - wx904 crash.jpg (1/1) [email protected] Aviation Photos 4 January 1st 07 07:30 PM
vampire or venom crash pic - wx904 crash.jpg (0/1) [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 December 30th 06 05:57 PM