Pre Takeoff Checklists

Old March 26th 10, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

Default Pre Takeoff Checklists

On Mar 25, 6:55*pm, Barny wrote:
Some items are there to guarantee the flight is comfortable and hassle
free. About 1 in 10 flights I go back to get something from the car or
hanger after I'm gridded.
*****************
*Does that mean the checklist is NOT working for you? *I use a prepush
checklist and very seldom have to go back for anything. *I do need to
change the existing item "Task sheet" to "Read the task sheet!"
*though
* Andy (GY)
*****************
Going back for something that makes the flight more comfortable means
it's working great (at least for me). I suppose I could review it
before moving from the hanger to the grid, but the car is usually
parked very near the grid. My post was meant to show the benefits of a
written comprehensive (aka long) list vs. acronyms. I think the extra
items have really improved my safety and reduced frustrations. Some of
the words carry more meaning: *Camel back "closed" and "in reach" = 3
things (have it, not leaking on me, able to reach the hose). Cell
phone off and in side pocket = 2 things: (battery not run down due to
no service & not uncomfortable in my pocket). *Phone rings, not able
to get it out of my pocket, beeping every 30 seconds for the missed
call. Stuff like that really helped me.
~Bruce

I dunno; for landing at least I like to have the memorized checklist
(FUSTALL,
WUSTALL, WUFSTALL, depending on what I'm flying) because I think that
traffic patterns need extra vigilance to look for traffic. Remember
that most
mid-airs happen in the pattern. I can sure see the point of a
laminated
checklist for a rental plane or for a more complex plane (e.g. self
launcher).

For preparation, though, written checklists are a big help. Whenever
I go
to a contest I spend some time and create extra checklists for each
significant
point in the trip -- packing, leaving the house, picking up the
trailer at the airport,
tying down the trailer at the contest, assembly, grid time, retrieve,
and
going home. It would be Really Bad to be 600 miles away someplace and
realize you've forgotten something important, like your logger. Also,
the retrieve
checklist needs to be for someone else who will come get you when you
land out, because they won't neccessarily know all the details of
your car
and trailer.

-- Matt

checklists Private Piloting 5 February 6th 08 12:48 PM
Head wind takeoff into rising hills, or crosswind takeoff to open space ?? P S Piloting 7 September 20th 07 07:29 PM
Pre-launch Checklists. Nyal Williams Soaring 28 January 28th 06 03:30 PM
Pre-launch Checklists. keithw Soaring 0 January 26th 06 02:54 AM
maintenance checklists tony roberts Owning 2 January 25th 05 10:59 PM