A wheel problem

Old September 2nd 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TJ Johnson \FN\

Default A wheel problem

I have a PIK20. The main tire was in need of a change, so I took the
wheel off today, took out the three bolts that hold the wheel halves
together, then spent over 2 hours trying to get the wheel halves to
separate.

I am stumped. Light tapping has proves that one wheel half will
rotate independently of the other, so that seem to rule out being
corroded together, but the two still won't come apart.

It is a pre-production PIK, serial number 2 and there weren't any
markings on the wheel that I could see to tell what kind it is.

Does anybody have any thoughts?

TJ Johnson
Old September 2nd 08, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZZ

TJ:

This procedure has worked for me. A word of warning: avoid separating
wheel halves when the valve is installed in the stem.

Re-install 3 bolts to hold the wheel halves together. Use a bolt length
of about one inch or more. Spin nuts on fully then back them off about a
1/4 inch. Remove the valve stem from the wheel. Air the tire SLIGHTLY.
The halves will likely separate. Once they separate, completely deflate
the tire before removing the nuts and bolts. NEVER remove those nuts
until the tire is completely deflated.

Paul
ZZ

Old September 2nd 08, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

TJ,

You say that the wheel halves will rotate relative to each other? If so,
Paul's approach may not help, as it is more for stuck together wheel
halves. Sounds like the tire has managed to adhere itself to the wheel.
You can probably get it all apart with a lot of prying. Try not to get
any sharp edges against the wheel. If necessary, sacrifice the tire and
tube (use a sharp knife, and cut away from the wheel). But, you should be
able to pry the tire off of the wheel, as this is where I think the
stickage is.

Was that PIK previously owned by Lloyd Hunter?

Steve Leonard
Wichita, KS

Old September 2nd 08, 07:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

You do not say whether or not you have managed to prise the tyre beads from
the hub itself.
If it is this that is causing the problem then it is possible to ease the
bead from the edge of the hub by compressing the tyre between two blocks
of wood in a vice.
Car tyre fitters have special large pincers that can do this as well.
If the tyre bead has seperated and the two halves are still fixed then it
is possible that there is a bush within the bearings and this is corroded
thus holding the two halves together while allowing them to rotate.
Unfortunately this can normally only be fixed by application of copious
amounts of lubricant and some carefull drifting with a metal or wooden rod
of the correct diameter.
Trust that this provides some possible answers

Old September 2nd 08, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TJ Johnson \FN\

Thank you everybody for the advice. I will try again after work today
and I really appreciate now having a a few things to try. I had
noticed that the bead was extremely tight when I was working with it,
and I had aired it down, but I didn't remove the valve stem core and
air it down all the way. I did also notice the bushing in between the
bearings was in there pretty good, but I really hope that isn't it, as
that really will be a monster to get out.

Anyway, I really do appreciate the advice. Thanks for helping me out!

Steve - Yep. This is Lloyd's PIK. I only have two flights on her so
far, but she is pure magic in the air!

TJ

Old September 4th 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TJ Johnson \FN\

It is done! In the end I had to cut the tire and tube off then drive
the wheel halves apart. The issue was corrosion in between the wheel
halves. I had gotten them to rotate very slightly by tapping with a
hammer and block, but not enough to get them loose enough to pull
apart. Interestingly, the old tire had a mold date of 72 and the old
tube was stamped January 73. I think it is very possible that this
PIK has never had a tire change.

All is right with the world again. Thank you everybody for the
advice!

TJ

Landing on one wheel Ol Shy & Bashful Piloting 23 March 19th 08 12:16 AM
THE WHEEL Grantland Military Aviation 0 August 5th 04 07:24 PM
Wheel pants for 6.00 x 6 wheel/tire Wallace Berry Home Built 2 January 23rd 04 04:22 AM
Joy stick or wheel? Wally Samuelson Simulators 9 November 5th 03 12:27 AM