std class wing length

Old December 10th 10, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default std class wing length

yes i know. 15 meters. but what is a typical length for each
individual wing.

starting to look at houses and need to make sure i have enough space
to spend winters sanding and spraying polyurethane. more is better of
course. 30 feet probably would be enough?
Old December 10th 10, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Tony,

I could go out and measure a '27; however, my guess is 26 feet counting the spar tip.

Wayne

Old December 10th 10, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 10, 3:52*pm, Tony wrote:
yes i know. 15 meters. *but what is a typical length for each
individual wing.

starting to look at houses and need to make sure i have enough space
to spend winters sanding and spraying polyurethane. more is better of
course. *30 feet probably would be enough?

Almost exactly 26 feet. To work comfortably you will need about 30
feet because you need to get around and be able to roll and handle. 10
ft wide is close to the practical min width unless you are willing to
always be moving stuff around.
Keep expansion possibilities in mind when selecting. A garage that can
be lengthened is ideal. We have 59 ft from garage door to back wall.
It also makes in and out easy.
Before the next question- trailers are about 32 feet.
We picked out house because it had a decent place to work on gliders,
and a place to live attached.
Good Luck
UH
Old December 10th 10, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Dec 10, 12:59*pm, "Wayne Paul" wrote:
Tony,

I could go out and measure a '27; however, my guess is 26 feet
counting the spar tip.

Yup. According to the drawings, my wings are about 25' 8" from the end
of the spar butt to the end of the default tip. With the tips sawn off
for winglet installation, it's about 25' 1/2".
Old December 10th 10, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Dec 10, 4:24*pm, wrote:
On Dec 10, 3:52*pm, Tony wrote:

[...]

FWIW. My friend's double-deep four car garage was about 32 feet deep
by 22 wide. Good enough for 1 wing plus 1 fuselage and a horizontal
stab or wing extension to be worked on simultaneously. My "standard"
two car garage fits one wing on the diagonal - barely. It's an ls8,
so it loses about a half meter with the tips removed
Old December 11th 10, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Dec 11, 9:52*am, Tony wrote:
yes i know. 15 meters. *but what is a typical length for each
individual wing.

starting to look at houses and need to make sure i have enough space
to spend winters sanding and spraying polyurethane. more is better of
course. *30 feet probably would be enough?

Half of 15m, plus half the width of a fuselage (call it 0.5m), less
removable winglets or interchangeable tips (e.g. for 18m).
Old December 11th 10, 10:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Dec 11, 8:24*am, wrote:
Before the next question- trailers are about 32 feet.

Careful ! 18-meter trailers (and Duo) are ~36 feet.
Which is a bummer after I built a 34' garage.
Good news: Spindelberger makes a removable
tongue model option, fits in 34' garage with tongue off.
Bad news: You won't find this on used gliders
and its a nuisance...

See ya, Dave
Old January 25th 11, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Just a follow up. We close monday on a 36 x 36 glider workshop with a
2 bedroom detached house.
Old January 25th 11, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On Jan 25, 2:12*pm, Tony wrote:
Just a follow up. We close monday on a 36 x 36 glider workshop with a
2 bedroom detached house.

I am jealous. Really jealous, (or is is envious?). Just wondering why
you need two bedrooms. (LOL)
Old January 26th 11, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 1/25/2011 2:19 PM, Grider Pirate wrote:
On Jan 25, 2:12 pm, wrote:
Just a follow up. We close monday on a 36 x 36 glider workshop with a
2 bedroom detached house.

I am jealous. Really jealous, (or is is envious?). Just wondering why
you need two bedrooms. (LOL)

Duh. To store the epoxy, paint, and other stuff that can't take heat or
cold.

email me)

Antenna and Coax Length ContestID67 Soaring 16 February 3rd 07 06:32 PM
com radio coax length Stew Hicks Home Built 3 October 21st 05 04:49 PM
Gyrocopter VHF antenna length Lew Home Built 2 August 18th 05 01:52 PM
antenna length Ken Home Built 4 March 31st 05 05:25 AM
F-104 Zero Length Launch Bjørnar Bolsøy Military Aviation 0 January 4th 04 11:40 PM