A&P signoff required to re-assemble 1-26?

Old July 11th 05, 04:11 PM

Default A&P signoff required to re-assemble 1-26?

Can anyone tell me what gliders can be asembled and
disassembled by the pilot and which ones have to have an A&P
approve the reassembly and make a logboofk entry? I'm being
told that gliders with automatically connecting control
surfaces and main pins without threads and nuts can be
assembled and disassembled by the pilot, but that 1-26's and
2-33's must have an A&P sign off the re-assembly since the
main pin has a nut that requires a specific torque, and the
controls have pins with safeties.

Can anyone point me to the FAR or Advisory Circular that
covers this issue? Thank!
Old July 11th 05, 05:03 PM
Brian

I Suspect this is more of an issue of what is not in the FAR's than
what is.

I don't think the FAR's specificially say that glider assembly
requires an A&P Sign off. It did at one time require an A&P or owner
sign off but I believe this has been removed.

Here is a portion of the SSA letter dated 1998 addressing this issue
from the SSA Members Web Page.

The FAA is amending Parts 43 and 61 to discontinue classifying glider
and balloon assembly as preventive maintenance, except in certain
circumstances; add training requirements for pilots in preflight
responsibilities of gliders and balloons; and add preflight assembly
and post assembly inspections to the preflight responsibilities for
glider and balloon pilots. The editorial versions to Part 91 are
intended to make the amendments to parts 43 and 61 consistent with the
maintenance record requirements of Part 91.

The primary objective of the final rule is to ensure continued
assignment of responsibilities for preflight assembly inspection of
gliders and balloons and at the same time reduce the record keeping
burden on the public.

The principal area of interest in the rule is the change affecting the
installation of glider wings and tail surfaces, specifically designed
for quick disassembly and assembly by pilots, and the installation of
balloon baskets and burners, specifically designed for quick removal by
the pilot. The deletion of these requirements from the list of items
classified as preventive maintenance would relieve glider and balloon
operators from the burden of complying with the recording requirements
of 43.9 for the preflight assembly of gliders and balloons. FAA records
of accidents and incidents indicate that improper assembly has not
played a significant role in glider or balloon accidents. In this
context, these amendments would not derogate safety and would not
impose costs. The FAA, therefore, finds that these amendments would
involve only unquantifiable benefits since glider and balloon operators
would no longer be required to make the maintenance record entries
specified in 43.9.

http://www.ssa.org/members/news/List...?Action=&id=15

I suppose it could be subjective as to what constitues a quick assembly
design. However I assembly my 1-26 in less than 15 minutes and did so
every time I flew. I doubt you see many log book entries at the 1-26
nationals either.

Brian

Old July 11th 05, 05:17 PM
jphoenix

The requirement for a maintenance record entry for assembling or
disassembling a glider was removed from the FAR's a few years ago. The
preamble text for the change (copied verbatim below by Brian) was
listed in the preambles for the part 43 change, I think around 1984 or
1986.

Bottom line, there is no requirement for a log entry when assembling or
disassembling glider wings, tips and tails.

Jim

Old July 13th 05, 06:15 AM
John H. Campbell

I'm being told that... 1-26's and 2-33's ...since the main pin has a nut
that requires a specific
torque...

Huh? Not only are nuts on 2-33 wingroot AN bolts not meant to be torqued
down against the fittings beyond finger-tight, they are optional--see the
POH. You may be thinking of the Krosno?

Old July 13th 05, 06:19 AM
John H. Campbell

I'm being told that... 1-26's and 2-33's ...since the main pin has a nut
that requires a specific
torque...

Huh? Not only are nuts on 2-33 wingroot AN bolts not meant to be torqued
down against the fittings beyond finger-tight, they are not mentioned in the
POH. May you may be thinking of the Krosno?

Old July 13th 05, 05:32 PM
Brian

Also of note that with my trailer I never removed the horiztonal
Stablizer.

So I only had to install the wings and aileron cables. 4 pins with a
nut finger tight and tighen a 1/4 turn with a wrench. 2 pins and
safety pins for the ailerons.

Brian