Phonetic alphabet -- dixie instead of delta?

Old January 16th 05, 10:03 PM
Roy Smith

Default Phonetic alphabet -- dixie instead of delta?

The wikipedia article
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_phonetic_alphabet) on phonetic
alphabets says:

"At some United States airports, the use of Delta for the letter D is
avoided because it is also the callsign for Delta Air Lines. "Dixie"
seems to be the most common substitute."

The tower at HPN has been known to take liberties with the alphabet on
Thanksgiving Day ("Advise you have information Turkey"), but I've never
heard dixie. Is this really common usage?
Old January 16th 05, 11:32 PM
RST Engineering

I much prefer:

Aeon

Bdellium

Cereal

Djakarta

Euphoria

Futtock

Gnome

Hour

Ian

Jalepeño

Knee

Llama

Mnemonic

Ngami

Oedipus

Pneumonia

Quito

Roentgen

Sforzando

Tchaikovsky

Ursula

Veldt

Wretch

Xylophone

Yclept

Zloty

Jim

Old January 16th 05, 11:34 PM
Peter R.

RST Engineering ) wrote:

Zloty

Jim

There's a J after the Z in your alphabet.

--
Peter

Old January 17th 05, 06:51 AM
mindenpilot

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
The wikipedia article
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_phonetic_alphabet) on phonetic
alphabets says:

"At some United States airports, the use of Delta for the letter D is
avoided because it is also the callsign for Delta Air Lines. "Dixie"
seems to be the most common substitute."

The tower at HPN has been known to take liberties with the alphabet on
Thanksgiving Day ("Advise you have information Turkey"), but I've never
heard dixie. Is this really common usage?

I've heard both the aircraft and tower use this in Reno, but not often.

Old January 19th 05, 10:55 AM

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:51:03 -0800, "mindenpilot"
wrote:

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
The wikipedia article
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_phonetic_alphabet) on phonetic
alphabets says:

"At some United States airports, the use of Delta for the letter D is
avoided because it is also the callsign for Delta Air Lines. "Dixie"
seems to be the most common substitute."

The tower at HPN has been known to take liberties with the alphabet on
Thanksgiving Day ("Advise you have information Turkey"), but I've never
heard dixie. Is this really common usage?

I've heard both the aircraft and tower use this in Reno, but not often.

The use of the phonetic alphabet was designed to reduce the chance of
confusion when communications were poor. The use of more than one
syllable improves clarity and many amateur radio operators use other
words but they are all designed for clarity when trying to read a very
weak signal almost lost in noise -

I assume Reno communications are clear so I don't see a big problem
with the change if it avoids confusion.

Old January 29th 05, 01:49 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"RST Engineering" wrote in message

I much prefer:

Aeon

Are

Euphoria

Eye

Pneumonia

Phonics

Quito

Quay

Sforzando

Sea

Wretch

Why

Old February 7th 05, 04:09 PM
Capt. 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC

Roy Smith wrote:

The wikipedia article
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_phonetic_alphabet) on phonetic
alphabets says:

"At some United States airports, the use of Delta for the letter D is
avoided because it is also the callsign for Delta Air Lines. "Dixie"
seems to be the most common substitute."

The tower at HPN has been known to take liberties with the alphabet on
Thanksgiving Day ("Advise you have information Turkey"), but I've never
heard dixie. Is this really common usage?

Eastern pilots in ATL never used Delta for D... was usually "DOG". In Phoenix,
we use Information Cardinals(or Coyotes), DiamondBacks and Suns...

TJ
Old February 8th 05, 12:44 AM
vincent p. norris

Eastern pilots in ATL never used Delta for D... was usually "DOG".

"Dog" was the standard, official, word for the letter D in the
phonetic alphabet that preceded the present one. Able Baker Charlie
Dog Easy Fox......

That's the one anyone who entered aviation 50+ years ago learned.

vince norris
Old February 8th 05, 04:40 AM
Capt. 'Wild' Bill Kelso, USAAC

"vincent p. norris" wrote:

Eastern pilots in ATL never used Delta for D... was usually "DOG".

"Dog" was the standard, official, word for the letter D in the
phonetic alphabet that preceded the present one. Able Baker Charlie
Dog Easy Fox......

That's the one anyone who entered aviation 50+ years ago learned.

vince norris

Seems like most of the guys that entered aviation 50+ yrs ago are either pushing
walkers around, eating thru a straw.... or dead...

My name's Captain 'Wild' Bill Kelso, and dont you forget it